325i vs SA5K vs K701 vs RS2?
Dec 5, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #17 of 27
how's it not comfy? it looks like it has the biggest head band ever made short of a helmet! does it make you sweat? what? I know, you have curly hair and it get's caught in the netting?

ok now for the advice: i got the sa-5000 and a 650 w/ cardas due in this week. I will either keep both or sell one or both who knows? what I'm saying is keep trying the flavors until u likey!

Dec 5, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #18 of 27
I was just about to make a similar thread, but might as well just join in the fun here!

I'm a long time Sony MDR-7506 user, in fact I'm on my second pair currently (first ones were getting rather ratty after roughly a decade of use)! However my listening environment has changed, I no longer have a need for "closed" phones, moving from a cubicle to practically your own lab will do that for you. Since I no longer have to worry about offending my co-workers with my own tunes I thought I should look into upgrading my phones as a gift to my ears. The questions I have is what am I gaining going from the 7506 to basically a level below most of the HP's listed above? I love the 7506 because of the great bass they have, and that they are so damn revealing. Compared to muffs such as the Grado 325i, AKG 601, and SA1k/3k what am I missing out on? Currently I'm listening out of a new 5G 60GB iPod unamped (ripped to ALAC mostly, or 320kb/s AAC for albums not played nearly as often), and when home out of an H/K AVR-235 receiver (Dolby headphone is a nice feature for movies when it's too late for the speakers). My musical tastes are mostly Dave Matthews Band, Blue Rodeo, Sarah McLachlan, The Tragically Hip, Coldplay, Rolling Stones, and some AC/DC in there too. Meaning dueling guitars, some piano, and in the case of DMB and BR some fantastic bass riffs.

To be honest I've never heard a really good 'open' headphone, my current 7506's are the best these ears have had the opportunity to be exposed to. From the sounds of things I don't think I'd like the Senn sound signature, which is why I haven't listed anything they have in that $300 USD range I'm looking at. I am planning on getting an amp to plug into the iPods lineout, but I figure I should work on getting new headphones first, then find something that matches/enhances them and the iPod. I'm leaning towards the Grados, but I'm certainly open to suggestions... and since this is Head-Fi I suppose no one is going to try and protect my wallet and tell me that the MDR-7506 are a 'good enough' headphone??
rolleyes.gif

Dec 5, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff
how's it not comfy? it looks like it has the biggest head band ever made short of a helmet! does it make you sweat? what? I know, you have curly hair and it get's caught in the netting?

ok now for the advice: i got the sa-5000 and a 650 w/ cardas due in this week. I will either keep both or sell one or both who knows? what I'm saying is keep trying the flavors until u likey!

Lots of people wear the SA5000 incorrectly, with the two metal bars touching the head, which does lead to discomfort after a while, not to mention the bright, thin sound that some accuse the cans of having. When worn properly, i.e with only the mesh touching the upper-back part of the head, they are certainly the most long-term comfortable headphones I've ever owned.

IME the SA5000 slayed the HD650/Zu, right out of the box. Never used my 650's again after I got the 5k's.

Dec 5, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel
I own both a Shure e4c ... but I find both of these cans too laid back for my taste (hence my lack of interest in HD650s).

Hang on a sec... you find the Shure E4c too laid back? Can you elucidate on this? In some ways I find the Shure E4c as upfront as any Grado or SA5k, so it would be helpful to understand better what you find lacking.

Best regards,

-Jason

Dec 5, 2005 at 8:23 AM Post #21 of 27
I listen to very similar music as you and my ticket (at least with my current budget) seems to be a pair of Grado HF-1 with Todd flats. The Grados have some serious impact and give you a very intimate und groovy listening pleasure. HOWEVER Grados - at least in that price range - are not known to be neutral - but they are fun. The HF-1 or SR 225 are considered by many to be the best rock/metal cans. The SA5000 are much more neutral in comparision and have a bigger soundstage. In my experience, a wide soundstage, however, doesn't always give me the intimacy, I desire for metal. And the Grados are already revealing enough for metal records, which are not always played and recorded with the same care as classic or jazz.

Dec 5, 2005 at 11:45 AM Post #23 of 27
For that kind of music I must also recommend SA5000. I just compared HF-1 and SA5000 for a long time and SA5000 ended up winning this comparison. I just love what it makes to electric guitar and basses. They've never sounded so good than with SA5000. The fast and punchy bass is also very good for rock/metal.

Dec 5, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Hang on a sec... you find the Shure E4c too laid back? Can you elucidate on this? In some ways I find the Shure E4c as upfront as any Grado or SA5k, so it would be helpful to understand better what you find lacking.

Hmm my e4cs are in for service right now but I guess its not so much that theyre super laid back (not as much as the Senns) but they feel a little nuetral to the point of sterility, and I feel they are less impactful and colored then I would like. I have very little experience with anything at the other end of the spectrum, but I guess my best example is listening to Tool through the shure4c, it is unengaging, and the instruments are separated to the point I feel I have more sound than music. The other option is a used RS-1, would that trump a SA5K?

EDIT: As I was writing that for jjcha i had a revelation, does this mean I prefer a less detailed, warmer more cohesive sound?

Dec 6, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #26 of 27
the speed and clarity of the sa-5000 is upper tier. soundstage is wide and deep. with a proper amp they sound very natural and even slighty warm to me.

ACCURATE as all get out too.

my only complaint is that I don't like leather cups although these are barely noticable.

Dec 6, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #27 of 27
On which amp do you consider SA-5000 to be warm? I found them almost completely the opposite (typical bright Sony house sound that propagates through most of their product line up). I've only heard them through Grace m902 though.

I'm still tempted to give them another go myself, but the mid-frequency colouration (or honkiness) does bother me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back