4-pins XLR balanced EXTENSION cable
Mar 14, 2023 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Lolito2

AKA Lolito
Banned
Hallo!! If this has been asked before, please post the link here, thanks. I wouldn't want to open any repeated topic and make any internet person angry.

I have a balanced singxer sa1 amp, and audeze lcd cans. This amp sounds much better with the balanced connection. i already have a 1.5 or 1.8 xlr balanced cable for it, for my desk. Now, i have a sofa 3 meters away. I would like to purchase a 3 meters long extension cable (male-female connections). It is very easy to find in 3 pins, but pretty much nothing in 4 pins for headphones. I even bout cable and neutrik connectors to solder a DIY cable myself, but i just dont know how to check the continuity of it with my multimeter, it is copper cable.

If anyone could please tell me where in the EU can I purchase such cable, or even better, how to check continuity in long copper cable so i can solder my own cable, I would appreciate it really a lot.

Thanks!!!

Mar 14, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 12
5 meters also fine. With 5 meter i could reach my whole apartment balanced :wink: Already have a great 5 meter not balanced jack extension and jack audeze cable. Sound though is just very good, but certainly worse than with the balanced connection.

Mar 14, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 12
You can get great quality cables from @jfunk of customcans.co.uk, unfortunately brexit made it harder for us in the EU.

You can check continuity with a cheap tester from an electronics shop or buy a dedicated cable tester from Thomann.de

For example this one https://www.thomann.de/intl/millenium_mct20.htm tests almost everything including bare wire.\

These are also good and run some automatic tests:

https://www.thomann.de/intl/behringer_ct100_cable_tester.htm
https://www.thomann.de/intl/behringer_ct200.htm

I have all three mentioned, I like cable testers :D

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 12
Thank you so much, but yeah, custom cans is an awesome guy, would happily order from him if it wasnt for the import taxes. Great guy.

Abou that device, shouldnt any proper multimeter perform the same job, for a bare cable? i only really need it for bare cables before soldering them. I have a proper digital multimeter, it works testing connector pins as they are so short, but with 2.5m cables I dont know how to do it. Thanks again!!!!

Mar 14, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 12
Thank you so much, but yeah, custom cans is an awesome guy, would happily order from him if it wasnt for the import taxes. Great guy.

Abou that device, shouldnt any proper multimeter perform the same job, for a bare cable? i only really need it for bare cables before soldering them. I have a proper digital multimeter, it works testing connector pins as they are so short, but with 2.5m cables I dont know how to do it. Thanks again!!!!

Yes, but...

Well with XLR cables it's a bit tricky, you can test the bare wire of course but you need to make sure you solder the three wires symmetrically on the male and female connectors. It is just a lot easier to test an XLR cable with a computerized tester like the Behringers. Well worth the price.

Multimeters can do tons of stuff but a dedicated cable tester is better if your main goal is making your own cables or checking cables.

Also look in the DIY forum cable threads. Lots of good info (you need XLR pinout diagrams to make your own) and pics.

Mar 14, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 12
Mar 14, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 12
Yes, but...

Well with XLR cables it's a bit tricky, you can test the bare wire of course but you need to make sure you solder the three wires symmetrically on the male and female connectors. It is just a lot easier to test an XLR cable with a computerized tester like the Behringers. Well worth the price.

Multimeters can do tons of stuff but a dedicated cable tester is better if your main goal is making your own cables or checking cables.

Also look in the DIY forum cable threads. Lots of good info (you need XLR pinout diagrams to make your own) and pics.
Yes, I understand all that and agree with you, but i need to test the cable before soldering, otherwise i dont need to test the cable, i already know it was soldered wrong, LOL. I know the symetrical thing indeed, very important. But again, I need to test bare cables pre soldering, i would need to buy the device you linked, if it really can test bare cable runs, or, know how it should be done with a multimeter. I just dont want to spend the money un-necessarily, it would ot be a good thing for the emviroment and future generations living in this planet, LOL.

Mar 14, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 12
Try this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/154206911431

Location? We're giving suggestions and you say import taxes..

His posts say EU, so I know that if you pay more than 135 euros including shipping, the EU screwing begins.

And for us in CR, we have to fill out customs declarations for most packages coming from outside EU (that includes England) and proof of transaction matching the invoice stuck on the package. Royal PITA...

Mar 14, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 12
Yes, I understand all that and agree with you, but i need to test the cable before soldering, otherwise i dont need to test the cable, i already know it was soldered wrong, LOL. I know the symetrical thing indeed, very important. But again, I need to test bare cables pre soldering, i would need to buy the device you linked, if it really can test bare cable runs, or, know how it should be done with a multimeter. I just dont want to spend the money un-necessarily, it would ot be a good thing for the emviroment and future generations living in this planet, LOL.

I'm not sure what you want to do. The Millenium tester also tests bare wire, it comes with leads that plug into those red and black jacks and they're standard banana jacks, The included cables have probe ends which are not useful for testing wire, but you can. But no advantage to a multimeter there.

For XLR cables, the wires are already color coded. Unless you have a reason to suspect the wire is broken, you just solder according to the color and pinout diagrams. I have never used a multimeter to make XLR cables, I use cable testers when I'm done.

When I reterminate an existing 1/8th inch cable to 1/4 inch I often have to use a multimeter with clip probes to know which wire is which, since factory cables are often not color coded.

Mar 14, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 12
thanks a lot, that is exactly what i need. but it is almost 90€ shipped for the 5 meters... jaiks. I might just stay unbalanced if that is the cost... or just get a 3 metter headphone cable... hum....

Check the Thomann.de site for the cable you want, they have many and you will pay VAT and at most 15 euros shipping. The site search is terrible though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back