4 ohm or 8 ohm? does it matter?
Aug 8, 2007 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

surge

100+ Head-Fier
hi,

i recently bought a pair of rogers studio 5 speakers. i have since hooked them up to my amp. there is no indication what is the impedance of the speakers. there are 2 sets of speaker output on my amp- 4ohm and 8 ohm?

does it matters which to hook on to? what happens if there is impedance mismatch? thanks for all the help

Aug 8, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 5
http://202.186.86.35/audio/story.asp...996/4/043roger

In the above review they state that the impedance is 8 ohms, but it wont damage the speakers or the amp if you play them from the 4 or 8 ohm. The 4 ohm is designed to handle more amps, (remember amps= volts/resistance) so see which one sounds better.

My feeling is that you should play them from the 8 ohm tap because the 4 ohm section in some cheaper amps may have circuitry that limits the watts so that the current does not go way up and require beefier parts. (an example would be the Yamaha receivers with a 4 or 8 ohm switch)

Aug 8, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by giff07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://202.186.86.35/audio/story.asp...996/4/043roger

In the above review they state that the impedance is 8 ohms, but it wont damage the speakers or the amp if you play them from the 4 or 8 ohm. The 4 ohm is designed to handle more amps, (remember amps= volts/resistance) so see which one sounds better.

My feeling is that you should play them from the 8 ohm tap because the 4 ohm section in some cheaper amps may have circuitry that limits the watts so that the current does not go way up and require beefier parts. (an example would be the Yamaha receivers with a 4 or 8 ohm switch)

thanks for the link?! been searching for awhile but found nothing. anyway i tried on both 4 ohm and 8 ohms. i find that at 4ohm, they are more pleasant th listen to. vocals are more laid back and highs are clearer.

spent almost 2 hours testing between 4 and 8 ohm and have decided to stick to 4 ohm. but its good to know that e impedance is 8 ohm. thanks
orphsmile.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 5
I have had the Rogers speakers and they are a difficult load. For most amps I would use the 4 ohm taps.

Can you hear a difference?

Aug 8, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had the Rogers speakers and they are a difficult load. For most amps I would use the 4 ohm taps.

Can you hear a difference?

yes. let me try my best to describe:

at 8 ohm- highs are very clear and forward. at higher vol, they highs seems to jumble up all together and it becomes hard to hear what she is singing( female vocals). and the singer seems to be in front of the speakers. AT higher vol, the music and vocals seems to just rush out all together! tends to get noisy than loud

at 4 ohms- the music gets push back deeper. the vocals also got push back, almost at the same line as the speakers. at louder vol, its obvious that this produces clearer vocals. the highs of female vocals is clear and you can hear what she is singing clearly. At higher vols, the vocals gets clearer and more pleasant to listen to...

all said, i think i prefer the 4 ohm. basically i just decide on what i like to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back