320 kbps MP3 vs. normal audio CD listening Sound quality
Jan 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #316 of 547
None of these guys actually own the equipment they talk about. They're just armchair theorists who enjoy memorizing manufacturers tear sheets.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #317 of 547
And I enjoy your post bigshot. Your post never made me bored :D

Did I smell any wealth bias here? I said go loan not buying in respect that you don't need to be rich to try it out yourself. Some shops are nice enough to lend me some highend equipments when I was university student doing self-support education.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #318 of 547
Quote:
I disagree with this for a couple reasons:

1. When the robots come, they will provide us with upgrades for all of our sensory organs. They will then use these newly perceived segments of the visible and audible spectrum to communicate with us and weed out the non-conformists who will then either be forced to upgrade or be eliminated.

2. Robots can't comprehend judgemental behavior, nor do they like or dislike anything; like you said electronics are unemotional. They wouldn't care about that.

I don't know about you guys, but I've been collecting music that only uses frequencies above 22kHz. I don't know what it sounds like yet, but once I get my upgrades it's probably going to sound awesome.

LOL.
beerchug.gif

Man, I forgot all about the robot upgrades. If you need me I'll be crying to the emotional power of infrasound bass created by my 37 inch subwoofer - the only speaker I listen to whether music, TV, or movies.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #319 of 547
And I enjoy your post bigshot. Your post never made me bored :D

Did I smell any wealth bias here? I said go loan not buying in respect that you don't need to be rich to try it out yourself. Some shops are nice enough to lend me some highend equipments when I was university student doing self-support education.

Thanks!

The thing is, getting great sound shouldn't be expensive. If it takes a stack of cash to put a stereo together, you're not thinking. I feel that it's very important to define goals and identify problems. Whenever you make a change it should be in a specific direction. It also helps to take the time to figure out what matters and what doesn't. None of my equipment is what you'd call "high end". It just sounds that way.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #321 of 547
Jan 10, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #322 of 547
"High end" is a rather subjective term to begin with. Most people would call my €300 headphones and my €250 DAC/amp combo, "high end". And they wouldn't be wrong, IMO: like bigshot says, it sounds "high end", and it costs substancially more than most people are willing to spend on such gear.

I'm sure your headphones give plenty of bang for the buck, but I really don't think DACs are really needed in most cases.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #323 of 547
Quote:
I'm sure your headphones give plenty of bang for the buck, but I really don't think DACs are really needed in most cases.

I think there are a lot of people that browse here and  buy E7 and E17 here that would be served just fine by an E11 or E6 (assuming they need an amp at all), but they see "DAC" everywhere around the forum and think they have to have one even for their portable rigs.

I have no need of a portable DAC....my iPods and Sansas have perfectly acceptable ones onboard.....but at some point I do plan on getting an E10 or something of the sort for my computer.....the desktop's onboard sound is quite noisy.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #324 of 547
Sometimes external DACs are needed. Most of the time onboard is alright, but it can get really bad for a number of reasons.

My amp and DAC(soundcard) are likely overkill costing a total of $360 but I'm willing to admit that. I could probably manage a setup that sounds just as good to me at regular listening volumes for around a hundred bucks, maybe less. It's more of an OCD thing than anything though. That noise floor that's at double the volume of what I normally listen to music at has got to go.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #326 of 547
The thing is, if folks took that couple hundred dollars they overspend on DACs and put it into better headphones, they'd actually get better sound for their money.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #327 of 547
Quote:
The thing is, if folks took that couple hundred dollars they overspend on DACs and put it into better headphones, they'd actually get better sound for their money.

For the most part yeah, absolutely.

I didn't really see any headphone's that interested me more than the one's I have that were within $400 though. Although I regret not getting the D7000's just because they were discontinued shortly after and are already selling used for several hundred dollars above retail price.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #328 of 547
There is a high level of clarity with CDs compared to 320kbps MP3 to my ears. I am able to hear this through a 'minimalistic' setup via Sony Vaio FW270 paired with a Sony MDR V6. It is there but for portability sake MP3 works fine with me.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #329 of 547
Quote:
There is a high level of clarity with CDs compared to 320kbps MP3 to my ears. I am able to hear this through a 'minimalistic' setup via Sony Vaio FW270 paired with a Sony MDR V6. It is there but for portability sake MP3 works fine with me.

Did you try a foobar abx?

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #330 of 547

Users who are viewing this thread

Back