$3k for a home theater: go crazy!
Jun 20, 2005 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
A guy at work needs some advice on purchasing a speaker system. He was originally considering a 5 channel surround setup, but when pressed, he said he was primarily going to be listening to music, so he agreed that 2 channel may be the way to go. So will primarily be listening to music, but will also connect the TV to the system. So, he's got $3k to spend on 2 speakers, a DVD player, and an integrated. Your thoughts?

Jun 21, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 33
Okay, here's a starting point...

Totem Dream Catcher 5.1 speaker system. Very well reviewed for both music and home theater. I have heard it and it is a very nice setup for about $1600.

A Denon DVD player in the $400-500 range. Denons usually have good audio AND video performance. Their sound is usually a bit warm.

I'll let someone else suggest an integrated in the $1000 range. (Lots of decent HT receivers in that range, like Marantz, etc.)

Don't forget the cables!

-Dean

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 33
I'm not forgetting the cables
smily_headphones1.gif
. How about some 2 channel suggestions? Like I said, if he's not using this primarily for movies, but music(rock), I think he might be better off with 2 speakers.

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #4 of 33
Okay, I can't imagine watching any movie with only 2 channels of audio. Plus, a 5.1 setup allows you to check out DVD-A, which is pretty cool if the disc is well produced. Anyway, here are some suggestions, staying at the $1500 price point for TWO speakers...

Totem Forest - a bit tough to drive since they are 4 ohm and not all that efficient. Totems image REALLY well.

Meadowlark Kestral - highly rated, though I am not fond of the "new" look in the Kestral II. Workmanship is unparalleled though.

Vandersteen 2CE - a classic

Thanks,
Dean

Jun 21, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
I agree, get a sub, even if it's only going to be used with movies. You want at least 2.1 for movies because most likely the receiver/processor will NOT mix the LFE channel into the mains...

Hmm, I thought that most processors/HT receivers (even some DVD players) allow you to choose "Large" front speakers and "No Sub", which will route the LFE to the front speakers.

-Dean

Jun 21, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by deanchat
Hmm, I thought that most processors/HT receivers (even some DVD players) allow you to choose "Large" front speakers and "No Sub", which will route the LFE to the front speakers.

-Dean

Large setting doesn't re-route the LFE channel to the mains - in fact it doesn't do anything, which keeps each of the main channels full range and unaltered.

Small setting takes anything in the main channels that falls below the crossover frequency and re-routs that to the sub (if any).

If you don't have a sub, most receivers will drop the LFE channel from the mix period, and you won't hear it - at least that's been my experience with my H/K and Denon receivers (not to mention the downmixers in my Panny and Denon DVD players, and the downmixers in any of the software DVD players) so I imagine most processors/downmixers work like that, unfortunately. It's really too bad since good headphones (or a good fullrange 2ch system) could greatly benefit from the LFE channel; 5.1 movies sound pretty dry and lifeless without it.

Jun 21, 2005 at 9:52 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
...and the downmixers in any of the software DVD players...

Any of the modern dvd software players can downmix lfe in to the front speakers or headphones (windvd, powerdvd, theatertek)

Jun 21, 2005 at 1:24 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Here are some suggestions, staying at the $1500 price point for TWO speakers...

Totem Forest - a bit tough to drive since they are 4 ohm and not all that efficient. Totems image REALLY well.

Meadowlark Kestral - highly rated, though I am not fond of the "new" look in the Kestral II. Workmanship is unparalleled though.

Vandersteen 2CE - a classic

Thanks,
Dean

The Totem Forest are $3195/pr for Black Ash or Mahogany, and $3495/pr for Maple or Cherry. I don't think you can even get them used for $1500. The Sttaf is $1595/pr for standard finish options, cherry and maple are extra cost (I'm not sure how much). The Sttaf sound really good by the way, I listened to them for a little while yesterday. They're very warm and rich, but retain some punch and excitement. The Arro is $1175/pr, but I haven't heard them.

Meadowlark is no longer producing speakers because their owner/designer suffered a mental breakdown, so unless you find them used, you're out of luck.

Vandersteen 2Ces for rock? Are you kidding me? They're one of the most laid back, polite, syrupy speakers in existence, and absolutely SUCK for rock. We had them set up all Saturday and most of yesterday where I work, and they CANNOT do rock at all. They're okay for stuff like chamber music or choirs, or maybe classical, but in general they're pretty boring speakers.

Energy makes some nice speakers as well that easily fit in the aforementioned price range.

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
The Totem Forest are $3195/pr for Black Ash or Mahogany, and $3495/pr for Maple or Cherry. I don't think you can even get them used for $1500. The Sttaf is $1595/pr ... Arro is $1175/pr, but I haven't heard them.

Meadowlark is no longer producing speakers because their owner/designer suffered a mental breakdown, so unless you find them used, you're out of luck.

Vandersteen 2Ces for rock? Are you kidding me? They're one of the most laid back, polite, syrupy speakers in existence, and absolutely SUCK for rock.

Energy makes some nice speakers as well that easily fit in the aforementioned price range.

I meant to refer the Totem speaker that is just above the Arro in their product line. Maybe it is the Sstaf or the Hawk, sorry about the screw-up. I have the Arros and I love the sound.

Meadowlark's web site (meadowlarkaudio.com) it still up and makes no mention of production being halted. If that is true it is a loss. The Kestral2 has increased in price from when I last looked though (if I remember correctly, the Kestral started out at $950 when it was introduced, now it is much more)

I listened to the 2CE's with some "classic" rock and they sounded fine to me (yes, they were a little laid back, but not problematically so).

Most Energy speakers I have listened to are very nice. The bipolar ones they had a while back (Audigy I think) threw out a HUGE soundstage.

-Dean

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Most Energy speakers I have listened to are very nice. The bipolar ones they had a while back (Audigy I think) threw out a HUGE soundstage.

Make that "Audissey", not Audigy.

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #14 of 33
i would go with a Naim Nait 5i (1500) for integrated amp, a Denon 2900 universal player (600), and some NHT ST4's (900). that brings you in at around 3k and will blow the doors off just about anything else near the price range. Surprise, its also my plan
biggrin.gif

P.S. The ST4's have a built-in 8" subwoofer in each speaker, so no need to worry about the bass. Stereophile or TAS was very very pleased with them recently.

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #15 of 33
You should check out the Emotive Lite products about to be released. For under $1K, you get a seperate preocessor and amp. If it is anything like the rest of their products (AVS123), you will get an amazing bang for your buck. In fact, I would seriously consider looking at their Rocket speaker packages as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back