$400 budget - I'm researched out, please help suggest MP3, earphone, amp combo
Apr 12, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #31 of 47
Hahaha if this was a different topic you would have opened that can, thrown the worms out, then let it rain (if that makes any sense lol)

I was just rambling a bit because I'm pumped from listening to the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks (which are amazing).

But you can take it however you want to; luckily the forums here are always full of people willing to buy/sell equipment (for sale section) so you can "always" sell your old equipment for funds to upgrade.

I would say to get the, what RE0s was what you were looking at right? for under 100 because they are damn good phones for that price. I wasn't saying to get the 4Ps, I was just stating how good they are (although their sig doens't appeal to everyone).

But I agree with what you're doing now. Get a fairly inexpensive, solid, great sounding portable rig now and save up for the "big" stuff IE: Home audio equipment down the road.

Good plan.

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did I open a can of worms?
icon10.gif

Just playing around, but seriously, questions like that simply cannot be answered, except by you.

$100 may be worth less to you than me. If you bring in six figures a year, $100 is peanuts, wheres the guy flipping burgers and living paycheck to paycheck my consider $100 a huge investment in a luxury item like heaphones/IEM's. And then there is the question of how much are you willing to pay for an extra smidgen of detail, or midrange smoothness, or bass impact? I might be willing to pay double the price of one product over another for maybe 2% better perceived increase in performance, while you wouldn't. You see what I mean?

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just playing around, but seriously, questions like that simply cannot be answered, except by you.

$100 may be worth less to you than me. If you bring in six figures a year, $100 is peanuts, wheres the guy flipping burgers and living paycheck to paycheck my consider $100 a huge investment in a luxury item like heaphones/IEM's. And then there is the question of how much are you willing to pay for an extra smidgen of detail, or midrange smoothness, or bass impact? I might be willing to pay double the price of one product over another for maybe 2% better perceived increase in performance, while you wouldn't. You see what I mean?

I've used to be the six figure guy, but now I am definitely the paycheck to paycheck guy.........I'm getting the RE0, the S:Flo2, and most likely also getting the Clip+ for walking.

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

The RE0 is $100 cheaper -- which begs the question, are the Etymotic's $100 better?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The biggest problem of the ER4S is the Head-Direct RE0, which can compete with the Etys on several key characteristics and costs just under ½ as much. When both are properly amped and outfitted with the right tips, choosing between the two can really come down to a question of preference and, with prices currently what they are, budget.

I think you have probably already come to this conclusion but I think you are probably better off saving with the RE0's and spending the savings made on some full sized cans later down the track.

Quote:

Stage One) Buy the S:Flo2 & follow Hero Kid's links to further research IEM's -- the Senn CX300 for walking, and a more detailed IEM for listening to classical & jazz in the quiet of my home.

If you want a cheap set of IEM's for jogging you could always spend an extra $10 and get the Beta Brainwavz Pro. See my post here...
Another recommendation for a cheap IEM that holds it own in terms of value would be the Meelectronics M9. You can currently get them for ~$20 from sites such as Buy.com, Overstock.com and the Meelectronics website if you use the SPECIAL_SAVINGS coupon code.

EDIT: Just to let you know, you are getting the set up I wish I had bought a few months ago. :/ Jealous.

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hero Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you have probably already come to this conclusion but I think you are probably better off saving with the RE0's and spending the savings made on some full sized cans later down the track.

Thanks...I will leave the full-sized cans to another discussion -- after I have done my research.

Quote:

If you want a cheap set of IEM's for jogging you could always spend an extra $10 and get the Beta Brainwavz Pro. See my post here...
Another recommendation for a cheap IEM that holds it own in terms of value would be the Meelectronics M9. You can currently get them for ~$20 from sites such as Buy.com, Overstock.com and the Meelectronics website if you use the SPECIAL_SAVINGS coupon code.

The Beta Brainwavz are like a $15 upcharge when bought in conjunction with the S:FLO2.......probably will go that route. I will check out the M9's as well.

Quote:

EDIT: Just to let you know, you are getting the set up I wish I had bought a few months ago. :/ Jealous.

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

.....and I look forward to getting to know all of you as this hobby turns into an obsession!

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

The Beta Brainwavz are like a $15 upcharge when bought in conjunction with the S:FLO2.......probably will go that route. I will check out the M9's as well.

I swear they are only $10.
"Nationite S:Flo2 16GB 3.5" Touch Screen (Preorder B3)
$174.50 $164.50
Sale: $159.50
Save: 9% off"

&

"Nationite S:Flo2 16GB 3.5" Touch Screen + Beta Brainwavz
$184.50 $174.50
Sale: $169.50
Save: 8% off"

Anyhow. I am seriously considering selling my D2+ in order to get a similar rig. I'm been umming and arring for ages. Regretfully. I'll see if I can make it work
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

I swear they are only $10.
"Nationite S:Flo2 16GB 3.5" Touch Screen (Preorder B3)
$174.50 $164.50
Sale: $159.50
Save: 9% off"

&

"Nationite S:Flo2 16GB 3.5" Touch Screen + Beta Brainwavz
$184.50 $174.50
Sale: $169.50
Save: 8% off"

Anyhow. I am seriously considering selling my D2+ in order to get a similar rig. I'm been umming and arring for ages. Regretfully. I'll see if I can make it work
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I just realized my mistake -- they ARE only $10! C'mon, how can one lose at that price if you had to compare them to those torture devices that Apple provides with their iPods.

Seriously, selling the D2+? I thought that was a benchmark for high fidelity in this class of DAP.

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed your sig says you're looking for an amp for your K701's.

FYI, I don't know your budget but Rockhopper has two M^3's built and ready to go now for $500 (each).

Edit: I just read the last line in your sig, so I'd say the M^3 is in your budget. You might want to read up on it. If I were shopping for a good ss amp for a K701, it'd be on my list.

I would love a M^3, but since I'm living in Hong Kong for now, the costs and hassle of shipping is unappealing and the DIY scene here is pretty quiet so if anything happened it'd be hard to service.

Quote:

By full-sized rig, I assume you mean full-sized headphones.......no space for a spouse approved full-on component audio system at this time.

Don't worry about it yet. Head-fi is a lifetime experience, I think, as is music. If you still like headphone listening after a year or two, think about an upgrade then. Maybe you can talk your wife into it by then, if not, I'm sure we can find a home DAC/amp that's not too obvious or hard to store
devil_face.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #39 of 47
Clip+ and the RE0, save the rest of the money for a desktop setup.

The sFlo:2 is actually pretty good for the money as far as portables go, but not worth the money over the Clip and Clip+.

Never, ever buy a portable amplifier.

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #40 of 47
Here's my current setup:

Sennheiser IE8: $250
Sansa Fuze 4G used: $40
16G microSDHC: $25
No amp.

Total: $315

You could go for an 8G Fuze/Clip+ if you believe in Rockbox. (You should.) If you want to stretch, you can go cheap on the headphones and get one of those so-hot 32G microSDHC cards at $200. I'm waiting for that price to ease a little before I take the plunge.

I rip mp3s at 320 kbps, since I usually can't A/B them vs. FLAC. IMO, if you're using IEMs and you're on a budget, amp money is misplaced headphone money. Splurge on the phones, amp later if you must. Volume's not a problem; I'm running at 45-50%

If at all possible, audition your headphones before buying. Phones can be good in very different ways, and there are probably good phones that you will dislike just because they are not your style.

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The sFlo:2 is actually pretty good for the money as far as portables go, but not worth the money over the Clip and Clip+.

I've been chewing on your post now since you made it......I got all excited over the S:FLO2 & up until this morning was ready to pull the trigger. But a combination of pragmatism (your post) & further research is making me inclined to follow your line of thinking.

(1) Pragmatism -- I have to buy a new laptop this year to replace the old, economy laptop I am on. Since this is a necessary upgrade, I am thinking I should buy a good headphone amp/dac combo & high quality full-sized headphones when I buy the laptop. I can complete this mission by October. Being that I will do the majority of my listening at home, and most likely in front of a computer, this makes the most sense.

(2) S:flo2 -- I am reading posts on this forum where the S:Flo2 has trouble alphabetizing playlists, its buggy, and has trouble playing certain high quality FLAC files. Well, the WHOLE reason I am looking to invest in my music is to HEAR my music at the highest possible fidelity -- I don't want limitations on the SQ & I don't want to deal with bugs. $160 is a lot of money to me right now, and I just don't feel like taking the chance.

(3) So, while the S:flo2 is sexy, cool, and offers best SQ in its class, I am going with the Clip+, the Head Direct RE0 for home listening, and the Senn CX300 for walking. The money saved will offset the cost of the audio equipment I will add to the laptop, and the savings still allows me to collect & enjoy music in the present.

(4) Oh hell, I don't really know what I am going to do...........It looks like I've got another couple of weeks to make my decision. I'm sure I will read hundreds more posts & change my mind about 50 times before pulling the trigger. Who would have thought this hobby needed to be so complicated!

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

I'm not a fan of portable amplifiers, but "never, ever"? Why not?

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not a fan of portable amplifiers, but "never, ever"? Why not?

Thanks, I also want the answer to that question.

Being pretty much a newbie to this hobby, I am wondering if a amp/DAC combo such as a iBasso D4 is NOT considered portable & falls under the category of acceptable..........

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #44 of 47
^Portable is whatever you're willing to carry around. It's not like there's some ubiquitous rule that your rig can't be (x) big or has to be (x) small.

Carry whatever you want with you
smily_headphones1.gif
Although it does get to a point where it goes from portable to transportable lol.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

totally agree with that !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back