$400 IEM advice
Nov 20, 2012 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Sammyboy

New Head-Fier
So I've been pouring over reviews and specs of various in ears. I made an account on here so I could ask some questions.

I need a pair of iems that can do everything pretty good. Don't we all!

I mostly listen to rock-Ish, electronic, and some folk. But I'm always exploring music and I love everything, so I wouldn't mind a good overall frequency response. I'm by no means a bass head but I enjoy some decent low end. I primarily listen through my iphone 5 and like the convenience of in line controls.

I have the shure SE215 now but I'm craving more detail and separation. My ears tend to be super sensitive to upper midrange. Rock (especially guitar) tends to sound harsh with everything I've owned so far, the 215s being the nicest.

I've been looking at these so far.

Shure SE535
UE900
Heir Audio 3.ai

I'm looking to spend no more than $400 I know the shures are $500 but I can get them cheap.

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 16
If you want neutral balanced sound without bright extended highs then RE272, PFE232 are highly recommended for almost all genres music. The other IEMs like Shure SE535, GR07, UETF10Pro, Sony XBA4 are overall good performer with all genres music.

Nov 21, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #7 of 16
The W4r is $350 apparently at earphone solutions with a 30% off coupon in the portable deals thread (posted today). I find them not to be fatiguing with excellent detail retrieval. The bass can be easily increased to your desired level with eq.

Edit.... HERE is the post

Nov 21, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
If you want neutral balanced sound without bright extended highs then RE272, PFE232 are highly recommended for almost all genres music. The other IEMs like Shure SE535, GR07, UETF10Pro, Sony XBA4 are overall good performer with all genres music.

The GR07 is quoted at less than 200$ on Amazon... still you say that its sound quality compares with much pricier models???
confused.gif
If yes then its simply a no-brainer for enthusiasts like me...

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #10 of 16
Above are all great choices, but I think that the Westone UM3x and the Heir 4.Ai are also fantastic choices. The UM3x tends to be on the darker side and great for vocals/mid-lovers. The Heir 4.Ai is similar to the Westone W4 in that it's extremely well balanced.

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
Above are all great choices, but I think that the Westone UM3x and the Heir 4.Ai are also fantastic choices. The UM3x tends to be on the darker side and great for vocals/mid-lovers. The Heir 4.Ai is similar to the Westone W4 in that it's extremely well balanced.

The Westone UM3x has a sound signature optimized for monitoring. I think the W4 is a great choice, being very balanced. I think the bass is a tiny bit boosted. It also has the advantage of having a mic control cable if you get the 4r.

Then again there's also the dual TWFK balanced armatures AT ck10, brainwavz B2 and DBA-02 which I think all perform almost to W4 level. If you don't mind EQ or having a analytical sound signature you might be able to save a great deal getting a TWFK based IEM.

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #12 of 16
I would say Westone 4/4R also, but get a pair of UE900 from the Apple Store and try it first then return it later.  That way you can have a base line from the UE900 to see what to keep.

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #13 of 16
The Heirs would be a great choice. And i think for their respective prices, theyre quite hard to beat. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #14 of 16
Went with the UE 900s. They sound perfect for what what I wanted. Well balanced while still being fun to listen to. Only downer is I'm experiencing the cable cutting out issue I've read about and also the button on the remote is being temperamental. I'm sure logitech has fixed these issues by now but I bought mine at an apple store and I guess I was the first one to buy a pair there so these are most likely first production run.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #15 of 16
That's not normal.  I have being using my UE900 for almost 2 weeks now with no issues.  You better go exchange it now.

Sheep

Users who are viewing this thread

Back