$399 Apple iPod Touch 6G with 128GB storage and A8 chip
Jul 19, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #76 of 223

Interestingly there are at least 3 variants of the iPod touch 5th gen.

The original 16GB without camera - can't find seperate tear down for this one

The 2014 refresh of the 16GB model which included the camera, and appears to have 2 Apple custom Cirrus DACs - one on the Logicboard (338S1146) and one nestling inbetween the lightning connector and the HP jack (338S1077 - the one that you refer to)

And finally the 32 & 64 GB variants where the teardown appears to show a 338S1116 DAC on the logicboard - identical to that of the new 6th gen touch.

However a number of Apple custom chips start with the number 338S, and while I tend to trust iFixits teardowns, there is a chance that what we're looking at are not DACs at all.

Also throughout production runs components can be and are changed, so what is in the teardown may not neccessarily be what's in the device you're holding, even if it is an identical model.

Jul 19, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #77 of 223
  I had a Fiio which sadly was a lemon and i'm looking for a new dap.. its been quite some time since ive had an ipod.. How would this compare realistically to a fiio x5ii/DX90? For literally 50$ (fiio) more i can get me a sweet 128gb shiny ipod when they become available on amazon or something like that. I can always pair with a dac/amp in the future but im interested in the direct comparison as a pure music player. :)

I believe the 128gb variety is an Apple exclusive.  At least it is for now....

Jul 19, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #81 of 223
Sad but I'm still interested in buying one even if I have to go through apple (I prefer amazon because prime plus no taxes unlike apple) but still I'm interested in sound quality when compared to something like the x5ii or dx90.

Do you plan on using iem's? If yes, go for the ipod. The sq right out of the headphoneout is very good.

Jul 19, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #82 of 223
Do you plan on using iem's? If yes, go for the ipod. The sq right out of the headphoneout is very good.
I plan to use IEM most of the time but if I end up getting the ipod I'll use some more demanding headphones. I do not mind strapping an amp or dac to the ipod as I'll be using the more demanding headphones at home and IEM on the go or on college.

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #83 of 223
I plan to use IEM most of the time but if I end up getting the ipod I'll use some more demanding headphones. I do not mind strapping an amp or dac to the ipod as I'll be using the more demanding headphones at home and IEM on the go or on college.

College?  Student Discount maybe?

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #86 of 223
I'm currently using my Galaxy S6 Edge to run my music. Thinking about getting one of these to run music and my S6 for video, but I need to be sure the audio quality via headphone out is better. I assume it is as it's a dedicated media source, but I don't know too much about technical details and wouldn't mind any recommendations.

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #87 of 223
I'm currently using my Galaxy S6 Edge to run my music. Thinking about getting one of these to run music and my S6 for video, but I need to be sure the audio quality via headphone out is better. I assume it is as it's a dedicated media source, but I don't know too much about technical details and wouldn't mind any recommendations.

It's definitely better directly out of the headphone jack.  AND...if in the future you get some demanding headphones, you can go Lightning > Line Out to a headphone amplifier like the Oppo HA-2 or the JDS Labs C5D and drive some full sized cans.  You can't do that on your S6 Edge as Samsung decided to not support USB Line Out like some other Android phones (like my LG G4).

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #88 of 223

It's definitely better directly out of the headphone jack.  AND...if in the future you get some demanding headphones, you can go Lightning > Line Out to a headphone amplifier like the Oppo HA-2 or the JDS Labs C5D and drive some full sized cans.  You can't do that on your S6 Edge as Samsung decided to not support USB Line Out like some other Android phones (like my LG G4).

Hadn't thought about the latter point. Just using Senneheiser Momentum 2 over ears and ie80s so I don't think they need too much power currently, but thanks for the reminder.

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #89 of 223
Five years ago, it would be a steal. Today, not so much. I payed $170. for my Fiio X1 and a 128gb microSD card. Sounds better than any iPod, without the bells and whistles.

Have you heard the 6g yet? I have a 5g and an X1, and I love Fiio, but the "bells and whistles" that aren't there should be there...i really don't believe the X1 compares at all... Other than maybe extra power.

I'm very interested in one of these for sure. I love the way their UI... About time they came. Out with a new one.

Jul 20, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #90 of 223
I'm interested in using the new iPod Touch with Tidal and/or Qobuz and my DACs. The iPad is as little unwieldy for this purpose as and my old Touch is pretty slow these days--not to mention running out of battery life. I'm normally in Brasil, but intend to check out the new Touch when in Canada in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to hearing more impressions from those who have them before then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back