400$ range, beyer t 70 or hifiman he 400
Nov 14, 2013 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

thisjustanother

New Head-Fier
so i am pretty new to good audio headphones. and im wanting to get a good pair. been perusing these forums for a few months. ive taken a look at a lot of headphones and saw a lot of pictures to get a taste in what i like. ive gotten a taste for pretty basic non flashy headphones but big on audio. the beyerdynamic t70 and he 400 are a couple that have peaked my interest.

now i know these are 2 completly diferent headphones. one being a planar and the other just regular but still amazing pair.

i was going through ebay and saw both of them can be had at around 400$. now i just gotta decide what one i should get. i am leaning a bit more towards the he 400 just because i love the look of the drivers and just overall feel of them. the t 70s are nice too because of the basic look of them. 

what are some pros and cons to both headphones. im usually playing video games and listening to a lot of rock, metal, and symphonic classical esque music.

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 11
For gaming, you should probably go with a pair of open back headphones. As the T70 are closed-back, they won't offer soundstage, which is essential in gaming. As for music, i guess both are gonna do a pretty good job, but personally, i prefer open cans.

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 11
  For gaming, you should probably go with a pair of open back headphones. As the T70 are closed-back, they won't offer soundstage, which is essential in gaming. As for music, i guess both are gonna do a pretty good job, but personally, i prefer open cans.

I agree on your point that open back cans can give a more comfortable listening experience and a greater soundstage. But it means it will however disturb others because people hear exactly what you hear... if a little privacy is needed then I think closed back headphones can do a better job.  

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 11
Imo I don't think any of the 2 cans you provided is a good option. I've heard that T70 sounds a little lack of bass when it comes to rock and metal, which is a really important factor for your type of music. the Hifiman, well, forgive me I just don't like it... i've never heard them but Hifiman is "famous" for building quality. so i suppose you should reconsider your options..

Nov 15, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 11
you could go with a much cheaper option. The Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros (250Ohm) retails for around $150 on amazon. It's open back, great for both music and gaming with wide soundstage.

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 11
i havent listened to any of the headphones in question, but the he 400 are very highly regarded.  i would also +1 on the dt 990's, though i would recommend the premium.  they are more expensive (at least on amazon), but they are supposed to have a larger soundstage.  keep in mind that any of these headphones will NEED an amp, unless you go with a lower ohm version of the dt 990, or the t70 P (not the t 70), though they would still benefit from one.  

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 11
I currently own the HE-400s and owned the DT-990 pros for about 18 months. The DT-990 pros are an excellent pair of headphones for the money. They were my first pair of audiophile headphones, and they were an incredible step up from the Sony MDR-V6's that I had before. Easily the single largest upgrade I have experienced. They have powerful bass, a large soundstage and decent imaging. I strongly recommend the pros because they are significantly cheaper than the premiums and not that different.

The HE-400 is clearly better than the DT-990 IMO, but not by the same margin as between the DT-990 and low end headphones. They both have a similar overall signature, which is emphasized bass and treble, more of a fun balance, but also leaning towards the sharp and analytical. The HE-400 is just better in the technicalities. Deeper and snappier bass, better 3D imaging, more detail, faster and clearer overall. The HE-400 is solidly built, but the DT-990 has just as good or better build quality.

I can't comment on the T70, but the HE-400 is excellent. Hard to go wrong either way. One thing to keep in mind is that the T70 is closed, so it will block noise. The HE-400 is totally open. Both will greatly benefit from an amp. The HE-400 can be used without one, but you won't get the full experience.

Nov 16, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 11
I currently own the HE-400s and owned the DT-990 pros for about 18 months. The DT-990 pros are an excellent pair of headphones for the money. They were my first pair of audiophile headphones, and they were an incredible step up from the Sony MDR-V6's that I had before. Easily the single largest upgrade I have experienced. They have powerful bass, a large soundstage and decent imaging. I strongly recommend the pros because they are significantly cheaper than the premiums and not that different.

The HE-400 is clearly better than the DT-990 IMO, but not by the same margin as between the DT-990 and low end headphones. They both have a similar overall signature, which is emphasized bass and treble, more of a fun balance, but also leaning towards the sharp and analytical. The HE-400 is just better in the technicalities. Deeper and snappier bass, better 3D imaging, more detail, faster and clearer overall. The HE-400 is solidly built, but the DT-990 has just as good or better build quality.

I can't comment on the T70, but the HE-400 is excellent. Hard to go wrong either way. One thing to keep in mind is that the T70 is closed, so it will block noise. The HE-400 is totally open. Both will greatly benefit from an amp. The HE-400 can be used without one, but you won't get the full experience.

+1

Dec 14, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 11
thanks everyone for the recommendations. i ended up getting a pair of dt 990 premiums for 250$ from amazon. having used them for a few days, i am really enjoying them. they are super light and comfortable, the velour earpads are a dream. im not well re-guarded when it comes to measuring how headphones sound and terminology, but they are sounding amazing. even if the who myth or hype around doing burn ins, i did spend the last few days running music and pink noise at a higher than normal level for hours a day and using them normally when i wanted to.

ive noticed the bass isnt as big as i wish they were, but im not going to complain for what other features i get from the headphones. i hope to have these for quite some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back