3D movies
Jul 5, 2009 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

oqvist

Headphoneus Supremus
A bit curious about what you think about them. What techniques used.
Over here we have movies like Ice Age 3 I just watched in 3D using some kind of blue/cyan glasses? Not polarized I think. But it´s not the old blue/red glasses either that made the colours all wrong.

I have experience with stereo3D for my PC gaming earlier and been to omnimax theatres. I was a bit sceptic to be honest how well it would work based on my PC experience with red/blue glasses but I was really impressed with Ice Age 3. That it´s a brilliant movie of course doesn´t hurt but it was brilliant to showcase the technology without making it feel like you watch a tech demo
smily_headphones1.gif

After 15 minutes accustomization. (I was probably helped by my previous stereo3d experience in shortening this) it really became really natural. In the middle of the saloon and the image stretched out 0,5 metres away from me in front and as much back. Nothing I ever could achieve on my computer
smily_headphones1.gif
I suppose you really need to be quite a bit away and having a large monitor for this type of 3D to work the best.

Omnimax is still better though I don´t know if I would like to torture my neck with that. And it´s not that realistic I will ever get a omnimax theatre at home or that it would somehow become a new standard...

Of course it doesn´t make a bad movie good and a good movie is good also without this but certainly I did not get the same experience from the previous Ice age movies and they are some of my absolute favourites in this genre. They just give you so many laughs per minute it ridiculous. Never been on a cinema where there has been so much laughter before
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 24
3D is a great gimmick

too bad the glasses are made for people who don't wear glasses

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 24
Agreed about the glasses aspect - I recently went to see "Up" in 3D and it was a pain to use the 3D glasses over my glasses. I gave up on contacts several years back.

Anyhow, I do enjoy 3D - I wish more movies were available and it was easier to watch with corrective lenses.

This also brings back a few memories. Back in the 1980s, the classic 3D movie "House of Wax" was re-released in theaters. I remember my father taking my sister and me to go see it. He had seen it in its original release in the 1950s. He loves the movie and was so excited to be able to see it again on the big screen in 3D. Great fun - and I didn't have to wear glasses back then.

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #4 of 24
"Up" is a good example of a superior 2-D experience. I easily sacrificed the 3-D effect for proper brightness and color.

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #5 of 24
Taken from an excerpt of my "Up" review:

Quote:

On a side note, I saw this film in 3D. The effects were rather sparse, and didn’t run far from the screen. I was expecting something along the lines of that Disneyland/Disneyworld show “Jim Henson’s Muppet*Vision 3D.” Maybe perhaps not that zany of effects, but just more pronounced. At least I got to keep the glasses; they cost three dollars each!

After awhile my eyes kind of zoned out the the 3D difference. I'm still firmly in the "3D is a gimmick" camp. It was cool the first few seconds just to see what was different from 2D, but after awhile, it just seemed like a weak afterthought to the movie's presentation.

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #6 of 24
House of Wax with Paris Hilton remake lol
Up seems to be a movie to avoid. Never heard of it?

I also remembered the old school glasses but these glasses looked expensive. I checked mine in comparison... Okay they are cheap 80$ glasses
wink.gif
but there wasn´t that much difference and they where just as comfortable to wear without glasses. And I hardly noticed wearing them on top of them. It costs 50$ extra to see the 3D version so they can afford to make sure people get a decent experience I suppose lol.

As for colour errors and such I expected tons of that but none. They seem to have fixed that old issue somehow... They use some new quite expensive projector so it´s only available in like 3 cities so far I believe. What system do they use with Up is it the same as for Ice Age 3 3D and such?

Otherwise it would be weird for the effect to zone out. Not all can see stereoscopic images properly but the more you get used to them the better the effect. And you could also use more stereo separation then. Some get motion sickness too but the effect shouldn´t lesser the more you get used to it. Maybe it just start to get more natural and you perceive that as loss of the gimmicky 3D effect?

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After awhile my eyes kind of zoned out the the 3D difference. I'm still firmly in the "3D is a gimmick" camp. It was cool the first few seconds just to see what was different from 2D, but after awhile, it just seemed like a weak afterthought to the movie's presentation.

Same here. It was cool when you were on a 5 minute ride at Universal Studios, but watching a whole film in 3D just kind of ruins it.

I kind of ended up feeling that during filming, they had to try to force the 3D part in there like the "He HAS to throw that axe at the screen" sort of thing. Although it doesn't necessarily have to be there, they feel that they have to take advantage of a certain feature. I feel the same about a lot DS/Wii games too.

Jul 6, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 24
I'm curious about the blue/cyan glasses. I saw both Up and Coraline in 3D and both used circular polarizing glasses (polarized in opposite directions) with a 4x frame rate movie and alternating polarization on the frames. The effect doesn't work perfectly for me, so I suspect my regular glasses add some optical properties that mess with the rendering.

I wonder if the 3D tech used in the theater is a factor of the movie of the theater? i.e. Can a movie developed in 3D be "ported" to multiple types of 3D theater technologies?

FWIW, Coraline was a better movie for 3D than Up - both more effects and more natural use of them. On the other hand, there were 3D previews with Up.

Jul 6, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious about the blue/cyan glasses. I saw both Up and Coraline in 3D and both used circular polarizing glasses (polarized in opposite directions) with a 4x frame rate movie and alternating polarization on the frames. The effect doesn't work perfectly for me, so I suspect my regular glasses add some optical properties that mess with the rendering.

I wonder if the 3D tech used in the theater is a factor of the movie of the theater? i.e. Can a movie developed in 3D be "ported" to multiple types of 3D theater technologies?

FWIW, Coraline was a better movie for 3D than Up - both more effects and more natural use of them. On the other hand, there were 3D previews with Up.

Coraline was shot to be in 3d (with actual cameras) where as up was more or less made as a 2d film and then in the programs they just created a second image using an ofset. I think 3d is wonderfull when it is not used as a gimmick, hopefully filmakers will realize that it doesn't have to be used only as a gimmick.

Jul 6, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #10 of 24
Any example where you feel it´s gimmicky? Scenes that shouldn´t be there I suppose?

I have as mentioned extremely limited experience with ordinary movies for cinema that they show in both 2D and 3D. I am tempted to actually watch Ice Age 3 in 2D again but it will have to wait for the bluray edition.

Avatar will be the proof I do believe with current tech. Animated movies that is supposed to be phantasy shot in 3D to begin with is one thing. But uncanny valley may show it´s ugly face otherwise when things gets to real
smily_headphones1.gif
James Cameron does know what he is doing and he has the money to make his dreams come true as well. That movie would fail on other reasons rather then they not being able to handle the format. But Ice Age 3 already proof the point that it´s not a gimmick. I thought the image quality would suffer but didn´t see much of that.

Just as Nintendo prooved motion controllers aren´t a gimmick, hench Sony and MS forced to follow suite. Try Resident Evil 4 Wii or Metroid Prime 3 or Super Mario Galaxy. None of them would be as good as with a gamepad so it all has it´s place.

2D aren´t going nowhere because people are to used seeing things in 2D through our television and cinema. So it will take at least one or two generations before the shift will become the standard
smily_headphones1.gif

Same with the gamepad. People used to using gamepad all their life or mouse/keyboard have hard time accepting other control methods.

Jul 6, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 24
I'm guessing that the blue/cyan glasses must only be for older film-only theaters- I watched UP in 3D at a digital theater and received circular polarized glasses. Digital projection allows for a much higher framerate (144FPS) which is necessary to eliminate flicker when polarization is used.

I think it'd be neat if they found a way to do 3D at the local IMAX Dome theater. It'd probably need to be done with tinted glasses though for the aforementioned reasons.

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3D is a great gimmick

too bad the glasses are made for people who don't wear glasses

If you buy iZ3D monitor (polarizing system) it comes with clip on glasses and 2 pairs of regular glasses. I want to get that monitor but I keep reading about ghosting issues that they are trying to resolve with better glasses so am waiting it out.

I watched that Journey to the Center of the Earth DVD in 3D and it had some cool effects but the movie was crap and didn't follow the book much at all.

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing that the blue/cyan glasses must only be for older film-only theaters- I watched UP in 3D at a digital theater and received circular polarized glasses. Digital projection allows for a much higher framerate (144FPS) which is necessary to eliminate flicker when polarization is used.

I think it'd be neat if they found a way to do 3D at the local IMAX Dome theater. It'd probably need to be done with tinted glasses though for the aforementioned reasons.

I looked it up and it looks to have that kind of setup... some silver screen is used to except for the digital 144 fps projector. And as mentioned "a new type of polaroized glasses".

I am a bit curious how well do that work if you sit off center? Should you sit close to the screen or further away. Or in the middle for the best effect?

And imax dome in 3D... I think my brain would melt but I would probably die happy lol. Hard time to see how they could make that work though.

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #14 of 24
I never cared for 3D movies, probably because they seemed to bother my eyes after a short time. Focusing problems can cause headaches and they do for me. I gave the remake of Journey to the Center of the Earth a try because it is one of my favorite movies and novels, but I had to switch to regular after thirty minutes or so as my head started to pound. I'd like to see 3D in about 300 years when maybe we won't need glasses anymore as they'll just adjust our eyes when you enter the theater.

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #15 of 24
Only tried it once twice... both times w/ glasses containing polarized lens. It's kindda entertaining to see more than half the people in the cinema DUCK when a tree branch comes SWINGING toward you though =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back