3rd Party Re-262 recable?
Sep 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ChorusofAngels

Head-Fier
Do any head-fi'ers know of a place (APureSound, Moon Audio, etc) or even some fellow Head-fier's that could recable my re-262s?  I love them dearly but the cord is coming apart in too many places to possibly fix with heatshrink. 

Sep 2, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 9
I am curious too. Is your cable above the Y split getting really stiff and cracked? I absolutely love the sound but the durability of the cable is making me sad :'(.

Sep 2, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 9
Yep, exactly.  On both sides a slit developed (almost at the same time too) and they've been spreading up and down the cable despite my attempts at using heat shrink and electrical tape :frowning2:

I contacted Drew from Moon Audio and he said he doubts he can do it but I'm trying anyways since they're gonna be useless soon anyways. 

Best of luck with yours. 

Sep 3, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #6 of 9
Ahh that sucks.

I tried using electrical tape before but it slides around and leaves a messy sticky residue.
How do you use the heat shrink tubing? I thought you have to cut and solder the wire for it to fit.
So far, I only have one crack on the cable insulation and I covered it with scotch tape. Not the prettiest, but gets the job done for now. 

I know that it's our body's oils that are the culprit for this and I started to use ear guides and clean the wires. But the wires feel like twigs now. XD

Hopefully Moon Audio can still salvage your RE262s and maybe mine in the future.

Sep 3, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Ahh that sucks.

I tried using electrical tape before but it slides around and leaves a messy sticky residue.
How do you use the heat shrink tubing? I thought you have to cut and solder the wire for it to fit.
So far, I only have one crack on the cable insulation and I covered it with scotch tape. Not the prettiest, but gets the job done for now. 

I know that it's our body's oils that are the culprit for this and I started to use ear guides and clean the wires. But the wires feel like twigs now. XD

Hopefully Moon Audio can still salvage your RE262s and maybe mine in the future.

He's getting a new cable for them. Moon Audio says it cant be done, so my friend is doing it for him. PM me for details

Sep 3, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 9
Seconded.  I can thoroughly agree with cifani's recommendation.  The friend he referred me to was great and his site has amazing customer service.  Although, word of warning, it's not a complete recable, what he does is to cut the cable off at the base of the IEM unit and then solder on a new wire, not perfect, but a hell lot better than a broken pair of IEMs.

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 9
Ahh that sucks.

I tried using electrical tape before but it slides around and leaves a messy sticky residue...

I know that it's our body's oils that are the culprit for this....

Instead of any sort of adhesive tape, try using silicon tape. It's adhesive-less, but it's very elastic and when stretched, it sticks to itself very securely. You can pull it apart to reuse if you have to, but it isn't any easier to remove than regular electrical tape, but being gunk-free makes it MUCH cleaner to do so (100% cleaner in favt:wink:. It even LOOKS cleaner and more professional, especially if you don't keep a wide assortment of heat shrink sizes all the time. It's also a very good insulator; in other words it's perfect for any kind of wiring we're going to be talking about here. If you can't order it online, or don't want to wait for shipping, you can score some at any Home Depot or Lowes or probably even Ace and Wal-Mart...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back