325i's as portables?
May 5, 2009 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Ziek

New Head-Fier
I didn't think I'd be back on here asking for advice on another purchase, but here I am.

I'm working with my father and a normal day involves a lot of travel time and down time. Because of this I would really like to assemble a portable system. Isolation won't be needed so I've opted to try the Grado line-up. I did some reading and from what I can tell the 325i's fit my taste for music and budget (~$300). I do plan to buy an amp, perhaps the Little Dot MK I+, and have not decided on a dap yet. Any insight/advice on the above would be greatly appreciated.

I'd like to hear about any experience people have had while using Grado's as portables. Good or bad, I'd love to know. I hope it's not extremely outlandish to want to use Grado's as portables.
redface.gif

I assumed the portable hp section would be best for a topic like this. I understand if a mod wants to move it.

May 5, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #2 of 19
If isolation is not needed (for both you and the person next to you), than I think 325is is fine as portable (though I would go for a MS2 myself
tongue.gif
)

May 5, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #3 of 19
LOL, I'm curious about the 325i's myself.

May 5, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #4 of 19
Didn't expect replies so fast!

ClieOS; Within 5 minutes of searching on google, I found a thread where pataburd gives the 325i and MS-2 an in-depth comparison. I look forward to the read.

f00fighters; Hopefully both of us can get what we want from this thread
bigsmile_face.gif

May 5, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #5 of 19
The 325i are powered well for portable use but are a bit heavy for any active movement.

May 5, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #6 of 19
Are you sure that isolation wouldn't be necessary? If you are doing your listening on a car/bus/train you'll almost certainly require some degree of isolation. Plus if you are listening in a quieter indoor place like someone's office you'll probably want to make sure that your headphone doesn't leak out any sound. The Grados are not made for portable use and you'll be better off looking for a headphone made for portable use that'll offer some degree of isolation, folds up easily and will be easy to store, doesn't have too bulky a cord and wouldn't make people looking at you lose their respect.

May 5, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 19
I originally bought my 325i's for use indoor and outdoor use. However, I found that they leak out too much sound. I don't really want people around me to hear what I'm listening to and they probably don't want to listen to my music. The only time I would actually use them outdoors is somewhere like a park where there isn't too much outside noise and where people aren't standing right next to you. It's also harder to enjoy the sound from the sr325i's when there is noise outside. You'll lose detail and it will become more difficult to distinguish the low notes.

I then bought a pair of ES7's which are way more portable and have at least some isolation. They also don't leak out sound much at all. I'm not saying that you should buy ES7's, but some isolation from closed headphones is nice for a portable set.

May 5, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 19
^ rubbish
wink.gif

i use my grado's outside all the time. because i don't need isolation, i often need to be able to listen to outside things as well, so no isolation is very important (i ride bmx, so not the best environment for my precious grados)

to check if they're too loud for other people i adjust the volume with them sitting around my neck - if i can barely hear it, then i assume nobody can, so i can crank it up a little more. besides, environments like cars or buses are surprisingly noisy, so it;s very easy to get away with higher volumes and not get odd looks (actually i've had people ask to listen)

also, i just don't like in ear phones, they're too intrusive, and i've almost been mowed down while biking with some cx300's. and closed headphones (the ones i've always come across) are always circumaural, so theyend up being sweaty. the grado's are perfect (though be gentle with them. slight movement can have mine rolling off my head)

*ps: i obviously don't jump with them. that was a job for my sr80's.

May 5, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #9 of 19
Actually, I used to use SR80's as portables and I think those are way more portable than the 325's. I do miss using them, but with a closed set like my ES7's, I find it more enjoyable in noisier environments like a noisy bus.

I guess it's true that outside noises will drown out a good amount of the noise coming from the headphones, but people would still hear some kind of noise coming from you if you're listening to the headphones at an enjoyable level. I don't know. The bus I ride on is pretty loud. I don't like turning my headphones up too high because I don't want to damage my ears. Even if the shuttle was quiet, I still wouldn't want to wear my Grado's since I don't like to have people hear my headphones as it's a bit rude.

To me, the only time I would wear my Grado's outside is if I was mostly going to walk the streets or bike. Then there wouldn't be people right next to me who could hear my music.

I guess it also depends on your personal situation. I just needed a closed set since I ride on a noisy (crowded) bus and I use them on campus (in the library). I guess if my situation was different, I'd reconsider using my 325's. There are many factors that determine "portability" which can vary from person to person.
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #11 of 19
I'm having trouble deciding between buying the SR325is and DT880s for both outdoor and indoor use. I used to own the SR60s and took them everywhere but I couldn't wear them for more than half an hour or else my head started to hurt. Although they're smaller than the DT880s, the Beyers seem very comfy but very large to wear outside. Can't decide.

May 8, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #14 of 19
Thanks for your replies everyone.
biggrin.gif

RAQemUP: I won't be jogging or anything like that with them. Are they awkward enough to make walking a pain?

scytheavatar: I live in a small farm-town so I'm not too worried about what people think of them. You get dirty looks for driving the wrong car, wearing the wrong shirt, ect. I'm not going to concern myself with it.

Isolation shouldn't be an issue. Our work-vehicle is surprisingly quiet; and my father said he wouldn't mind the noise.

yukihiro: The ES7's and the like have intrigued me quite a bit. I just really want to try an open headphone. We do heating and air conditioning repair so there aren't people around us, unless the customer wants to hang around.

Wiggy Fuzz: I feel the same way about IEMs. Given my situation, I just don't feel the need for that much isolation.

Quinto: I was originally going to make this a 225/i vs 325i but I figured I should just spring for the 325i.

May 8, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #15 of 19
I would be uncomfortable using RS2/RS1 in public. They look too good. SR325 also looks mighty good - will easily attract robbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back