325i vs SA5K vs K701 vs RS2?
Dec 4, 2005 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Akathriel

500+ Head-Fier
Well guys after discovering Head-Fi im ready to jump in deeper. I own both a Shure e4c and a Senn HD497 (with a PA2v2) but I find both of these cans too laid back for my taste (hence my lack of interest in HD650s). I listen to mostly progressive and post rock and a few of my favorite artists include, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Tool, Isis, Opeth, Floyd, Melvins, APC, Mogwai... and the list goes on and on. From what I've read it sounds like I might be interested in Grados (a more immersive and upfront sound, soundstage is not as crucial in rock), but I'm turned off by their fatigue, and percieved lack of value (construction quality, and price performance ratio). My budget caps at $500. Right now, I'm leaning towards AKG K701 but its probably just FOTM excitement.
Thanks for your help! I would also be upgrading to a source/dac combo (PC as source). I am especially interested in the Corda Aria and Headroom Micro Stack.

Dec 4, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 27
I tell you, you know your stuff, for someone with one post. Oh!! your poor wallet!
tongue.gif
I have heard all the cans you mentioned, except the FOTM. Not considering the K701, I just love my SA5K. It just sparkles with detail, and crisp, clean highs, with good bass, although not as pronounced as the highs. I think you will love it.
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 27
Although the 701s do sound nice a grado would be better for the bands you listed. Go for the RS2. You can get a really get a good deal if you find one used. If the stock bowl pads don't do it for you then get a pair of flat pads from Todd the vinyl junkie.

Dec 5, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 27
Todd the Vinyl Junkie sells both the RS-2 and the K701 and he has a 1 month return policy. Order both from him and return the one you do not like. I will say that the K701 is a bit harder to drive but the PAV2 will do a fine job (at least for the comparison period). Good luck.

Dec 5, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 27
Todd the Vinyl Junkie sells both the RS-2 and the K701 and he has a 1 month return policy. Buy both and then at the end of the one month return the one you do not like. The K701 is harder to drive but you have the PAV2 which will do a fine job during the comparison. Good luck.

Dec 5, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
I tell you, you know your stuff, for someone with one post.
biggrin.gif

I did my homework
tongue.gif

Uggh too very positive and conflicting suggestions. TTVJ's return policy sounds very appealing... I guess its too early to know a lot about the K701 but I've had a lot of trouble finding info about the SA5K sound signature except that its highly detailed, and punchy. Could you elaborate on what it is you like about them? And in general even if you guys have not heard, (but from what's been written) is the K701 good for my musical taste. I read one post that said their sound signature was similar to the HD650
eek.gif
To complicate things more, what about Alessandros?

Dec 5, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
I tell you, you know your stuff, for someone with one post. Oh!! your poor wallet!
tongue.gif
I have heard all the cans you mentioned, except the FOTM. Not considering the K701, I just love my SA5K. It just sparkles with detail, and crisp, clean highs, with good bass, although not as pronounced as the highs. I think you will love it.
biggrin.gif

Also the SA5000 is the most comfortable good headphone made - totally unobtrusive in listening for long periods.

Dec 5, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 27
What's good about the SA5000 is that they reproduce sound in a natural and realistic way - less coloration than any other HP except maybe the UE 10 pro and Qualia 010.

Also the SA5000 is the most comfortable good headphone made - totally unobtrusive in listening for long periods.

Dec 5, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 27
What's good about the SA5000 is that they reproduce sound in a natural and realistic way - less coloration than any other HP except maybe the UE 10 pro and Qualia 010.

Dec 5, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #10 of 27

Dec 5, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel
I did my homework
tongue.gif

Uggh too very positive and conflicting suggestions. TTVJ's return policy sounds very appealing... I guess its too early to know a lot about the K701 but I've had a lot of trouble finding info about the SA5K sound signature except that its highly detailed, and punchy. Could you elaborate on what it is you like about them? And in general even if you guys have not heard, (but from what's been written) is the K701 good for my musical taste. I read one post that said their sound signature was similar to the HD650
eek.gif

Art: What's good about the SA5000 is that they reproduce sound in a natural and realistic way - less coloration than any other HP except maybe the UE 10 pro and Qualia 010.

Dec 5, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

I did my homework
tongue.gif

eek.gif

Art: What's good about the SA5000 is that they reproduce sound in a natural and realistic way - less coloration than any other HP except maybe the UE 10 pro and Qualia 010.

Dec 5, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

I did my homework
tongue.gif

eek.gif

Dec 5, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

I did my homework
tongue.gif

eek.gif

Dec 5, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells

Comfort is very subjective, so this may not be applicable. The headband is not the best design imo. Not the most comfortable headphone I have ever owned, but not too bad either, so take it for what it is worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back