$400 budget - I'm researched out, please help suggest MP3, earphone, amp combo
Apr 11, 2010 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Roadsong

New Head-Fier
I have been reading through the threads for the last month, and researched extensively. That being said, I’d still love to have everyone’s suggestions based upon my criteria.

I’ve capped myself at about $400 to get the most SQ for the money. I prefer going the MP3 player route because I want portability for exercise, and really do not have room for any components in the house right now.

My source music will be CD’s converted to FLAC at the highest bitrate possible, and the occasional download from Amazon for music in which I am not as worried about having in the highest possible fidelity. I will be listening to classical and jazz for so-called critical listening in the house, and classic rock while walking for my morning exercise.

I am re-building my beloved music collection and audio system from the ground up after losing everything due to the recession. Getting my music back, is my first “reward” to myself after having tackled my financial obligations.

MP3 player -- I’ve read great reviews regarding the audio quality of both the Cowon S9 and the Sansa Clip+/Fuze. I am inclined to go with the Sansa over the Cowon at this point because I do not care a whit about video and the portability factor is a huge plus when walking….from the reviews on this forum, I have read that the SQ is comparable….am I correct on all of this so far?

Headphones -- I like the reviews I read on the Head Direct RE0. Though, I have also read that they are very microphonic and may not be the best choice for walking…..if that is the case, I will get a cheap but comfortable earphone for walking and the RE0 for listening to music at home.

Headphone Amplification – Here is the area in which I really feel out of my depth. I read the reviews extensively but am not the type of guy who understands all of the technical language. What I do understand, or at least think I understand, is that good headphone amplification creates a bigger soundstage and improves audio quality. I’m pretty open to suggestions on this section.

Now, allow me to embarrass myself, and share with you what I am thinking of doing with my $400.

Mp3 – Sansa Clip+ or Fuze (suggestions between the two would be great) – While a Cowon S9 would be nice, its about $200 more for the 32GB, I do not need the video, and the J3 seems to be right around the corner. So, I am inclined to go with an 8GB Sansa and add the micro cards as I increase my memory needs. I have found the Clip+ online for about $60 and the Fuze for $70.

Headphones – RE0………or, feel free to sell me on better alternatives. $80

Headphone Amplification – The ibasso D2+ is a headphone amp and dac for $170. That seems like a lot of bang for the buck – and, from my newbie perspective of being dazzled by fancy terminology, it seems like having a DAC is a bonus for improving audio quality. ALL suggestions in this area will be a great help.

So, if I go with the Fuze, RE0, ibasso D2+ combo, my total (without shipping) is: $320

I guess I also need a quality LOD to pair the player to the headphone amp, but I haven’t had much luck finding anything other than the one’s made for iPod. Please suggest a good quality/reasonably priced LOD.

The bottom-line is highest audio sound quality @ a max of $400.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!!!!

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 47
hi,

RE0 are definitely not the best for going to the gym, as the microphonics issue u mentioned, which occurs mainly at the wires after the Y split, as they are very sensitive to any kind of friction/movement when it comes to microphonics

the earbuds that come with the Clip+ are decent for using at the gym (i use them there).. but i need to run the Clip+ at about 90% volume since it's noisy in the gym with it's loud music and ppl and equipment going.. and earbuds do not have the best isolation

where will u be listening to ur music? (ie 50/30/20 home/commute/gym).. in a quiet environment, i listen to my RE0 + Clip+ at about 50% volume, so if you are looking at noisy environments, then maybe that's when u can consider a portable amp.. otherwise u may want to try and see how u find the sound of the amp-less setup first.. and then upgrade

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I’ve capped myself at about $400 to get the most SQ for the money. I prefer going the MP3 player route because I want portability for exercise, and really do not have room for any components in the house right now.

My source music will be CD’s converted to FLAC at the highest bitrate possible, and the occasional download from Amazon for music in which I am not as worried about having in the highest possible fidelity. I will be listening to classical and jazz for so-called critical listening in the house, and classic rock while walking for my morning exercise.

I am re-building my beloved music collection and audio system from the ground up after losing everything due to the recession. Getting my music back, is my first “reward” to myself after having tackled my financial obligations.

The bottom-line is highest audio sound quality @ a max of $400.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!!!!

Let me make it very easy and very clear for you and, at the same time, save you money and precious personal time.

* Highest audio sound quality DAP --> Nationite S:Flo2
* Recommended IEMs --> Etymotic Research ER-4P

You do not require a separate headamp although having one will give you further improvement. However, even without the help of a separate amp, the S:Flo2 will give you absolutely THE BEST SOUND QUALITY IN A PORTABLE DAP TODAY.

Don't just trust my words. Please refer to the very lengthy and detailed S:Flo2 impressions thread here.

Just my 2 cents...

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShenaRingo326 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where will u be listening to ur music? (ie 50/30/20 home/commute/gym).. in a quiet environment, i listen to my RE0 + Clip+ at about 50% volume, so if you are looking at noisy environments, then maybe that's when u can consider a portable amp.. otherwise u may want to try and see how u find the sound of the amp-less setup first.. and then upgrade

I will be listening in the quiet of home, and while walking through a quiet residential neighborhood.

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by worldman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me make it very easy and very clear for you and, at the same time, save you money and precious personal time.

* Highest audio sound quality DAP --> Nationite S:Flo2
* Recommended IEMs --> Etymotic Research ER-4P

You do not require a separate headamp although having one will give you further improvement. However, even without the help of a separate amp, the S:Flo2 will give you absolutely THE BEST SOUND QUALITY IN A PORTABLE DAP TODAY.

Don't just trust my words. Please refer to the very lengthy and detailed S:Flo2 impressions thread here.

Just my 2 cents...

I forgot about the S:Flo2!

I see backorders on the device. Any idea on delivery times from order date?

I do also like your idea of saving me money!
biggrin.gif

P.S. - Haven't I read reviews on the S:Flo2 that states that it has a very short battery life?

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 47
IMO if you want a home headphone, try a good full-sized headphone, open or closed. It's a different experience.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 47
Hey man. It's good to hear that you're recovering from financial hard times.

I can't comment (yet) on the S:Flo2 from personal experience, but I have one on order. They are supposed to be receiving and shipping a new batch in the second half of April.

Read up on it. It's reported to be a HUGE bargain as far as getting great sound quality in a portable, especially when you take into account that several users advise that it's amp section is good enough for most IEM's that you can skip the external amp.

For walking, I absolutely love my iPod Shuffle. It's a second gen that has the controls on the unit, rather than on the ear-bud cable, like the newest model. It's drives my TF10's well too. I'm not a fan of iTunes, so I modded it to be used like a flash memory device. The mod is readily available, just Google "Shuffle hack". I just drag and drop songs, and run a little database builder applet that stays on the Shuffle and I'm all set.

The Clip would also be a good choice for an ultra-portable source for exercise.

For IEMS, good luck man. The number of good ones to choose from is huge.

Quote:

P.S. - Haven't I read reviews on the S:Flo2 that states that it has a very short battery life?

From what I've read it's actually pretty good. Not as good as some certainly, but when you factor in that it has such a large screen, and those dual Wolfson dac chips, and a quality amp section, I'd say that 10 hours (I think I read that but I may be off on that number) is good.

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO if you want a home headphone, try a good full-sized headphone, open or closed. It's a different experience.

I hear what you saying regarding full-sized headphones. I have considered the Audio-Technica AD700.

If you think I am just getting swept away by all the swooning reviews regarding the RE0 & think full-sized headphones might be better for home listening, I'd love to get some feedback on that as well. Honestly, since my budget is restricted to keeping it all under $400, I just wanted the RE0 because it "felt" like I would be buying something I could consider audiophile grade (perhaps that's just psychological, but I wanted the IEM or full-sized headphone to have that something extra special)

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey man. It's good to hear that you're recovering from financial hard times.

I can't comment (yet) on the S:Flo2 from personal experience, but I have one on order. They are supposed to be receiving and shipping a new batch in the second half of April.

Read up on it. It's reported to be a HUGE bargain as far as getting great sound quality in a portable, especially when you take into account that several users advise that it's amp section is good enough for most IEM's that you can skip the external amp.

For walking, I absolutely love my iPod Shuffle. It's a second gen that has the controls on the unit, rather than on the ear-bud cable, like the newest model. It's drives my TF10's well too. I'm not a fan of iTunes, so I modded it to be used like a flash memory device. The mod is readily available, just Google "Shuffle hack". I just drag and drop songs, and run a little database builder applet that stays on the Shuffle and I'm all set.

The Clip would also be a good choice for an ultra-portable source for exercise.

For IEMS, good luck man. The number of good ones to choose from is huge.

From what I've read it's actually pretty good. Not as good as some certainly, but when you factor in that it has such a large screen, and those dual Wolfson dac chips, and a quality amp section, I'd say that 10 hours (I think I read that but I may be off on that number) is good.

The S:FLO2 is sounding more and more pragmatic. I suppose I can get a little 2GB or 4GB Clip+ & load playlists for the morning walks, but my real goal is awe-inspiring audio on my limited budget -- if the S:Flo2 is my ticket to audio nirvana, then I will take the plunge.

So, if I get the S:FLO2 for 160 plus shipping, that leaves me about $200 for headphones....hmmm, sounds like I need to go back to my research....AKG701's @ $250????? Senn HD595 for just under $200???? decisions, decisions!!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

....AKG701's @ $250????? Senn HD595 for just under $200???? decisions, decisions!!!
biggrin.gif

Hmm....I can't recommend the K701 (I've owned this model) for use out of a portable. Any portable. Don't know about the 595.

Knowing what I know now, after roughly 3 years in this hobby, I cannot recommend the Alessandro MS1 (or MS1i) highly enough.

And that goes double for your specific needs.

On a $400 total rig budget, the MS1 is far and away the can I'd choose. You mentioned 2 open cans in this post, so it also falls in line with your preference there it seems.

They are all I like in the Grado sound but without the fatigue I get from the Prestige Series. I loathe the Grado Bowls, but no problem here, since they come with comfies. And driven from portables, score again. No high-dolla amp needed.

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm....I can't recommend the K701 (I've owned this model) for use out of a portable. Any portable. Don't know about the 595.

Knowing what I know now, after roughly 3 years in this hobby, I cannot recommend the Alessandro MS1 (or MS1i) highly enough.

And that goes double for your specific needs.

On a $400 total rig budget, the MS1 is far and away the can I'd choose. You mentioned 2 open cans in this post, so it also falls in line with your preference there it seems.

They are all I like in the Grado sound but without the fatigue I get from the Prestige Series. I loathe the Grado Bowls, but no problem here, since they come with comfies. And driven from portables, score again. No high-dolla amp needed.

Well, the Allessandro's do come in about $100 bucks, so again, that does leave money left over for actually buying music to put into the PMP....and, if no amp is needed, I guess that headphone needs to stay at the top of my list.

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

I hear what you saying regarding full-sized headphones. I have considered the Audio-Technica AD700.

If you think I am just getting swept away by all the swooning reviews regarding the RE0 & think full-sized headphones might be better for home listening, I'd love to get some feedback on that as well. Honestly, since my budget is restricted to keeping it all under $400, I just wanted the RE0 because it "felt" like I would be buying something I could consider audiophile grade (perhaps that's just psychological, but I wanted the IEM or full-sized headphone to have that something extra special)

Look at it practically - there aren't huge benefits to being called an audiophile, honestly. Some of the technical people are downright derisive about it. If you want something amazing for home use, start saving up for a good full sized rig. But I do suggest you get a good $100 headphone first, it'll help you discover your sonic preferences.

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Look at it practically - there aren't huge benefits to being called an audiophile, honestly. Some of the technical people are downright derisive about it. If you want something amazing for home use, start saving up for a good full sized rig. But I do suggest you get a good $100 headphone first, it'll help you discover your sonic preferences.

I actually wince when I type the word "audiophile" -- I, too, have seen the term exploited by the snobbery set to exploit their ridiculously expensive systems. I am just content with hearing breath-taking details in the music....and if I get that kind of remarkable fidelity out of a cheap system, I don't really care what anyone calls me.

By full-sized rig, I assume you mean full-sized headphones.......no space for a spouse approved full-on component audio system at this time.

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

But I do suggest you get a good $100 headphone first, it'll help you discover your sonic preferences.

Yep. good call. And at the risk of sounding like a fanboi (ah screw it, who'm i kidding...I am
tongue.gif
) you'll have to spend lots more to get much better than the MS1. I'm listening to some Queen on mine now.

I noticed your sig says you're looking for an amp for your K701's.

FYI, I don't know your budget but Rockhopper has two M^3's built and ready to go now for $500 (each).

Edit: I just read the last line in your sig, so I'd say the M^3 is in your budget. You might want to read up on it. If I were shopping for a good ss amp for a K701, it'd be on my list.

Apr 11, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #15 of 47
If you want the best SQ for under 100 bucks, I'd definitely start with the s:flo2/T51. They're the same player FYI and sound amazing; they simply blow every other portable dap out there out of the water. And like a poster above me said, just go read the long review/impression/appreciation threads around here and you'll see what I mean.

The power output from the HO port is very strong so you probably won't need an amp now. That would leave about... 250 dollars to spend on headphones. What type of sound are you looking for? After skimming this thread I don't think you stated what types of music you listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back