3000 posts
Nov 24, 2004 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

commando

Headphoneus Supremus
<bart simpson>Aye Caramba!</bart simpson>

3000 posts about headphones... wow. At this point i'm considering selling a lot of my gear to make way for my new hobby... photography. I think i'll be left with a PPA with diamond buffer, A900s, and the AV710, after selling the DT-770s, modded Emu 1212, and who knows what else I have lying around. If you think headphones are expensive, wait until you start buying lenses...

Nov 25, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 14
Congrats, and get a LIFE will ya!?!
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2004 at 6:35 AM Post #4 of 14
Wow, you've a double headphone supremus, and in less than a year. Did someone suggest that you get a life already? Yes, I do think that has come up! Nah, just kidding. Really, I'm kidding. Your posts are always interesting and fun to read.

Nov 25, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #6 of 14
That's great, Commando. You're one of the few who have figured out when to draw the line.

I'm in photography too and what is worse, I prefer 35mm film or medium format to digital and use professional and slide film only so you can imagine how expensive it is for me. I could use up to 10 shots on a single subject just to experiment with lighting... As a result, I leave this hobby to the holidays only!
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2004 at 7:00 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Your posts are always interesting and fun to read.

Ha! I just try and stop people making the same mistakes I have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
Photography has nothin' on astronomy when it comes to cost
smily_headphones1.gif

God, how did I get into three of the most expensive hobbies?

Aye, I hear you, same way I do I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flea Bag
That's great, Commando. You're one of the few who have figured out when to draw the line.

I'm in photography too and what is worse, I prefer 35mm film or medium format to digital and use professional and slide film only so you can imagine how expensive it is for me. I could use up to 10 shots on a single subject just to experiment with lighting... As a result, I leave this hobby to the holidays only!
tongue.gif

The line's way behind me... some of my mates pissed themselves laughing when I told them my work headphone rig's worth NZ$1900 - that's about US$1200 I guess.

Digital saves loads of money, and lets me experiment without worrying about cost. Lenses are the expensive part, the camera's just the tip of the iceberg... I want a flash or two, another good tripod, maybe a monopod, image stabilising lenses, etc, etc.

Nov 25, 2004 at 7:11 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
Digital saves loads of money, and lets me experiment without worrying about cost. Lenses are the expensive part, the camera's just the tip of the iceberg... I want a flash or two, another good tripod, maybe a monopod, image stabilising lenses, etc, etc.

Digital is nice, but I still prefer a nice manual system for the best images. Unfortunately, decent bodies are getting harder to find, and most good lenses are now used.

Nov 25, 2004 at 9:33 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
Digital is nice, but I still prefer a nice manual system for the best images. Unfortunately, decent bodies are getting harder to find, and most good lenses are now used.

I will never go anywhere near a film SLR, not before i fully understand the photography techniques and stuff... it is just way to expensive for me to have lots of bad results.
with my current digital camera, on a trip to excursion, i usually come home with around 200 images.
after loading them into the PC and sort them out, i usually end up with maybe 10 or 12 images that i like, or maybe a bit more. but im sure its not gonna be more than 25% of the total pictures.
i just got myself an extra battery, so that will be around 400 images, and i can say that maybe out of that 400, at least 300 will go down the drain...

now imagine how much money i'd waste on film if i went film path...
eek.gif

Nov 25, 2004 at 9:35 AM Post #11 of 14
I was way more into film in high school when I had the school's dark room to work in, and lots of cheap film. I even did some medium format stuff, but we didn't have any lenses for it, so none of the prints were any good.

Nov 25, 2004 at 9:41 AM Post #12 of 14
Digital is great for experimentation. Over 5 days away I took about 600 shots, 200 of which I deleted in-camera, 150 weren't great, and I got 50 I wanted to share. That was doing a lot of experimentation, which I just wouldn't do with a film camera. On the other hand, when i'm being careful I can now get 75% decent shots, because of my experimentation.

A 1GB memory card holds like 300-350 6MP pics... i'm considering a 2GB card so I don't have to worry about deleting them on the go. I bought myself a load of batteries cheap from http://sterlingtech.com

Nov 25, 2004 at 11:39 AM Post #13 of 14
hi, i just started observing this website due to a new interest in headphone listening, i have the ath-m40s which are ok headphones, i'm interested in getting perhaps the dt880s or the ms2s, which i know are quite different, with upfrontness and soundstage and stuff, i just purchased the xenos 3ha headphone amp which looks like it will be decent quality per the specs, should get it in a few day, and then see what the ath-m40fs will sound like, my question is about resistance in headphones/ohms, with a good regular stereo amp, you would purchase 8 ohm speakers, maybe 6 or 4 ohm also, but, usually 8 or 6 , nobody would purchase 16 or 32 ohm speakers for this purpose, why do people buy 300 ohm sennheisers or 250 ohm beyerdynamics, you will need so much more potential in the amp to draw the same current and thus produce a similar power output, i don't know much, i just remember from high school that i=v/r ; p=vi
tongue.gif
, so, anyway, what are the advantages to having the higher resistance in those obviously very good headphones?

Nov 25, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #14 of 14
hmm bryynnn

I'm sure that there is some real logic somewhere from a technical standpoint, but from memory - a fair few years back, the 'standard' impedance for headphones was 600ohms (for what reason, I have no idea - probably due to magnet power or something)

Anyway... i'm not totally sure there is any hard and fast rule... just go with a sound you like
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back