34K speakers: Would look cool as headphones!
Feb 7, 2004 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kartik

Headphoneus Supremus
why can't they make headphones that look like these:

Feb 7, 2004 at 5:55 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by kartik
why can't they make headphones that look like these:

Probably for the same reason why this hasn't been made into headphones:

gramophone.jpg

Unwieldy shape, weird packaging (weirder than Jecklins, anyway.
wink.gif
).

D.

Feb 7, 2004 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 11
Sweet! You would definitely have to have the right room to do justice to those beauties, but in terms of sonics and cosmetics.

Feb 7, 2004 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 11
Which brings us to the question, why has noone tried Horn loaded drivers in headphones. If they are so responsive as speakers, couldn't they be used as headphones. After all the old hearing aids were exactly that,: ear horns. May be a double horn design with a horn driver and a horn based transducer might work.

Feb 7, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 11
Seems to me like horns would be really hard to implement on headphones. It would probably make them large and not very comfortable. Also, I suspect many high end headphones are just as dynamic and responsive as horns already.

Feb 7, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Daemoth
Seems to me like horns would be really hard to implement on headphones. It would probably make them large and not very comfortable. Also, I suspect many high end headphones are just as dynamic and responsive as horns already.

Or even better....as they do not change the sound according to the room size, dimesions, or reflexions from the walls....

Feb 7, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 11
Now that's a defese against using horns in any system. Beware, the inmates of the High efficiency asylum don't hear you. Your viabilty will be suspect. They might butt you with their horns to death!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 7, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by kartik
Now that's a defese against using horns in any system. Beware, the inmates of the High efficiency asylum don't hear you. Your viabilty will be suspect. They might butt you with their horns to death!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Well horns maybe are very efficient in speakers, but for short distances, or maybe an small volume, who knows of they are best suited...I doubt something will sound similar to the Omegas or R-10 horn loaded....this is one of the advantages of a headphone system small cost versus performance....

Feb 9, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #11 of 11
Horns have one huge disadvantage that would present a problem with headphones: the length of the horn is proportional to the wavelength being reproduced. Difficult to roll up 18 feet of diverging tube with a micron sized driver.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back