4.4mm Balanced cable or 3.5mm to 4.4mm adapter ?
Jan 10, 2023 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sunster77

Head-Fier
I recently bought a Fiio BTR7 and use mostly iems with it on the 3.5mm input (Venture Electronics BIE) mainly bass heavy iems for EDM and HIP HOP and occasional pop. Want to experience the power and benefits of the balanced 4.4mm inputs. So is it better to get new iems with a fixed 4.4mm cable or get a 3.5mm to 4.4mm adapter to use with my existing iems ? Will the adapter be as good as a dedicated 4.4mm cable ?

Jan 10, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 14
While yes, it is technically possible to use a 4.4mm M to 3.5mm F adapter with the 4.4mm bal output (provided the ground on the 4.4mm is wired up correctly in the source device), unless you get the exact right one you're going to damage the amp circuitry in the BTR7, probably destroying it. Using this type of adapter won't allow the IEM to take advantage of the extra power as it just turns it into a single ended connector and wont use the L- and R- which is (most of) the reason for the extra power. Unless you know what you're doing, I'll never recommend going this route.
FYI this adapter option is not possible for a 2.5mm bal as it lacks the ground connector that the 4.4mm has.

My advice is getting a IEM with swappable cables (I'll never advice going for a fixed cable IEM) which gives a few options. Swap the stock cable for a cable terminated in 4.4mm and for use on a single ended source use 4.4mm F to 3.5mm M adapters like the DD Hifi DJ44C if you want a angled adapter or the NiceHCK adapter which is significantly cheaper but a straight adapter. Or get a modular cable which allows you to change the termination without swapping cables or using an adapter, but these cables are generally the more expensive option.

IEMs that come with modular cables as standard are generally found in the $100+ segment but a few like the TRN ST5 and HZSound Heart Mirror pro come with a modular cable for $60 and $80 respectively.

Jan 10, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 14
I believe that the Fiio BTR7 has USB input, and 2 headphone outputs. One headphone output is 4.4mm balanced, and the other is 3.5mm single ended (unbalanced). To take advantage of the balanced headphone output, you would need headphones (or IEM) that supports balanced cables at both ends.

However, one of the main benefits of balanced outputs is that it delivers more power than unbalanced. For example, the BTR7 delivers about 160mW in unbalanced mode (at 32 ohms) and 320mW with balanced output. But IEM's don't need much power compared to regular headphones, so I would not worry about it and just use the cable that comes with the IEM into the unbalanced headphone output.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for the inputs. I am planning to buy the FINAL E5000 iems and upgrade the cable to a 4.4mm balanced one. Any recommended options for cables ? Also I am more comfortable with IEMS with a normal wearing style than the around the ear. The Final is like that. So wont the upgrade iem cable be heavy and weigh it down ? Thanks.

Oct 30, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #5 of 14
I have a Hiby R5ii + a Sennheiser HD650. Recently bought a Faaeal 4.4 mm balanced cable for hd 650+hiby r5ii. While it delivers more power and loudness, it does sound a bit shouty or harsh compared to single ended. I just wanna know whether this faaeal cable is genuinely a balanced 4.4 mm cable. There are a lot of fake balanced cables and connectors out there and i read they damage amps/daps. So is this faaeal cable genuinely balanced?

Oct 30, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #6 of 14
Oct 30, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #7 of 14
Can only truly answer that by dissecting open the cable,

Or ask here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low-end-cheap-generic-otherwise-bang-for-buck-cable-thread.891911/

If in doubt buy from a known reviewed) retailer or cable manufacturer. Many recommendations on the site. As for the original YouTuber's post, it must be reiterated do not use a single input to balanced output adaptor unless you want to risk a short and damaging everything

If an amp inside a dap like Hiby R5ii is damaged then won't there be a drastic sign of that? As in the dap will totally stop working or sound awful or does a damaged amp degrade gradually or in a subtle way that is hard to even tell. After I used the cable with my hd 650 the single ended sounds less louder but only by 3-4 volume steps which could also be placebo. Although the balanced sounds the same. That's why I got anxious because I don't wanna damage my hiby r5ii

Oct 30, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #8 of 14
It probably is, I've noticed this with my IEM's that I drive balanced, they usually get more low & top end. So your HD650 getting a bit shouty tells me that it probably is being driven balanced. That said, I also know that the Faaeal cables are naturally on the brighter side due to the low impedance that they have, which could also cause this effect. But they are known for being good quality cables. So yes, you most likely got a true balanced cable. The easiest way to find out for sure is to test for continuity using a multi-meter.

As long as you are using the bigger brands (NiceHCK, KBEar/TRI, Xinhs, Penon) and a few others (Hakugei, Tripowin, Faaeal, Openheart, etc.) you'll know that you'll get true balanced cables. It seems like you're actually more likely to get a true balanced cable than a true balanced portable dac/amp these days.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #9 of 14
It probably is, I've noticed this with my IEM's that I drive balanced, they usually get more low & top end. So your HD650 getting a bit shouty tells me that it probably is being driven balanced. That said, I also know that the Faaeal cables are naturally on the brighter side due to the low impedance that they have, which could also cause this effect. But they are known for being good quality cables. So yes, you most likely got a true balanced cable. The easies way to find out for sure is to test for continuity using a multi-meter.

As long as you are using the bigger brands (NiceHCK, KBEar/TRI, Xinhs, Penon) and a few others (Hakugei, Tripowin, Faaeal, Openheart, etc.) you'll know that you'll get true balanced cables. It seems like you're actually more likely to get a true balanced cable than a true balanced portable dac/amp these days.

Thanks. I got anxious about damaging the inner amp section of my hiby R5ii. After using the faaeal cable on 4.4 mm output, somehow the single ended on r5ii sounds little less louder like 3-4 volume steps which could also be my placebo. Balanced sounds the same. I guess a damaged dap-amp will show drastic signs of damage like no sound or explicitly bad sound rather than an implicit reduction in volume that too only by 3-4 volume steps. That was the whole point of asking on head fi. Just wanted to corroborate that I didn't damage r5ii. Most likely it is placebo. Although I didn't also perceive any significant improvement in stereo separation, etc

Nov 22, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 14
Forgive my ignorance but is it possible to recable a single ended iem' (JH Audio cable, to balanced? Again.. sorry for my cable ignorance 😆
As long as you swap the cable itself, there is no problem.

Whether or not it benefits the sonic performance is dependent on the IEM itself. From my experience, single DD and especially planar IEM's benefit from being driven balanced. Hybrids & multi DD can be either better or worse sounding on balanced power and all BA generally prefers being driven single ended. Exceptions to this do exist.

Nov 22, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #12 of 14
As long as you swap the cable itself, there is no problem.

Whether or not it benefits the sonic performance is dependent on the IEM itself. From my experience, single DD and especially planar IEM's benefit from being driven balanced. Hybrids & multi DD can be either better or worse sounding on balanced power and all BA generally prefers being driven single ended. Exceptions to this do exist.
Hi thanks for the reply, I didn't write the question out properly what I meant this say was, if I want to recable my 3.5mm into a balanced 4.4mm cable, then they'll just have to snip it off and rewire and reterminate it to make it balanced right? Thanks again for your help!

Nov 23, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #13 of 14
Hi thanks for the reply, I didn't write the question out properly what I meant this say was, if I want to recable my 3.5mm into a balanced 4.4mm cable, then they'll just have to snip it off and rewire and reterminate it to make it balanced right? Thanks again for your help!
That I wouldn't do. While yes technically it's possible on most cables, the chances of messing up are high. To me it just not worth it when the alternative is as simple as swapping the cable. When the IEM has a fixed cable you have to way your options as you need to be able to identify the correct wires, which is complicated due to not being able to measure the conductivity beyond these form a loop and those form a loop. No left or right and no + or - as you can't get to the terminations in the IEM.

I had a quick peek at your profile to see what kind of IEM's you're rockin' and seeing as all of them are with separate (non fixed) cables, I would get a quality cable with a balanced termination instead of trying to re-terminate the stock cable. It's cheaper (if you don't go for "premium" cables), faster and easier and it's reversible.
If this is about your A&K x JH Diana, I wouldn't want to risk messing up that beautiful cable and as it uses a regular 2 pin you have a lot of options when it comes to cables.

Nov 23, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #14 of 14
Hi thanks for the reply :) I've actually tried the Black dragon and silver dragon for my JH Lola and prefer the sound of my stock cable and I think the most benefits I do hear from the silver is simply due to it being balanced and not single ended like my stock cable.

I'm not going to attempt the job so I'll be sending it to Moon Audio. I assume when a cable is terminated they all start with the same core so they should just have to snip and reterminate.

You're right that Diana cable is beautiful made me wonder where my 380.00 went on that silver dragon lol. I know Moon made it so they can make them nice if they want to..the silver dragon looks like the stock cable just alittle thicker 😆

Users who are viewing this thread

Back