4 years of Head-Fi & prevarication later...
Mar 24, 2008 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mnemonix

100+ Head-Fier
Has it really been 4 years? If you're wondering about my post count it's a testament to the search function, but I digress. I think I've researched enough and whilst having acquired 3 pairs of headphones along the way, it's time for me to resolve my findings into a somewhat reference system ("reference" to me anyway).

The MS1's tell me I'd like one of RS1/RS2/MS-Pro but also that I need a contrasting can. The highs tire me sometimes, and I listen to a huge range of music from acoustic to electronic, rock, jazz & classical.

The other cans most likely won't be AKG's though I love the 601's, may possibly be hd650's though I've yet to be convinced I like the Senn sound, but my recently acquired ATH-ESW9 are the last pair of research cans in this respect, for a flavour of closed cans and the AT sound (I needed a portable pair anyway).

So with this in mind, 2 pairs of contrasting top tier phones, I'm trying to pick an amp. I have one proviso, unless it represents an unacceptable compromise, that it needs to function as a pre-amp between my Firewire Solo and my Arcam as well (of note is that the M-Audio offers a balanced out). So far I've considered the Woo3, Little Dot IV, Darkvoice 332 - all tube amps, because I'm attracted to the notion, but would consider anything up to around $600 or so. Much more than this + the headphones and I may as well start thinking about Stax, in which case I can see another 4 years of prevarication!

Any ideas on the amp ? the second pair of headphones ? a completely different solution ?!

Mar 24, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 10
Can I change the thread title? it was meant to imply an avoidance of decision making and ultimately the truth, that my wallet was going to suffer eventually.

Mar 24, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnemonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I change the thread title? it was meant to imply an avoidance of decision making and ultimately the truth, that my wallet was going to suffer eventually.

Liar.
tongue.gif

Edit your first post using the "advanced" option and you'll find the option to change the title.

Mar 24, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 10
prevarication
n 1: a statement that deviates from or perverts the truth [syn: lie]
2: intentionally vague or ambiguous [syn: equivocation, evasiveness]
3: the deliberate act of deviating from the truth [syn: lying,
fabrication]

So are u calling us liars or calling yourself one?
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect you procrastinate rather then prevaricate, though, I've been known to prevaricate about my procrastination. Uh, what was the question again?

I think he's looking for an amp to go with his headphones.

Off topic, but I always enjoy these threads because they remind me that there are lurkers among us who really enjoy the site but for whatever reasons choose not to post much. This is good to know in the sense that the collective expressed wisdom (or lack thereof) on Head-Fi can be useful on a broader scale.

Mar 25, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 10
Sorry mnemonix for being such a wiseacre, its a weakness of mine.You might want to break this down into two threads. One here in the amp forum with your amp question (a more to the point title might help) and another thread in the headphone section with your headphone question. You'll probably get better responses. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back