$400 to spend on a DAP and headphones
Feb 4, 2016 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Badam

New Head-Fier
I have been a long time lurker but this my first post. I have a pretty big deal closing at the end of the month and I have decided to spend $350-$400 to significantly up my personal audio game. After countless hours of obsessive research I think I have decided to get the Fiio X3 II and Audiotechnica ATH-M50x. From what I've read it seems like I wouldn't need an amp for this set up and they are both very good for their price point. I just wanted to check and see if there is anything else I should investigate while I still have time! I listen to mostly FLAC but a good bit of vinyl as well. I share an office so noise leakage is somewhat of a concern and my DAP has to have DAC capabilities but other than that I'm open to any suggestions. The headpones will be used 99% of the time for casual listening but I am currently trying to learn how to use audacity so I can convert my vinyl. As an "outsider" I have to say that y'all have a fantastic and friendly comunity here and I really appreciate the help!

Feb 4, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 24
Is there a reason you need a dap because a dap wont give a huge sound quality improvement ulike upgrading a headphone.

You can get like the hd600+ magni amp with that budget

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 24
The DAP isn't 100% just for sound quality. The only think I have capable of playing FLAC is my phone. I take calls pretty much all day for work and I really don't like to be attached my phone after work hours. I just don't like having my music that I love coming through something I hate. Does that make sense or am I being unreasonable?

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 24
The DAP isn't 100% just for sound quality. The only think I have capable of playing FLAC is my phone. I take calls pretty much all day for work and I really don't like to be attached my phone after work hours. I just don't like having my music that I love coming through something I hate. Does that make sense or am I being unreasonable?

you can just get the fiio x1 save that extra $70 and get the m70x or something thats more upgrade then fiio x3 2nd gen with m50x also uses 3 less ohms

also look into the closed cans beyerdynamic dt series with 32ohms

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 24
I was consdering the x1 but it can't function as a DAC and I don't have a good way to get my turntable to my headphones. Is there a reason I should stay away from the m50?

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 24
Probably a pretty solid combo. only tried a little but m50x seem like great all-rounders... guess it depends on your sonic preferences. (I have m70x, not best choice for casual listening imo).

Need for isolation somewhat limits choices, but your budget does put you in close range of some other popular stuff that could be seen as upgrades like audio technica msr7, vModa, NAD Viso from innerfidelity's wall of fame list.

My personal pick in range would be DT1350 but those are on ears, probably not as comfortable as m50x for wearing all day at the office.

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 24
I was consdering the x1 but it can't function as a DAC and I don't have a good way to get my turntable to my headphones. Is there a reason I should stay away from the m50?

Some people dislike the M50x for it's elevated mid-bass. I am more a fan of neutral sound by the way. With your budget you could also get better headphones.

I used to have the Beyerdynamic t51p and I loved their sound for commuting. These are the second most comfortable on-ears I've ever had on my head (more so than similar models like the DT1350) and certainly the best sounding portable on-ears I've tried. When in a wuiet environment i did use some equalization to bring doen the bass a bit. I now have custom in-ears and to me those are better overall.

Other closed over-ear options that are (just) within your price range and better sounding in my opinion:
Focal Spirit Pro
NAD VISO HP50 (best sound, mediocre build quality though)
Sony MDR1A (by far best comfort, lightweight, good build, sound not as good as the previous 2)

As for the DAP, what do you need the USB-DAC function for? I think that one of the recommendations I mentioned together with your standard sound card will still sound better than the M50x with an X3 II in between. The headphones will always be the weakest link.

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 24
When I said the $400 in my head the whole time I have been thinking $200 for the DAP and $200 for the headphones. The only set of cans I own are the Monoprice MHP-839 which are decent but I'm ready for a significant upgrade. I feel like it's already crazy enough to go from $15 to $200 and I just feel like going over that right now would be a would "over upgrading" if you will. Originally I was only going to get the M40 but the 50's for whatever reason really captured my attention and it seems like many folks say they are the best you can do under $200. 

Fair warning I'm still trying to figure all this out so there is a very good chance I'm not fully understanding what a DAC is. The reason I think I need a DAC is to get my pre-amped turntable to my cans. Currently I only have an old pos JVC that works but the location and adjusting volume is a pretty big pain and I figure running it through a DAC would be cleaner anyway. Is this true or am I very confused? 

Thanks so much for all yalls suggestions guys I really really appreciate all the help. 

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 24
A DAC is a Digital to Analog Converter, it won't be able to do anything with your turntable preamp's analog signal. Any digital audio device (your phone, computer etc...) will have a DAC of some sort.
The USB DAC functionality of the x3ii refers to that it can be connected and used as an external audio device with compatible computers.
For the purposes of converting your vinyl to digital, you will need an ADC- there are some DACs that also function as ADCs. I'm not sure which players might have that function. If your computer has a soundcard it might already.
For the purposes of listening to vinyl via your preamp, you will need a headphone amplifier with analog line-in. I htink there are some portable players that will function as headphone amplifiers. Not sure if x3ii does or not.

The m50x are very solid cans- but on head-fi they are generally considered as being a little below the next level of 'truly good, further upgrades are for maniacs only" I guess- the other suggestions were just given as options worth looking into because you have a little breathing room in your budget between x3ii and m50x (going by amazon prices- for instance a used pair of the highly rated NAD hp50 are <200 on amazon, the msr7 were on sale for ~190 recently etc...). Suggest reading this (though ignore listed prices, those are MSRP) http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

Anyway, If your main goal is to have a portable player you can also listen with from your PC & a good pair of headphones, I don't think you'd be doing badly at all with your current combo, but I don't believe it will function as a headphone amplifier for your turntable (can ask on the x3ii fanthread maybe).

If you don't mind losing the USB DAC functionality, you could probably swap x3 for a cheaper DAP like the X1, and also buy a cheap headphone amp for your turntable. Alternately, a USB Audio Interface might be able to accept line-in from your turntable and could function as a headphone amplifier, but also have the ADC functionality for ripping vinyl- I'm not familiar enough to make recommendations though.

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #10 of 24
Opinions differ and I honestly think there are better cans for under $200. Of course it always depends strongly on personal preferences, but technically I'd say the Shure SRH840 is a clearly better headphone.

A DAC is a Digital to Analogue Converter. That means that when you have a digital signal (like a CD, files on your PC or streamed files), the DAC converts those ones and zeros into the sine waves that the speakers or headphones turn into music. Therefore all devices that play digital music need a DAC chip.

A turntable is an analogue device that produces sine waves. That kind of signal is not suitable for a DAC. The best way to connect your turntable to a headphone is by connecting it directly to a headphone amplifier.

[EDIT] I was a bit late apparently. Double explanation can't hurt.

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #11 of 24
Headphone opinions are gonna differ a lot on here, and there are headphones around the same price as the m50x that are probably better I personally enjoy the CAL! and Momentums more, but honestly the m50x is a good headphone and is much MUCH better than that monoprice that I hated with a passion.

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #12 of 24
Please excuse my ignorance but will using the X3 II as a USB DAC make a noticeable difference over the on board sound card?

I'm feeling like I'm in way over my head hear. I thought I had a decent handle on this but now my head is spinning! Thanks for the education I am certainly in need.

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #13 of 24
Please excuse my ignorance but will using the X3 II as a USB DAC make a noticeable difference over the on board sound card?

I'm feeling like I'm in way over my head hear. I thought I had a decent handle on this but now my head is spinning! Thanks for the education I am certainly in need.

Really can't make a blanket statement about that, and I don't have an x3ii to begin with. Depends on particulars, sound preferences, but soundcard and integrated audio can be good or totally adequate, or bad. x3ii might have better amp section (more likely vs integrated, depends on specs) which could be beneficial, or might have a sound that you prefer... hard to say.

If you don't want a portable player, there are probably more cost effective usb dac/amp solutions. If you want a portable player and have a compatible computer, it's a good bonus feature.

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #14 of 24
I definitely want a portable player, like you said I'm really only interested in DAC capabilities as a possible useful feature but certainly not a deal breaker.

Learning that it won't work as well with my turntable as I thought is a much larger issue for me. That paired with all the awesome headphone recommendations has put me in quite the quandary.

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #15 of 24
Hi,

Welcome to headfi and sorry about your wallet...Soon these guys will have your budget up to 1000 dollars.

That aside, You now seem to have alot of DAp options in your price range, so you have a difficult choice. If most of your listening is going to be stationary, why not consider a small dac amp like the Fiio E17K and then splurge the extra on the headphones? And dont forget to consider used or refurb gear, you might find a really good deal. Then you just hook up to a laptop or pc with your music and listen along.at roughly $130, you leave a larger bulk of your budget for headphones. I listen to me Oppo PM3 headphones off of a Fiio E11k amp and an ipod touch and it rivals my desktop setup of a Modi 2 uber and Burson Soloist SL. So its definitely an option. If you need the DAP as your music source with the option of a DAC, then you might be on the right track.

As for headphones, I have heard good things about the AKG K553 which was selling out cheap recently... about 200 and they seem to be well regarded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back