3rd-party or custom ipod docks?
May 16, 2008 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

scud80

100+ Head-Fier
i'm looking for something fairly specific and hopefully one of you fine people can point me in the right direction as i haven't found anything in my web trawling thus far.

i want a dock for my ipod that has similar functionality to apple's universal dock (connector passthrough for charging and 3.5mm line out), but without the volume attenuation. i also need it to have a much more secure/stable connection to the ipod as it will be used in my car. is there anything available commercially that fits the bill, or maybe somebody on here that can custom-build such a device for me? i'll be using a power inverter to charge it, so i don't want to go with one of the products that plugs into the power point.

May 16, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 5
If I remember correctly I think that here in the sells forum their are a few people that hand make them. They are way cool, beautiful, well made docks. But some do get real pricey so be prepared. I saw one made of deferent tones of wood and was asking way more then the Ipod is worth. Try there you might find a good deal. Hope I was of some help.

May 16, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 5
Well, stevenkelby makes LODs that have USB connections set into them for charging, along with the standard line out. You can just get one of those along with a stable iPod holder that has room for a dock connection (there are countless designs for this sort of thing all over the place). They don't need to be a single unit.

May 16, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 5
you might be better of with a cable and a cradle that holds ipod from the sides. You dont want to be putting too much strain on the connector. Look at maybe SiK, Inc. :: imp inexpensive. you might not want to spend big bucks if you are only going to be using this in the car.

May 16, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 5
thanks for the input, i think i've now figured out what i need in terms of the cable and am getting a board member to make it for me. now i'll just find a commercial cradle when i figure out where i want to put it in the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back