$400 budget - I'm researched out, please help suggest MP3, earphone, amp combo
Apr 14, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #46 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been chewing on your post now since you made it......I got all excited over the S:FLO2 & up until this morning was ready to pull the trigger. But a combination of pragmatism (your post) & further research is making me inclined to follow your line of thinking.

(1) Pragmatism -- I have to buy a new laptop this year to replace the old, economy laptop I am on. Since this is a necessary upgrade, I am thinking I should buy a good headphone amp/dac combo & high quality full-sized headphones when I buy the laptop. I can complete this mission by October. Being that I will do the majority of my listening at home, and most likely in front of a computer, this makes the most sense.

(2) S:flo2 -- I am reading posts on this forum where the S:Flo2 has trouble alphabetizing playlists, its buggy, and has trouble playing certain high quality FLAC files. Well, the WHOLE reason I am looking to invest in my music is to HEAR my music at the highest possible fidelity -- I don't want limitations on the SQ & I don't want to deal with bugs. $160 is a lot of money to me right now, and I just don't feel like taking the chance.

(3) So, while the S:flo2 is sexy, cool, and offers best SQ in its class, I am going with the Clip+, the Head Direct RE0 for home listening, and the Senn CX300 for walking. The money saved will offset the cost of the audio equipment I will add to the laptop, and the savings still allows me to collect & enjoy music in the present.

(4) Oh hell, I don't really know what I am going to do...........It looks like I've got another couple of weeks to make my decision. I'm sure I will read hundreds more posts & change my mind about 50 times before pulling the trigger. Who would have thought this hobby needed to be so complicated!

I was in the same shoe as you. Trying to come up with the best fidelity on portable...well it does have some sacrifices to be done. But then, I work most of the time with my laptop. So I wondered why should I get a portable source where as I can go with a good desktop rig with full headset. I do not want to hear anything low in SQ as well...

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #47 of 47
IMO get a solid, inexpensive rig for travel/mobile use and a better rig at home; or wherever you listen to the most. I wouldn't mind having a nice home rig but I have some nice speakers to listen to music with when I'm home (all genres except acoustic, classical, vocal because I listen to those with my equipment).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back