40 yearold + Head-fiers
Nov 28, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
Do any of the 40+ old members suffer from tinnitus?

thanks.

Most definatley.......I can hear it right now over the music in my headphones (too much coffee & cigs today). Wait................There now I can't ....but the music is too loud
eek.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 6:53 AM Post #17 of 37
Hirsch, you said "until I figured out how to tame them". That's what I'm working on. what are some of your secrets? for me, it's to change to a beyer dt831 full pad.

Nov 28, 2002 at 7:31 AM Post #18 of 37
maybe thats why us young people like more bass... in the middle of class a lot of times the tv will be from some video the kids watched in the previous period, and the screen will be completely black, but i can still hear that annoying whine from the tv, so i get up in the middle of class, everyone looking at me and i turn off the tv. everybody is looking at my like i am crazy... "doesnt that noise drive you nuts?"

"what noise?"...

according to Kwkarth, and to my memory, i think the tv is 16khz or something around there.... i know i can hear higher than that, but its still pretty annoying... course, half the kids in my classes are deaf from their cheapie phones blasted really loud.... i personally have my eq bass up on my rio ( 1/2X^2<50) or something like that;.. a few decibles, to even it out... but of course my 280s are a little dry on the bass anyway.. but they are pretty tight and deep... but my ex70s i have noticed dont seem to have much treble at all above 10khz... my 280s are much better i nthe highs.. but not perfect..

hey i have the perfect hearing test!!! if you cant hear the high pitched noise from your tv (16khz?), you might have really bad hearing....
biggrin.gif

can you all hear that noise??? turn on your tv, can you hear it?? can you???

or do you not jump when someone scrapes their fork or knive on their plate in that occasional loud screetchy fasion?

we should have a thing :

"you know you're deaf when..."

...."_"

Nov 28, 2002 at 7:31 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
Hirsch, you said "until I figured out how to tame them". That's what I'm working on. what are some of your secrets? for me, it's to change to a beyer dt831 full pad.

Depends on the headphone. I like to tube an amp for the specific sound of the main headphone I'm going to use with it. ZOTL+6SN7GTB will produce a high end glossiness with HD-600 most of the time, but is find with CD3000. The why is beyond me. Various cables work well with different headphones. Some cables will cause some headphones to become overly bright. Again, I don't know why. IMO the Sennheiser pad is the answer to the RS-1, in many applications. Since making the switch to that pad, I actually like the RS-1, to the point that my W2002 is never used anymore.

The real key is taking a bunch of components, and creating a system out of them. That's one of the reasons I keep a bunch of amps and headphones around. I'm not locked into any one particular configuration, and can try various combinations of components until something locks on. Often a hit or miss proposition. There's no real science to it on my part, and results are often unexpected.

Nov 28, 2002 at 8:52 AM Post #20 of 37
HI: I am 60 + and just have the ATH-A1000 shipped and use my MAX Out META42 and still listen to pink Floyd. The ATs agree with me at my age and sound great right out of the box. No cable upgrade and no mods. I had the ATH-A100ti and they were awesome. My hearing seems find and am still in great shape. I got the ATH-A1000 because of the D.A.D.S. system and other upgrades that they have.

Nov 28, 2002 at 10:28 AM Post #23 of 37
I'm 46+. I get an equal amount of pleasure from my HD-600s, SR-325s and ER-4Ps. Have always run my speaker-based systems with the tone controls at dead flat...no desire to boost the treble. Had my ears tested about 2 years ago at work and was told that they were fine although I know that based on music I've listened to for 30 odd years that there has been some amount of loss.

Nov 28, 2002 at 1:34 PM Post #24 of 37
I'll be 40 in April. My wife is 34. Even after several years of concerts and other aural abuse (which she never went through), I can still hear things that she can't.

Actually, I think hearing is partly a matter of ability and partly a matter of training, education, and interest. I'd bet a lot of people could be trained to be able to decipher sounds and listen for differences that others don't hear (and I'd bet that many folks here have done so!).

Unfortunately, while many younger folks may have hearing that functionally SHOULD allow them to hear well, it seems the vast majority of folks don't have the training or interest in hearing/listening. Maybe the more "experienced" ears and brains of the folks here have lost a bit of functional ability in the high frequency spectrum. But they likely compensate through their training/education/interest.

Bruce

Nov 28, 2002 at 2:37 PM Post #25 of 37
I am 46 and I own grados. I agree with Hirschs comments. I like a phone with a forward signature as long as its not to bright. Unfortunately this is my taste in women as well. NAH! Just kidding.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 2:49 PM Post #26 of 37
I am 52 and split my time between my HD600's and Ety ER-4S's. When it is nice and quiet I like the Senns. My hearing is pretty good I think. I was lucky early in my career when I worked around jets and would never have gone near them without hearing protection. This carried over to most everything else.

Nov 28, 2002 at 6:18 PM Post #27 of 37
I never realised there were so many older Head-fiers. We have 60 year old Pink Floyd rockers? That's ****ing awesome and good to hear. I'm 44 and listening my way through a stack of Floyd bootlegs I just recieved in the mail. Sadly, since I developed tinitus, no more headphones for me (it triggers my tinitus something fierce). Kind of takes the fun out of this site, but I still enjoy the talk here and I can still lust about cds and other equipment. (Still haven't had the heart to sell my beloved Senns).

Nov 28, 2002 at 6:44 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
Sadly, since I developed tinitus, no more headphones for me (it triggers my tinitus something fierce). .

Have you noticed an improvement in the Tinitus after giving up headphones?

Nov 28, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #29 of 37
Well, I know overdoing it with headphones was the cause of the tinitus. I didn't heed the warning signs (fatigure, aches) soon enough and, boom, I developed tinitus one evening. So I stayed off the headphones for about 10 months and gradually I began to acclimate to the tinitus (though it can flare up from loud sounds). I recently had a big flare up when I got my new D-777 and, like an idiot, listened to it for about 3 hours through my 888 earbuds. My tinitus came back very badly and it's still pretty bad (and I wasn't listen ANYWHERE near loud. I had the output on the D-777 at ZERO!!), but I think its SLOWLY getting better. So, yes, I think getting off headphones will help, at least I know that's the case with my tinitus.

What are you other guys doing to deal with tinitus? I was on Xanax for months and months and now I'm trying to wean myself off.

Nov 28, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #30 of 37
I'm a youngin so I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

The frequency of tinnitus among members here, considering the (relatively) young mean age, is something that I find surprising. Guys who haven't hit 30 yet shouldn't have hearing problems, and I'm lucky I don't. But its still something I get worried about - your guys' input in this regard is much appreciated.

Have you found that the problem has compounded over the years or did you simply find that switching over to speakers/lowering listening levels/other methods kept tinnitus under control?
Quote:

Unfortunately, while many younger folks may have hearing that functionally SHOULD allow them to hear well, it seems the vast majority of folks don't have the training or interest in hearing/listening. Maybe the more "experienced" ears and brains of the folks here have lost a bit of functional ability in the high frequency spectrum. But they likely compensate through their training/education/interest.

-BDA_ABAT

Well said. I've also found that people who first enter audio have a habit of turning the volume up, while people who've been into HiFi for a while keep the volume low and look for amps and transducers that keep their character at lower volume levels. I think part of training one's ears (or as I consider it learning to listen closer) is looking for notes and instruments to present themselves instead of turning up the volume while looking for more detail.

Another question from curiosity: do you guys, as 40+ old members, find that you listen to music at higher or lower volumes as time passes? For those with known loss of hearing: do you turn up the volume to compensate or do you find its unneeded?

thanks again.
carlo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back