~ $400-range IEM
Apr 29, 2024 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

dezzadk

100+ Head-Fier
Now I've tried and reviewed ZiiGaat Cincotres I've felt a void inside me..

Its like I didn't really get what I was looking for..

The Cincotres does well with mostly warm/bassy music, but as soon as a bright lead, percussion comes in or you hear ambient with a lot of details it seems very peaky and distorted in the treble.. A track either works or it doesn't and I feel like at least 1/3 of all music I throw at it doesn't work with it, which kind of degrades them to me to the point I'll be looking for alternatives.

The clarity, resolution and details I feel is a huge compromise with these, its like they sacrifice a neutral treble for getting somewhat crisp percussion and sounds tonally off or makes lots of music sound too bright/dry.

I have a few that I'm still interested in

Xenns Mangird Top ($530)
Thieaudio Mk3 ($999)
Thieaudio Hype4 ($399)
Truthear Nova ($150)

Truthear Nova is too much of a bargain to ignore, I'm only worried about the bass impact on these which most reviews on here seem to be critisizing - I'm not looking for something colored or overly warm/bass-boosted tho' I want a rather neutral IEM that works well with all kinds of music, but has enough impact in the bass to especially work well with EDM, techno, house, psytrance but also detailed and sparkly enough to work well with ambient, downtempo etc.

Xenns Mangird Top/Thieaudio Hype4 I feel like is nearing price-territory territory where I should be absolutely sure it will be a winner because otherwise its an expensive learning lesson that I already felt the Cincotres was - I felt like they were more fairly priced in the Truthear Nova $150 range tbh.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 39
It sounds like your describing the Moondrop Kato, or the blessing3 if you want a more rolled off, polite treble. I like the Kato more than the variations, has a versatile fun factor.

Apr 29, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 39
It sounds like your describing the Moondrop Kato, or the blessing3 if you want a more rolled off, polite treble. I like the Kato more than the variations, has a versatile fun factor.
The treble is not too sharp/sibilant, this is not the issue.. The issue is that it makes bright/dry sounds sound too dry most of the time.. It becomes very shimmering on some tracks.. I've not heard treble this colored before.. The IKKO OH10 has a tssch sound to the hihats (that I would describe as sibilant/harsh), but Cincotres just sounds far too dry/bright when there is actually "crisp" percussion if that makes sense?

An oldschool crisp dnb hihat or a synthwave clap/hihat sounds too dry, too bright

Apr 30, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 39
The new Elysian Pilgrim would be potential option in this price range.

May 1, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 39
I want a rather neutral IEM that works well with all kinds of music, but has enough impact in the bass to especially work well with EDM, techno, house, psytrance but also detailed and sparkly enough to work well with ambient, downtempo etc.
Fiio FH9 !

May 1, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 39
The clarity, resolution and details I feel is a huge compromise with these, its like they sacrifice a neutral treble for getting somewhat crisp percussion and sounds tonally off or makes lots of music sound too bright/dry.

I'm only worried about the bass impact on these which most reviews on here seem to be critisizing - I'm not looking for something colored or overly warm/bass-boosted tho' I want a rather neutral IEM that works well with all kinds of music, but has enough impact in the bass to especially work well with EDM, techno, house, psytrance but also detailed and sparkly enough to work well with ambient, downtempo etc.
I think you will need a DD to move the air for the bass you are looking for.
Maybe a nice double driver or a fancy switch BA IEM they have nowadays.
Tanchjim Darling looks interesting for what you are describing.

I haven't got to test alot in that range but on my list the seems fitting are
The Darling
Meastro Mini
CA Mammoth
---- geting farther from what you want.
Night Oblivion Butastur
Fearless Audio Paladin La Hire

May 1, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #9 of 39
I just fell into the trap of IEMs and got my first pair, I went with the Hype4. Reasons being mostly from nearly everyone trying them and enjoying them, and consistently being on "value king" lists. As someone that listens at home on a Susvara and DCA stealth on a TT2/Bliss combo, I do love the Hype4's. Not a single thing on these has ever gave me a piercing feeling when listening. The bass is boomy enough for me (granted I did read a few times this is a basshead IEM but it doesnt feel like it to me). I don't feel like its lacking anywhere to my ears. That said I'm sure without a doubt there are better IEMs at higher price points, but if you want a safe bet I would say the Hype4's are very good for their $400(sometimes on sale for less) price. I mainly got the DCA Stealth for isolation when I needed it, but I'm considering selling them now not because the Hype4 is better, but just that IEM isolation is so damn good and the sound is good enough for me.

On a side note, I did just get a balanced cable for it since I like to run a dongle dac off my phone(ibasso dc04 pro) and feel like it does sound better on the balanced 4.4 vs SE 3.5 port.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 39
If I understand correctly you don't want dark treble, you'd like bright/airy treble.

For great bass with nice top end the Xenns Top is a solid choice. It does have slightly dark treble, but not as much as the Xenns Up for instance. To me the treble extension is enough, and it's smoothness makes for a non sibilant top end. You could argue the bass is a bit too boomy at times, but I actually really enjoyed its slam.

If you like neutral with a bassboost, I would say the Monarch Mk2 instead of the Mk3. The Mk3 is less neutral and more U-shaped with spicy treble and huge bass. If you like this kind of tuning, you'll love it, but it's more of a specific taste imo.

I haven't tried it, but from what I've read the Hype 4 does seem like good value.

Have you considered buying on the used market? It gives you the opportunity to try out different flavors, which you can then resell without losing (much) money.

May 8, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #11 of 39
If I understand correctly you don't want dark treble, you'd like bright/airy treble.

For great bass with nice top end the Xenns Top is a solid choice. It does have slightly dark treble, but not as much as the Xenns Up for instance. To me the treble extension is enough, and it's smoothness makes for a non sibilant top end. You could argue the bass is a bit too boomy at times, but I actually really enjoyed its slam.

If you like neutral with a bassboost, I would say the Monarch Mk2 instead of the Mk3. The Mk3 is less neutral and more U-shaped with spicy treble and huge bass. If you like this kind of tuning, you'll love it, but it's more of a specific taste imo.

I haven't tried it, but from what I've read the Hype 4 does seem like good value.

Have you considered buying on the used market? It gives you the opportunity to try out different flavors, which you can then resell without losing (much) money.
Thanks for the nice answer! I do agree that the Xenns Top seems like a good contestant in this mix and it only slightly blows the budget.. Which used markets are safe tho? I feel like amazon used market might be the only one that could guarantee some sort of security?

May 8, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #12 of 39
Thanks for the nice answer! I do agree that the Xenns Top seems like a good contestant in this mix and it only slightly blows the budget.. Which used markets are safe tho? I feel like amazon used market might be the only one that could guarantee some sort of security?
You're welcome. :)

My friends and I only had good experiences with buying on Head-Fi. You can always check out people's feedback, and if you want more security you could buy from a first hand owner and ask for the receipt. Ofcourse there is always some sort of risk, but I personally calculate this in.

The amount I would have lost trying everything new, and then selling to get to know my preferences, is way more than if some of my current gear breaks. Which has never happened.

I also buy locally on the second hand market from time to time. Sometimes a thing seemed better than it was, but generally the state of the item was as stated. We're dealing with fellow audiogear lovers, so most of us take good care of our precious little gems hahah.

May 8, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #13 of 39
We're dealing with fellow audiogear lovers, so most of us take good care of our precious little gems hahah.
This is what I think about the smaller hardware forums as well, its better than the big crowd like craiglist, so yeah I get the idea I actually signed up to 2FA just to be able to access classifieds. I'd love to score myself some credibility in there as well, but sadly I don't have that kind of money to splurge regularly on audio gear, although it would probably be if so :)

May 8, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #14 of 39
I would look into the Pilgrim as more people give comparisons as they start getting them. HiFiGo finally got them on sale the other day and mine shipped yesterday so they are starting to get out there. Once Musicteck stocks them, then there will be a lot of them getting into peoples' hands for sure. The Quattro definitely punch above $400 and are solid all rounders with all kinds of music, unless you want a big soundstage. IMO.

May 8, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 39
Can get truly TOTL sound with a great fit in an Xelento these days for well under that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back