320 kbps MP3 vs. normal audio CD listening Sound quality
Jan 14, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #361 of 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So even if they were upsampled, it proves the point that much improvement can be done to 16 bit with higher resolution formats......

Absolutely not. Why don't you just do what mikeaj said?

The hdtracks format is 44.1/24. It could be a downmix of the 5.1 dvd-audio, an lp rip or some other master................ ..... .....

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #362 of 547
Quote:
Why in the name of reason are you arguing with this wassock - he steadfastly refuses to do any kind of DBT and will go on doing so forever

Well said!

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #363 of 547
Quote:

The hdtracks format is 44.1/24. It could be a downmix of the 5.1 dvd-audio, an lp rip or some other master................ ..... .....

Actually, it is not. The format is actually 24/48k, if you had read the links. And it clearly is not a LP rip. But that's kinda of funny to suggest anyway. But alas, none of you have heard it or care to, unles of course I downsample it with Foobar ABX. (you all do realize there is no true 24/16 ABX test in Foobar right?).

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #364 of 547
Quote:

Why in the name of reason are you arguing with this wassock - he steadfastly refuses to do any kind of DBT and will go on doing so forever

Sure Nick. With Foobar right? Lol..(PS you cannot ABX 24 bit with 16 bit in Foobar, have any other suggestions?)

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #365 of 547
Quote:

So you suggest that this recording would be identical in 16/44.1? If that's the case, why wouldn't it be released in the far more commerically viable 16 bit format?

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #367 of 547
Quote:
So you suggest that this recording would be identical in 16/44.1? If that's the case, why wouldn't it be released in the far more commerically viable 16 bit format?

Because they can charge more for a supposedly higher-grade file?

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #368 of 547
Quote:
Yeah this is just gonna keep going in circles...

Hey Chewy,

It sounds good if you like The Nightfly. I recommend it. Was my only point to begin with until abhoms predictably began. I do think there's some head scratching going on with Foobar ABX around these parts. Especially when it is impossible to do in Foobar (compare 24 bit blind with 16 bit in WASAPI mode).

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #369 of 547
I think this has progressed beyond electronics to a biological problem.

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #370 of 547
Quote:
Because they can charge more for a supposedly higher-grade file?

Oh really? So selling only to the audiphile community results in larger units sales than 256k or even 16 bit ALAC (now available on HD Tracks).

Of course, the truth is that the 24 bit recording was indeed upsampled from 16 bit....and blows away the 16 bit CD. Must get back to the truth....remastered or not.

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #371 of 547
Quote:
I think this has progressed beyond electronics to a biological problem.

Any possible way you can create a single post without the abhoms? Nah. But you know what they same about name callers in a debate....

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #372 of 547
PS- I have asked once again about the flawed ABX test in Foobar (impossible to blind test 24 bit vs 16 bit). The predicted crickets have returned.

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #373 of 547
Quote:
Oh really? So selling only to the audiphile community results in larger units sales than 256k or even 16 bit ALAC (now available on HD Tracks).

Of course, the truth is that the 24 bit recording was indeed upsampled from 16 bit....and blows away the 16 bit CD. Must get back to the truth....remastered or not.

When the regular music sales market is completely and totally saturated, hell yeah it does.

If you wanna ABX the two then just convert the file to 16 bit and then back to 24 bit. Then you've got two files you can ABX, one is a 24 bit without the 24 bit data, the other is the 24 bit with that extra data.

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #374 of 547
If you want answers, you have to listen.

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #375 of 547
There are a variety of other ways to do an ABX or other blind test, anyway.

e.g. to compare file1 with file2, randomly create a bunch of copies of both (e.g. 10 copies of file1 and 10 copies of file2), label them a / b / c / d / e etc.  Keep a log of which letter is a copy of which file, but set it up such that you don't know which is which.  You could do this with a simple script or maybe just have somebody else rename files for you and keep the list without letting you know.  Then listen to a and compare it to file1 and file2, guess which one it is.  Do the same for b, then c, etc.  Don't even need to use the dreaded foobar...

As for confirming masters, I'm not sure what kind of detective work, looking up sources of releases -> guesswork is superior to actually looking at the files in an audio editor, seriously.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back