$3000 budget on a portable rig !!!
Sep 14, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #46 of 124
not sure if this will work in practice (or if someone already said something about this combo already)

Apple Ipod Classic (240gb) -> Cypher Labs Algorithm DLO -> JH-3A system -> JH13/16

Should be within budget, you have the best UI, relatively portable, and should be impressive

Sep 14, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #47 of 124
thanks for the suggestion but the ipod classic before generation 6 can't be used *not sure if the new gens can have the HDD upgraded* but that sounds good except the cypher labs solo is huge and seems more like a transport item than a portable thats why I am looking at the 5 inch netbooks So I can have digital out in a portable device/having a computer in your pocket *literally* isn't bad at all can come in handy lmao.

Quote:
not sure if this will work in practice (or if someone already said something about this combo already)

Apple Ipod Classic (240gb) -> Cypher Labs Algorithm DLO -> JH-3A system -> JH13/16

Should be within budget, you have the best UI, relatively portable, and should be impressive

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #48 of 124

Quote:

If the OP wants large storage capacity, that is probably their best choice. If not, I would go for a source with digital output plus JH-3A system (Viliv S5). BTW, it is "Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo".

Edit: Post is outdated, forgot to refresh.

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #49 of 124
"Oops, you just lost your $500 $3000 portable rig. Oops, someone stole your $500 $3000 portable rig. Oops, your $500 $3000 portable rig just broke because it's made out of poop." -Luminette, a Head-Fier

Just be careful if you take it outside. If it still matters, why don't you spend those $3000 on a home rig instead?

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #50 of 124

Quote:
It's not a matter of bit perfect as most are. They still sound different and you need to listen. I was just today comparing my favored for PC Media Monkey to the latest J.River Media Center with memory play via  ASIO through a firewire TC Konnekt and wav files. Memory play made J River less ringy and to have better timing yet it's the same bits whether detoured through ram or not. This was through a DAC with the best jitter rejection input I've experienced.

Interesting. In that case, I guess I am wrong. So now I am back to square one (you have to try before you buy). Which is still a pretty good idea to go by. Thanks for your information!

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #51 of 124

Quote:
"Oops, you just lost your $500 $3000 portable rig. Oops, someone stole your $500 $3000 portable rig. Oops, your $500 $3000 portable rig just broke because it's made out of poop." -Luminette, a Head-Fier

Just be careful if you take it outside. If it still matters, why don't you spend those $3000 on a home rig instead?

1st concealed weapons permit  *try to steal from me*  2nd I don't see how it's even remotely possible to lose such a portable rig in the first place and 3 I hate home
smily_headphones1.gif
or I should say home is wherever I am XD. lmao whats with the $500 crossed out ?

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #52 of 124

Quote:
1st concealed weapons permit  *try to steal from me*  2nd I don't see how it's even remotely possible to lose such a portable rig in the first place and 3 I hate home
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" /> or I should say home is wherever I am XD. lmao whats with the $500 crossed out ?

If you are OK with the liability and cost (and think the cost is worth it) then by all means, go ahead.

BTW, it was written like that because that it had $500 written in the original post. See here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/374155/leaving-portable-hifi-it-s-too-silly

The irony is the OP recommends going for the top-tier custom IEM. The top-tier custom IEM at the moment is the JH-3A.

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #53 of 124

Quote:
 lmao whats with the $500 crossed out ?

It's a nice way of saying that you need to be willing to accept the fact that if you ever "misplace" your portable system, you will be losing more than what the value and purpose of portability represents to most people. 

Quote:
 1st concealed weapons permit  *try to steal from me*

IMHO a weapons permit isn't going to prevent you from misplacing a backpack.  Do you intend to shoot yourself if that happens? 

Sep 15, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #57 of 124

Quote:
Huh? That's not how I understand it at all... :S

How do you understand it?

In my opinion, the top-tier IEM custom IEMs mainly include (but are not limited to) the Westone ES5, Ultimate Ears UE18, JHA JH-13/16, and the JH-3A. From my understanding (and hearing) the JH-3A is the best IEM.

Sep 15, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #58 of 124
The JH-3A is a portable amp (with DSP) that can be used solely with modified JH IEMs (JH13/16) to separate the frequencies into three different ranges.
So in effect the 3A is not an IEM, but rather works directly with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back