4 cans, help me choose
Oct 24, 2009 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Pariah1

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks to another thread (that I feel got too long and that I have changed my mind on some things since my OP), I am down to these 4 cans to choose from:

Grado 225i, 325i

Denon D2000

Alessandro MS1

I'm leaning heavily towards the 225i's and D2000.

I will be pairing the cans (for now) with an av123 X-Head amp feed by a Dac Magic with FLAC files. Later I want to try a budget hybrid amp like a Starving Student Mini Millet or Head-Direct EF2.

I will be using these mostly for rock (mostly classic rock to 80's) and metal. I like a bright, lively, forward, detailed, accurate, clear, articulate, etc. presentation with good PRaT or quickness/speed. I LOVE mirco detail and instrument separation--hearing the layers in and between the instruments and lots of the nuances of the sound. Imaging is nice too, as is a decent soundstage, but I have my speakers for that and I want more a more focused sound in my cans. My favorite two groups are Rush and Queen, especially their 80's material (I like my synths!
tongue.gif
) to give you a sense of the type of sound I like. But I also like more acoustic driven rock too (Jethro Tull, The Bealtes) and heavy metal/prog rock (Metallica/DT), so not everything bright, upbeat, and fast!

My fear with the Grado's is that they will be too bright/harsh (especially with the X-Head amp that is bright, if not crisp, thin/lean, or dry), and that the Denon will be not as good for rock/metal and maybe a bit "boxy" besides being more laid back. The Grado's also have the comfort problem, the Denon does not.

Price isn't really a factor as I can get all for around the same damage, new or used.

What do you think is best for my preferences? I'm going from a Senn HD 595 (my first real can) btw, and it isn't bad but I find it's mids too recessed or laid back, it's bass lacking (I'm not a big basshead but it's really thin if somewhat articulate, but otherwise nonexistent) and it's highs to be lacking "sparkle" or extension and detail yet are a bit silibant sometimes.

TIA!

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
225 or ms1
D2000 has poop bass
325 has a lot (LOT) of treble issues <- this will definitely be a proble if you get an EF2 and do not tube roll

D2000 lacks bass or has inarticulate bass? I thought it would have more bass which is one reason I was considering it...

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pariah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D2000 lacks bass or has inarticulate bass? I thought it would have more bass which is one reason I was considering it...

It has more bass to my ears.
I do not like it because of the bass (it gave me a headache)

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 43
Hmmm...ok. I like bass, but as long as the 225i has a decent amount I would be content. I'll take punchy, taut, tight, fast, articulate bass over deep and powerful anytime. I don't need wind blowing in my ears lol.

Thanks for the input.

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pariah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm...ok. I like bass, but as long as the 225i has a decent amount I would be content. I'll take punchy, taut, tight, fast, articulate bass over deep and powerful anytime. I don't need wind blowing in my ears lol.

Thanks for the input.

For the most part grado bass is not 'loud'. It has a lot of impact and is generally fairly tight (particularly in the SR series), so it will seem more present than it actually is.
IMO the 225 is the best of the SR series.

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the most part grado bass is not loud. It has a lot of impact and is generally fairly tight (particularly in the SR series), so it will seem more present than it actually is.
IMO the 225 is the best of the SR series.

Not loud as in not overpowering? Or as in not articulate/detailed or recessed?

(Sorry for all the questions lol).

In all likelihood I probably will end up getting the 225i's.
tongue.gif
I'm worried about the Denon's needing a better amp than what I have (and maybe even what I'd get) for one thing.

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 43
For heavy metal the bass in the grado's is verry nice. Its tight and acurate, not pounding. Every hit from the drums can be felt and the bass lines are very acurate.
Never heard the D2000, so i cant comment on them.

BTW: Creating a second trhead isnt realy ideal, just spreading both the conversation and information

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #10 of 43
My vote is for the 225. If you have the need for a bit more bass, you can always use the tape mod for the bowls. Either way the bass is right on to me. The 225 is a great can.

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a very different suggestion: AKG K301 (The original, not XTRA). I own one and love it. It's black with red lining, and looks alot like the other Kx01's

Oh no, not another one to look at!
confused_face_2.gif

J/K, thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For heavy metal the bass in the grado's is verry nice. Its tight and acurate, not pounding. Every hit from the drums can be felt and the bass lines are very acurate.
Never heard the D2000, so i cant comment on them.

BTW: Creating a second trhead isnt realy ideal, just spreading both the conversation and information

Thanks again stitch, that bass description is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't care for massive bass, but I want more than the about nonexistent bass in my Senn's.

I created a second thread since I thought the other had outgrown itself and newcomers to it would have to wade through a lot of junk that wasn't all that relevant to the discussion anymore. But I agree it isn't ideal and I hope I'm not mucking up the forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My vote is for the 225. If you have the need for a bit more bass, you can always use the tape mod for the bowls. Either way the bass is right on to me. The 225 is a great can.

That's true too!

I think I'm down to the 225i or the MS-1. The MS-1 is about $100 cheaper (though I don't know about shipping) and seems more neutral. The only thing I don't like hearing about the 225i is that it's mids might be "dark" or recessed, at least some of them (upper or lower). Also the highs might be harsh compared to the MS-1. The MS-1 is supposed to be well balanced throughout, and if I found it lacking then I could try a 225i and wouldn't be out much $$$.

Will make up my mind soon and be ordering tomorrow or Mon. unless I find something in the FS forum.

Oct 25, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #14 of 43
Here is my current take on Alessandro/Grado. The MS1 are great for budget minded individual, they're $110 USD shipped worldwide. However, from my short experience with the entire Prestige line up, the SR225 is the sweetspot among that entire line up. Reading reviews on both, either one is a great choice. However, from a canadian perspective, the SR225 is almost $300 CAD, so...is the SR225 worth $200 more than the MS1i? Probably not.

Oct 25, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #15 of 43
PS: The poll results are all about equal! So seems that I can't really go wrong (well I knew that already!). So I guess I shouldn't worry too much over this much longer (and I won't), I just like to do a good amount of research when shopping audio since it's fun and usually (always so far in my case) pays off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back