4.4 vs xlr preference
Jul 28, 2022 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bearcatsandor

100+ Head-Fier
Folks, I'm [hopefully] soon going to pull the trigger on a D90se + A90 descrete + DCA Stealth set up. I can get the amp end of the headphone terminated in a 4.4 or XLR end. They're both balanced and will both sound the same, and I'm not asking about that. I'm going to be using them in a home/portable studio and I'm wondering which will be more convenient to use.

I'm assuming that the 4.4 will be easier to find converters for when I want to plug into standard unbalanced jacks, and might be less prone to wear out?

Which do you all prefer and why?

Jul 28, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 17
I have all pentaconn connectors on my cables except my IEM which I plan to get some for soon too.

My 3 amps the XI Broadway, iFi Zen Can and Diablo allow me to swap headphones out between their pentaconn connections.

The DD hifi 4.4 to XLR adapter is a great option whenever you need one (although I understand not wanting an adapter in the set up if unnecessary).

I hope more amps will integrate pentaconn connections moving forward. XLRs are so bulky and heavy although some of them look really cool like Eidolic and such.

Jul 28, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #5 of 17
Big guys are still mostly XLR, compact and portables are pentaconn obviously due to size limitations.
Not sure if one is better than the other, XLR can handle thicker gauge wires, there is not enough room inside pentaconn plug for that, so it's mostly for low impedance, high sensitivity, easy to drive IEMs and portable phones with thin cables.
I am just using pentaconn to XLR adapter when using my IEMs with desktop amp.

Jul 28, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 17
If all of the gear you’ll be using has XLR jacks go with XLR, it’s a superior connection to Pentaconn.

The big issue with Pentaconn (beyond there being no reason for it to exist in the first place) is that it’s a spring-tensioned connector like 3.5mm or 1/4”, meaning over time ports can wear out and it doesn’t provide as solid a connection as XLR does.

Jul 28, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 17
If all of the gear you’ll be using has XLR jacks go with XLR, it’s a superior connection to Pentaconn.

The big issue with Pentaconn (beyond there being no reason for it to exist in the first place) is that it’s a spring-tensioned connector like 3.5mm or 1/4”, meaning over time ports can wear out and it doesn’t provide as solid a connection as XLR does.
Im imagining balanced DAPs and low efficiency IEMs with an XLR input/connector….brutal!

Jul 28, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #10 of 17
Im imagining balanced DAPs and low efficiency IEMs with an XLR input/connector….brutal!
Well 3.5mm and 2.5mm balanced already existed for those.

Jul 28, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #11 of 17
XLR all the way. All tip sleeve connectors will at least very briefly potentially short circuit your amp diring insertion/removal.

Having parallel conductors rather than serial is a much safer, more secure approach.
This is why I prefer XLR connectors. No potential for short circuits on connect and disconnect.

Theoretically XLR connectors will last longer, too, but I don't think either are going to wear out within a person's lifetime unless you're plugging and unplugging a dozen times a day.

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 17
XLR all the way. All tip sleeve connectors will at least very briefly potentially short circuit your amp diring insertion/removal.

Having parallel conductors rather than serial is a much safer, more secure approach.
Are you telling me that all most all headphone connections have the risk of blowing our very expensive equipment? Even trs jacks on mics?

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #13 of 17
Well 3.5mm and 2.5mm balanced already existed for those.
Got it.

I’ve never used a 2.5mm plug but I’ve heard that they can break more easily? I’m not sure again but I though the 4.4mm connector addressed that concern.

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #14 of 17
Well, 3.5mm balanced is uncommon because it's too easy for consumers to unknowingly plug unbalanced gear into it and break stuff.

4.4mm balanced exists and is more durable than 2.5mm, but also comes with the cost of licensing the connector from Sony.

2.5mm balanced exists because it can't be plugged into a 3.5mm jack and doesn't cost money to license like 4.4mm, but is also unfortunately fragile.

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #15 of 17
Are you telling me that all most all headphone connections have the risk of blowing our very expensive equipment? Even trs jacks on mics?
Yes, anything where you are sliding a TRS into a jack, the signal ring(s) must physically slide past ground/negative, briefly contacting it during insertion or removal. That's why it's a good idea to avoid hot swapping TRS connected devices (no issues if things are powered down). But then you're exposing the headphone to DC during the power cycle, so either way you're reliant on the functionality of basic protection in the amp. Not likely to be an issue, but if you have the option just avoid it with XLR...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back