30GB iPod 5G dying...In need of at least an 80GB mp3 player
Jul 18, 2008 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

AgainstTheGrain

500+ Head-Fier
had my ipod for about 3 years and the battery is biting the dust. i don't want to just replace the battery, i want to replace the device. i was looking at the cowon iaudio x5. i'm looking for:

storage space
best sq for se530s and probably triple fis down the road
and battery life.

everything else i secondary with audio quality and space the number 1 priorities.

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 22
X5 if you can find it is great, or the new classic is a good option. I personally like the Zune, but I'm an EQ'er and cant get a device without this feature.

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X5 if you can find it is great, or the new classic is a good option. I personally like the Zune, but I'm an EQ'er and cant get a device without this feature.

EQ isn't a big deal for me. i'm fine with presets. how do the x5, classic, and zune compare to each other in terms of sound quality?

Jul 18, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #4 of 22
There's no presets on the zune either, and the Zune doesn't have a line-out. However, it is an awesome device, prettier (Imo), smarter (the software on i rocks) and with less of the feeling I'm becoming a sheep than an iPod.

Jul 18, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #5 of 22
I had a Zune and the SQ is PRISTINE with great separation and clarity. If your not into EQing then the Zune80 OR Classic is for you as both sound damn good w/no EQ engaged. Cowon players a more for the person who likes to alter the sound of their tunes.

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 22
Zune 80 is going to be your best bet here.

Seriously, if you're needing at least 80GB, you must be watching movies on the player, and the iPod's tiny little screen is terrible for this compared to the Zune's big, pretty widescreen display.

Apropos of raw SQ, I agree with the iAudio x5, it's a lovely sounding player, but they don't go up to 80GB.

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 22
I am going to buy a Zune 80 for anime/movies, and use my A728 for music.

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am going to buy a Zune 80 for anime/movies, and use my A728 for music.

I was thinking the same myself - only I'm gonna' add video podcasts to the equation (Cult Of UHF is EXCELLENT).

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 22
i gotta say thumbs up for the zune 80 w/ its headphone out.

im sure with a line out and an amp you can beat the zune80 SQ but you will lose pocketability and portability.

for straight out of the headphone out i think the zune is tip top. not to mention the big screen and the touch squircle is a great way to interface.

only thing is that as of now there is no option to go line out in a portable fasion (using a desk dock is not portable)

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking the same myself - only I'm gonna' add video podcasts to the equation (Cult Of UHF is EXCELLENT).

what is that podcast for ?
what is the matter of that Cult ?

Jul 18, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #12 of 22
"Squircle" is the best word ever.

I am giggling inanely at my desk from that word.

Jul 18, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #13 of 22
The sound quality of the Zune 80 is superior to the iPod Classic from the headphone out, in my opinion, so I'd say the Zune is your best bet.

Jul 19, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #14 of 22
the zune doesn't have line out? that sucks...no go for me on that one. i need a player that has line out as well. and no im not using 80GB for videos...idon't have a single video on my ipod at i'm at like 25GB. lossless takes up alot of space and i have alot of music. the zune is nice but i most def want a player that has line out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back