$399 Apple iPod Touch 6G with 128GB storage and A8 chip
Jul 17, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #61 of 223
I can say for the desktop, there are plenty of players available that will transfer to Ipods. Alternatively, I had my Foobar set up to convert any FLAC to ALAC if going to my (past) Nano 7g. It took a little longer, but it worked wonderfully.

I see, I thought there was a dedicated app (player) that you could purchase off the app store to play FLAC at full resolution these days. and Foobar ALAC to FLAC works, but very slow for the volume of albums I have personally. I could deal with Itunes, and all the other aftermarket apps that theoretically can access the apple ecosystem, but the lack of FLAC just kills it. I have too much music that would require me to always be converting albums when I change my tastes that day.

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #62 of 223
Convert all your FLAC to 256 aac, 320 mp3 or 245 vbr mp3 and just be done with it.  All 3 will most likely be transparent to your FLAC files. I just finished ripping all my cd collection to FLAC. I then batch converted everything to 245 vbr mp3 for my DAPs.  I use FLAC as digital backups to my cds. 

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #63 of 223
I see, I thought there was a dedicated app (player) that you could purchase off the app store to play FLAC at full resolution these days. and Foobar ALAC to FLAC works, but very slow for the volume of albums I have personally. I could deal with Itunes, and all the other aftermarket apps that theoretically can access the apple ecosystem, but the lack of FLAC just kills it. I have too much music that would require me to always be converting albums when I change my tastes that day.

Just a thought-buy Dbpoweramp and batch convert all your FLAC to ALAC. In theory there should be no loss of information between FLAC and ALAC.  Dbpoweramp works great and it worth the $.

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #64 of 223

There is quite a few FLAC players on the App Store to use. Which ones I don't know, however. As for the volume of albums you have, I had the conversion done as an on the fly process. For instance, when I copied an album to my Ipod, it would convert to alac when it transferred, but leave my original untouched. Granted it takes a little longer, but as long as you aren't exchanging out 128gb of music every day and need it RIGHT THEN you should be fine.

Jul 17, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #65 of 223
FlacPlayer and Onkyo with the HF Pack can both play FLAC.  It's down sampled if playing native, and played at full file size if used as a digital transport.  Usually you need the Camera Connection Kit (CCK) to take advantage of that feature...

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #69 of 223
just bought an engraved 5th gen this week for my daughter's birthday...argg, at least it looks like i can return even though i got it engraved.  and have already ordered the new gen, just that i'm not expecting to arrive by her birthday now :frowning2:

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #72 of 223
Jul 19, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #75 of 223
I had a Fiio which sadly was a lemon and i'm looking for a new dap.. its been quite some time since ive had an ipod.. How would this compare realistically to a fiio x5ii/DX90? For literally 50$ (fiio) more i can get me a sweet 128gb shiny ipod when they become available on amazon or something like that. I can always pair with a dac/amp in the future but im interested in the direct comparison as a pure music player. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back