~40 USD earbuds? PK3/MX580/other?
Jun 24, 2010 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jjpjimmy

New Head-Fier
This is in continuation of my other request thread, but I'm still looking for Earbuds.

I've been reading around and found the mx580 and pk3 to be very close in the price range, also they both have excellent cable length. Although, the mx580 has some worrisome attachments along it's wire...as I will be running the cable behind my back and into my pocket.

I've read couple of threads...they all say mx580 sounds like a pk1, so they must be good?! But I can't purchase one without knowing one thing...

If you have a mx580 and don't mind answering this...please?

Also are there any other earbuds just as good/better that are around this price range WITHOUT volume controls or things on the wire?

How does a MX470 compare to a MX580?  (read though this)
Found a MX581 on Newegg...Any word on them?

I listen to a lot of everything. Classical, rock, trance, Metal, J-pop.
If it means anything I really like the sound character of the PX100

Jun 24, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 6
On the MX580, there are about 18 inches of cable separating the volume controller and the buds themselves, with about 2 inches between the volume controller and the Y-split.  The volume controller is 2 inches long, from which extends another 30 or so inches of cable before entering the plug.

I haven't tried the MX581, but it might be a good choice if it does indeed sound like the MX580 and it has the better cable to boot.

You may also want to look at the MX470 and MX471 as they don't have the volume controller.

Just saw your edit.  I would say from my experience with the MX580 and MX471 that the MX471 is probably closer to what you're looking for.

Jun 24, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 6
Funny how i just read a post you made far back ok the same topic. (i linked it on my post :D)

in your description, you only mentioned a volume controller. i presume the Cable slider is removable?

Ehh...NVM
Newegg has this in the description of all the mx##1's...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106434
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106433
"Designed for a woman's ear" --what is that suppose to mean?!

Seems like I'll be getting a MX471/pk3. I'll hold up on the purchase for a bit more responses.

Jun 24, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 6
The MXxx1s have a smaller diameter housing that fits better for those with smaller ears.  Pay no attention to Sennheiser's goofy marketing.
tongue.gif

Here's a quick and dirty pic that illustrates the difference:

EDIT: The cable slider is not removable but it does "lock" into the Y-split.  In fact, at first I didn't even notice that the MX580 had a slider.

Jun 25, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 6
Whoa man, Thanks a lot. I couldn't see that from the Newegg images.
I guess smaller is better since my previous earbuds from years back fit too tightly and hurt.

Now.. where to order from when i do...

JR -20$
B&H - 20$
Amazon - 20$

newegg...(they cost so much more) -25$ BUT 1 day shipping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back