4 ETY in different case
Mar 31, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #46 of 62
Question is does it effect sound? Also I'd love to see a step-by-step on how you did this?

Scott

Mar 31, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #47 of 62
It has enormous effect!
biggrin.gif

Sound became so clear, so airy. Soundstage has improved...
Very useful mod.

Mar 31, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #48 of 62
1. Take one teabag!
wink.gif

2. Ñut it to turn out two pieces of a paper.
3. Then cut small circle (6mm dia.)
4. Next step is to place filter on the phone tube and to put on foam smoothly. (be carefull, you can tear filter.)

Mar 31, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #49 of 62
I guess that it is assumed, but you do have to remove the original green filters, right?

Mar 31, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #52 of 62
KPOT, Nooooo stop the mutilation!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

Apr 6, 2004 at 3:00 PM Post #54 of 62
Schematics are wrong.

Former 4P wire was tinsel center conductor with spiral wrapped shield with Santoprene insulation. We had the wire made for us.

The Santoprene did not help us with noise like it did with other products. The stranded spiral wrapped conductor was not near as durable as the tinsel conductor. This is one reason we switched to the braided tinsel used currently in the ER-4S

I wont get into a stupid arguement about who makes the best metal film resistors.

The green filter is an acoustic resistor of 1500 cgs ohms. The filter also helps protect the system from wax. The effective size of the tube isn't changed by the metal holder. Any other substance you insert into the tube will have a different resistance and might start adding inductance and compliance.

I would not recommend destroying your ER-4's. The sound delivery system is superior to the ER-6 even though it doesn't have a clear case.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Apr 6, 2004 at 4:23 PM Post #56 of 62
I can understand Mr. Wilsons frustration. Having spent long huors perfecting the Etys for optimum performance, and then seeing this mayhem (nicely mixed up with semi-true statements about the stock quality). Given the undoubtably complicated process in designing this phone surely something as simple as the filter must also have been carefully selected to match the phone perfectly. It is hard to imagine that replacing this filter with crude paper and other "crap" should result in massively improved sound quality compared to the solution deviced in the Ety research lab. But I'm sure the effect is "enormous"
eek.gif

I still think the ER6 case looks much cooler and professional than the kiddy coloured ER4 cases. I like this mod. It could be nice if you could get whatever case you liked when you ordered your phones.

etysmile.gif

Apr 6, 2004 at 4:35 PM Post #57 of 62
Sorry about the "crap" statement. I edited it out.

The way the sound channel is layed out on the ER-4 is better, and the smaller diameter tube allows a better fit in smaller ears.

The red and blue on the ER-4 is actually the molded colors on the cable plugs. It is a standard in the industry (at least it used to be) for left and right. (red/right/ring)

When did clear become professional?

Apr 6, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #59 of 62
He, he - I might be wrong about the "professional" stuff. It was just my personal feeling. The read/blue stuff look like you've showed some plastic toys up your ears like a little kid
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #60 of 62
I think Don should make more comprehensible case for er-4 line. Cause etys looks like 2 bucks chinese phones. Many people think so...
Also Don can make new modification, something like er-4 street...
AAHH! It is good idea to make them of titanium. Style and quality...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back