400$ amp for Grado 325si and T70
Feb 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Synthax

500+ Head-Fier
Hello Audiofans,
I know it is strange marriage, but I like very much my T70, and lately also fall in love with Grado325si. Both seem to be easy to drive, but my speaker pre runs OK with T70 but has not enough current for Grados.. So I decided to look for a solution with some new headphone amp. I do listem simphonia, movie scores (Thomas Newman, Gregson Williams, Zimmer, acoustic music, some jazz (Bruback, MIles - rather classic jazz), vocal music (Sara K. , Rebecca Pidgeon, Melody Gardot).
I have limited budget the indicated amount may vary+/- 100$ if the amp will be just great.

I know which ones I do not like (previously listened or just not like)
- Asgard - like the space and details but the bass is to light for me (and It is not a metter of T70 - with my Crimson 610C the have enough bass, trust me. Also it is not dead silent at some levels of volume.
- Cayin - sounds very nice (synergy with Beyers) but the tubes hum is not acceptable for me.
- DIY's and clones as I'm not electronic and prefere not to 'tweak'.
- All to much fullfilled with op-amps constructions.
- Music Hall Ph25.2 - like it very much with grados but with T70 the bass is not that good controlled - I do not feel synergy of Beyers and Music Hall.
- Burson as it is too technical in sound characteristics
- Lehman same reason as above
- Heed (the lower price one)
- Pro-Jects - all

- I do not look for combo amp+dac.

Considering:
- Meier Audio (jazz or classic?)
- Little Dot I+ (hope it will drive T70 as they are easy to drive, am I right?)
- Lake People 109
- Dark Voice 336
- Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear
- Woo Audio the cheapest one (shipping is too expensive to my country, that I cannot consider higher models)
- Music Hall +/- as it sound pretty nice with Grados.. Absolutely organic vocals.

- Leben cs300 (used of course), does this amp work in my case?

What else could you offer to work with these absolutely alternate headphones?  May be a hubrid, ss. Priority is space, bass and such a airy vocals. All fullfilled with instrument's plancton. I like very much sweet sounding strings, and even I love natural cello bass I do prefere bright natural sound characteristis. That's why I did buy T70 over DT770. I can accept not extended trebles, but have to be sweet. 

Thank you in advance for you help and experience.

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 43
Consider the JDS Labs cmoy for the headphones you listed. Cheap. Excellent for those cans.

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 43
Quote:
Hello Audiofans,
I know it is strange marriage, but I like very much my T70, and lately also fall in love with Grado325si. Both seem to be easy to drive, but my speaker pre runs OK with T70 but has not enough current for Grados.

It isn't a model you mentioned, but I really like the ODAC+O2 combo, for its transparency, with my T 70 and SR325is (and HD-650 and DT 990 which don't get as much ear time as previously.)

Of course, that combo includes a DAC, which you didn't want, but the O2 is available separately.

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #6 of 43
So :)
I i look for a creamy, deep going bass, smooth sound with emphasized low-mids with not harsh treble what placebo amp should I consider?

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #8 of 43
Feb 20, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 43
You could try the Graham Slee Solo UL. I had the SRGii with my 325's and found it to be a great match, but I sold the 325's and had the amp upgraded. It sounds amazing with my PS500's and I've spoken to people who say that it matches very well with the 325 too. I'm dying to try out a Woo amp but I'm in the UK and am wary of the customs charges. I've read that the WA6 is a brilliant match for Grado too.

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #10 of 43
I have the same problem with Woo Audio products, except custom fee, the shipping is about 150$...
I will arrange GH audition in one of our hi-fi shops.

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #11 of 43
It really is a great little amp and pretty versatile too. It'll drive high and low impedance headphones and I've read that it's a good match for some of the orthodynamics - should you wish to take that upgrade path in the future. So far I've tried the Asgard and the Fostex HP-P1 and although they're both very competent with the Grados, the Slee Ultra Linear is just a different level altogether. It's said to mimic valve amps pretty well and you'll not have to pay out more for tubes and power supplies as all that comes as standard. In all honesty, I'd have preferred a Woo amp, but, as you say, the price of shipping (and in my case, customs charges) would have meant paying out an additional $350 and I'm pretty confident that the Slee will do just as good a job for your headphones. Not sure how much they are in the States, though.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #15 of 43
Well I see you already ordered your amp, but I was going to suggest the Bravo Ocean. Its available on ebay and there is a thread on these forums. Class A tube amplifier, all the reviews look pretty good, I am going to order one as soon as my refund check comes in, just to play around with and see what all the tube excitement is all about. I currently use a Headroom SS amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back