3rd Gen Nano & iTouch Line out??
Oct 16, 2007 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mazinger

Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I've been contemplating buying a new flash player to pair it with my Tomahawk, and I think only ones with line out are iPods. I am looking for portability and good sound.

I have TH-->E4P with S adapter, need source and interconnect.

Questions:

- Between 2nd gen nano and 3rd gen nano, (besides shape)... are there any differences in terms of sound quality through Line out??
- Do both, 2nd gen nano and 3rd gen nano use the same line out adapter?
- Does the iTouch has a line out through an adapter?

Because of the shape of 3rd gen nano, I think it may "fit" better with the Tomahawk... any pics of these two making love??
cool.gif

Thanks!!

Oct 16, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mazinger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Guys,

I've been contemplating buying a new flash player to pair it with my Tomahawk, and I think only ones with line out are iPods. I am looking for portability and good sound.

I have TH-->E4P with S adapter, need source and interconnect.

Questions:

- Between 2nd gen nano and 3rd gen nano, (besides shape)... are there any differences in terms of sound quality through Line out??
- Do both, 2nd gen nano and 3rd gen nano use the same line out adapter?
- Does the iTouch has a line out through an adapter?

Because of the shape of 3rd gen nano, I think it may "fit" better with the Tomahawk... any pics of these two making love??
cool.gif

Thanks!!

3rd Gen nano LOD sound better to me than 2nd Gen (I have one of all three, the 3G is my favorite.) My touch sounds a littler better, but is the size of a iPod classic, although slightly thinner in size. 2nd Gen headphone out is worse than 2nd gen LOD, 3rd gen headphone or 3rd gen line out. I haven't studied the 1G that close.

The video on a 3G isn't as bad as it seems like it should be. The sound is pretty nice with a good LOD and Tomahawk. I can clearly tell a difference bettwen headphone or SendStation LOD and my Jumbo Cryo X silver dock!

And, they fit like peas in a pod
icon10.gif
(ignore the sepia tone in 2nd photo).

c700_tomahawk_nano3g.jpg

c700_tomahawk_nano3g_eurotrip.jpg

Oct 16, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks headphoneAddict really appreciate your comments and pictures... the new nano + TH does indeed look nice size wise :)

What is that line out cable? does this same cable would work with other iPods? (5.5 gen, 2nd gen nano or iTouch)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3rd Gen nano LOD sound better to me than 2nd Gen (I have one of all three, the 3G is my favorite.) My touch sounds a littler better, but is the size of a iPod classic, although slightly thinner in size. 2nd Gen headphone out is worse than 2nd gen LOD, 3rd gen headphone or 3rd gen line out. I haven't studied the 1G that close.

The video on a 3G isn't as bad as it seems like it should be. The sound is pretty nice with a good LOD and Tomahawk. I can clearly tell a difference bettwen headphone or SendStation LOD and my Jumbo Cryo X silver dock!

And, they fit like peas in a pod
icon10.gif
(ignore the sepia tone in 2nd photo).

c700_tomahawk_nano3g.jpg

c700_tomahawk_nano3g_eurotrip.jpg

Oct 16, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 13
what body skin are you using on your 3G nano?

Oct 16, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 13
i have spent extraordinary time away from ipod in the last years - esp since 2001 or whenever it originally came out. i was the worst among anythingbutipod.com and onlyminidisc.org for instance but now i realise the potential of such a device. i took my atrio m5 to the market and tried the likes of touch, classic and nano and to my disdain, they all were great.

the nano is just about as lovely a small player as could be and the price is wonderful! it has a screen and a small amount of hiss, but so too did 1g and 2g nano. it is stealth and just as the first reply mentioned, works with lods and line outs of all sorts. if you have the tomahawk, it will be a match made in heaven.

please however, note that even the tomahawk as good as it is does produce some noise, small but enought to detect with sensitive headphones like um2 or e500. all will sound wonderful, but... don't be prepared for bliss unless you really spend big big wads of cash on a home system with headphones.

portably, what could be better? imod? maybe but it is not quite so portable.

Oct 16, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 13
I also stayed away from iPods... I have/had own(ed) a cowon G3 (died), iRiver (T10 & H140), Sonys (Hd-5, Nwe-608, nwe-507, Rh1) Samsung K5... always trying to stay away from iPods for whatever reason... however, lately I have been thinking more in terms of "what really serves me well" instead of finding something different... meaning that I am open to any brand... but now, when I want a small player to use it with my TH, I realize that the only flash player that can offer a line out is the nano!... so here I am... probably will end buying the black 3rd gen nano, an ALO Interconnect... and I will have a nice truly portable rig :wink:

Do I have other options for small players (flash) with Line out to pair them with my TH

happy to hear more opinions from you, experts :wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have spent extraordinary time away from ipod in the last years - esp since 2001 or whenever it originally came out. i was the worst among anythingbutipod.com and onlyminidisc.org for instance but now i realise the potential of such a device. i took my atrio m5 to the market and tried the likes of touch, classic and nano and to my disdain, they all were great.

the nano is just about as lovely a small player as could be and the price is wonderful! it has a screen and a small amount of hiss, but so too did 1g and 2g nano. it is stealth and just as the first reply mentioned, works with lods and line outs of all sorts. if you have the tomahawk, it will be a match made in heaven.

please however, note that even the tomahawk as good as it is does produce some noise, small but enought to detect with sensitive headphones like um2 or e500. all will sound wonderful, but... don't be prepared for bliss unless you really spend big big wads of cash on a home system with headphones.

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

I also stayed away from iPods... I have/had own(ed) a cowon G3 (died), iRiver (T10 & H140), Sonys (Hd-5, Nwe-608, nwe-507, Rh1) Samsung K5... always trying to stay away from iPods for whatever reason... however, lately I have been thinking more in terms of "what really serves me well" instead of finding something different... meaning that I am open to any brand... but now, when I want a small player to use it with my TH, I realize that the only flash player that can offer a line out is the nano!... so here I am... probably will end buying the black 3rd gen nano, an ALO Interconnect... and I will have a nice truly portable rig :wink:

Do I have other options for small players (flash) with Line out to pair them with my TH

happy to hear more opinions from you, experts :wink:

I can tell you right now you will love that combo, the nano already has a nice soundstage and the tomahawk will open it up and add some more definition to the sound. Ipods have nice line outs
icon10.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Thanks headphoneAddict really appreciate your comments and pictures... the new nano + TH does indeed look nice size wise :)

What is that line out cable? does this same cable would work with other iPods? (5.5 gen, 2nd gen nano or iTouch)

The cable is an "ALO Jumbo Cryo X Silver iMod Dock", and will work on all iPods with dock connector (iModded or not) for about $155 I think. IT SOUNDS TERRIFIC, even better than my mini cryodock for non-iMod ($85) - I was blown away by the bass coming out of my Tomahawk with this cable!!!
eek.gif

The case is from eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230174009320 - email "oembest at spider-foot dot com" and was $5.90 shipped. It is a well fitted silicone sleeve - the lanyard lets me wear the 3G around my neck without an amp, without an strain on the silicone because 3G is so light. It comes with an adhesive screen protector, and the lanyard had an inline clip so I can unclip the 3G and leave the lanyard around the neck.

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have Livewires and E500 that are sensitive to hiss, and the Tomahawk noise level has never been a problem with them. Livewires is going to be offering a 50ohm resistor adapter that not only addresses the hiss but improves sound quality. Likewise, the Shure volume attentuator included fixes issues for that earphone. I have not needed either yet, except with the Seaber CMoy bass boost, which sounds nice with the attentuator.

Lastly, my ALO Jumbo Cryo X Silver iMod Dock cable has made the biggest difference of any nice cable I have bought, including my cryotreated black dragon for HD600. The sound is VERY close to bliss now, but we all know something better is always out there.

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

The cable is an "ALO Jumbo Cryo X Silver iMod Dock", and will work on all iPods with dock connector (iModded or not)

I didn't think 5.5 gen iMod cables worked with anything else than 5.5 iMods ??
And it deffinately will not work with a 4th gen iMod as the dock connector hasn't got any sound signal after the iMod operation.

Oct 17, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't think 5.5 gen iMod cables worked with anything else than 5.5 iMods ??
And it deffinately will not work with a 4th gen iMod as the dock connector hasn't got any sound signal after the iMod operation.

See confirmation here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...71&postcount=3

They don't need an iMod to work and sound good, but don't use an iMod with a normal dock cable.

Oct 17, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

See confirmation here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...71&postcount=3

They don't need an iMod to work and sound good, but don't use an iMod with a normal dock cable.

I see, didn't know that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back