4 cans, only two amps...and they're both WRONG (long post, sorry)
Jan 31, 2009 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

dave650

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everybody,
When I buy headphones, I am new to it (proper headphones) , I must let price decide what to buy at opportune times, like when last year the AU dollar was neckin' it with the US dollar, and people on ebay let me layby so that's a good way to get headphones too. I'm not rich. My 3rd set of cans are 10 years old and rather pricey in the end, won on ebay, my 4th and not by a loooong shot final pair comes to me with a broken end. So I get away with joining the wallet community on a budget, but the problem is the money very much decides what I buy, the opportunities I get. A lump of $500+ in one go is just not on the agenda, and these are the cans I own, in order of how I got them, described earlier:

*Sennheiser HD650, silver silk, no mod
*Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250 ohm, new, no mod
*Sennheiser HD580, 2nd hand, 10 years old black silk, refurbishing, no mod
*Beyerdynamic DT770 80, coming soon.

Okay, so I pre explained why I appear to have a narrow band in taste, and now the questions:

*Be honest. I screwed up when I bought the Grado Hi Gain to power the 650s, my only pair at that point.
*The L-top pepper II amp I have should be given to my brother as a present.
*I need at least 3 better headphone amps, two with tubes.
*I should trade, trade, trade.
*Or I should sell, 4 pairs can equal 1 PAIR of cans.
*Or I should hoard like an old cat lady.

If you have a moment and live and breathe headphones, please take the time to answer them statements true or false, based on what your brain just says straight away.
What would you all do with these headphones and stuff?
I know tube amps seem to be the go with the 650s, but would love to know if there is any solid state amp that is flat out recommended for them, see, my sennheisers are my techno breakbeat cans, I don't mind the darkness I now hear with such sonically strong music. Let's exploit the darkness and maybe cut a hole in the foam to get a tiny bit back. Stuff I've read.
(btw, rock through the 650s, blaaaah, no thanks, sounds forced and brassy somehow)
I like the 580s for rock music with piano, the 990s for a little less mids I think and massive detail, rock just growls out them cans, folks, and I've read to expect good but maybe a little mucky bass from the 770s.
The 580s just sound bloody lovely for pianos, I listen to the piano songs on Gunners albums, Benny and the Jets, more of him, sexy sadie on the mono white album is absolutely marvellous, there is an F# piano note three beats into the second bar of the second verse that melts my heart, better than the stereo, and I know what I own there.
Paul's vocals on the next song just burst in my head, not my ears, my HEAD, there is a weird tickle and huge presence when I have it loud on the 580s.
The 10 year old black silk 580s so far are my favorite, now this makes me think all my tastes so far and what I hear is perverted by a little condition I call "Errant High Gain Grado Owners Artefact", or "Gra-D'OH!"
I am super happy with the sounds I'm hearing, sure, but if I can get better, naturally I bloody want it!
So I'd love suggestions on what THREE amps I should aim for this year.
Not anything insanely priced, maybe I should set the limit to 750US.
Please consider nothing.
Please say things like "If I were you..."
Should one be balanced? Double the...spew rate?
My source cannot be fully balanced.
I am severely happy with my source.
My source is a rega turntable with hugely modded everything, low output moving coil cartridges from Japan, a great Swiss solid state preamp for 62db of gain and of course the RIAA curve, it is the Benz Micro Lucaschek PP1 with current spec.
Cardas copper through to the Grado amp, which my friend made a 240v PSU for, bloody US one went on the blink with the stepdown.
My favorite thing to listen out for is snare drums.
I really like loud drum music a lot, heavy metal, breakbeat techno, all that 90s stuff like Tool, pearl jam, kurt was a genius, beatles were the best.
Okay guys, a pat on the back for those who got through this, thanks for any help, I really have noone to talk to about my favorite obsession.
Off I go to bed and check my new thread like an excited little kid tomorrow morning...

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 22
Dave, can you solder? I ask because Jaycar has a headphone kit amplifier and power supply which is good. It has been heavily modded and it sounds superb. I have one built by an Aussie w/ lots of mods and it is still relatively inexpensive. Mine has a gain of two since I listen at very low volumes. If interested send me a PM and I will send you the links where this amp is discussed and tweak. In closing I will leave w/ a pic of my tweaked and fabulous sounding Jaycar Headphone Amp.

JaycarVersion2inTestinPic2.jpg
[/IMG]

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 22
<<WALL OF TEXT>>
*dies*

Get rid of the Grado amp, it's not good for powering HD650s and not even that good for Grados. Get some tubes. Next.

Feb 1, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 22
There's a Darkvoice 337 for AU$500 in the trading forums at the moment. I have to resist strongly grabbing that as, even with the $200 shipping it would cost to Japan, it's insanely good value vs. new.

Feb 1, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 22
What ? A DV337 for 500AUD ?...Holy crap...grab it dave650 before Curra changes his mind...that is very good match with the 650.

Peete.

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #8 of 22
Sweet, thanks everyone, would have to sell the damn grado to get that 500 dollar one. I've posted many a time by now and should be able to sell it here.
Then whatever is needed left over can come out of a work pay. That's the sort of plan a 500 dollar dv337 might not wait for, but ridding the grado will be step 1. I will suffer the Pepper amp for now while I get this all going.
I use jaycar pretty often up in Kenwick, and the kit amp mentioned, cheers, will get built for sure this year.
Here comes a PM!
Off I go to hopefully check out the darkvoice right now...

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #9 of 22
I'm pming booboohihi about the DV and no answer yet, I found the money for it.
Does anyone know did he sell it and forget to post that he did?
I wanna try that thing now, I only had to ring one debt out of my life to get the cash together without getting extreme about it.

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #10 of 22
I hate the currency exchange rate....

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #11 of 22
yeh i'm sick and tired of it.
The DV is gone, guy put the money in his bank today.
This chunk of cash will be fleeting, I either give up or use grado or....look for a LDIV or something
How much different is the DV337 to the LD MKIV?
I wonder...

Feb 2, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #13 of 22
Considering the Price of the MK IV SE, you probably can't go wrong as long as you do the research for good matching tubes for it.

Seems the praise it gets on this forums are pretty significant. Don't see these on the FS very often, I haven't seen one yet, though I don't check that often.

Feb 2, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #14 of 22
$350 for the LDIV if he agrees to price
$350 for the DV 336 if another guy agrees to post to oz.
Which one which one which one which one, my brain is stuck.
Both situations up there are quite likely (hopefully)
I got the money right there. I can sell the Grado to recoup, and take 150 out of my first weeks pay from the music shop.
Dead F**kn Easy.
....oops was that rude?

Feb 2, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #15 of 22
The FS forums here at Head-Fi are a good place to find some premium used gear....the only problem might be shipping internationally. Save your pennies (our whatever your method of trade) and DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!

Most beginning headfiers lack the search skills and basic equipment experience because of a lack of technical knowledge.

This gets expensive and could derail a hobby chance before it starts. Don't underestimate compatibility...synergy of components is paramount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back