$3000 budget on a portable rig !!!
Sep 22, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #91 of 124
See, there is reasonable and stupid. A portable tube rig? God...
Personally I find some of the posts in this topic laughable, but then I keep telling myself - each to their own.

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #92 of 124

Quote:
dude, you are nuts and it's a funny thread..basically how I read that was; if you are getting a JH product now (NOT the JH3A) but a single IEM for use *today*, he was suggesting you first get the JH13. THEN when you get the JH3A, you pair it with the 16's. So you would have two pairs, one JH13 for use now, and one JH3A-16 for use then....in a dream world, that would maybe be my set-up..

There is no "perfect" solution that fits everyone's needs at any price.  Our hearing and preferences differ for the most part and ultimately whatever combination of components give you the most satisfaction within your budget will be "The Best" that is until the next best thing comes along.  So, it is a vicious circle, but fun.

The premise of the JH-3A--to be able to "simulate" programmable DSP preferences depending on variables such as recording, genre, listening preferences, etc.,--is what makes it special as a concept in a portable form factor.  It makes sense to get it with the JH16 customs just because you can "simulate" a JH13 signature, while the reverse is not quite true, because of the differences between the more advanced design of the JH16 (triple bore/quad-bass drivers with more headroom).

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #93 of 124

Quote:
See, there is reasonable and stupid. A portable tube rig? God...
Personally I find some of the posts in this topic laughable, but then I keep telling myself - each to their own.

Sure, it's been done before and I had both of these.  The Millet Hybrid portable tube amp is on the left:  http://www.headfonia.com/ttvj-ttvj/

The TTVJ Slim on the right is a tube sounding solid state portable amp, one of my favorites with the JH13s.

Sep 24, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #95 of 124
This.....

Quote:
warp08 I am officially confused and have questioned my decision making abilities *can't decide on anything anymore...lmao" so why the 13pro's and not the 16's. so basically if I'm looking to upgrade the my IEM's get the 13's if I'm ok sticking with a standard lod/stock cables go with jh16's gotcha XD.

leads to...

My (trying to be helpful) answer....

Quote:
dude, you are nuts and it's a funny thread..basically how I read that was; if you are getting a JH product now (NOT the JH3A) but a single IEM for use *today*, he was suggesting you first get the JH13. THEN when you get the JH3A, you pair it with the 16's. So you would have two pairs, one JH13 for use now, and one JH3A-16 for use then....in a dream world, that would maybe be my set-up..

Leads to this?

Quote:

There is no "perfect" solution that fits everyone's needs at any price.  Our hearing and preferences differ for the most part and ultimately whatever combination of components give you the most satisfaction within your budget will be "The Best" that is until the next best thing comes along.  So, it is a vicious circle, but fun.

The premise of the JH-3A--to be able to "simulate" programmable DSP preferences depending on variables such as recording, genre, listening preferences, etc.,--is what makes it special as a concept in a portable form factor.  It makes sense to get it with the JH16 customs just because you can "simulate" a JH13 signature, while the reverse is not quite true, because of the differences between the more advanced design of the JH16 (triple bore/quad-bass drivers with more headroom).

I'm not quite sure why you quoted me in your reply, not that it matters, because I don't care what the kid does, but I was trying to point out an answer to his question above ...anyway...carry on......

Sep 25, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #97 of 124
I certainly found Jude's initial impressions interesting.  I'm not sure whether this is targeted towards a Professional rather than the Prosumer market, though.  Would love to listen to a demo unit myself.

Sep 25, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #98 of 124
I've heard a portable tube amp before, it worked and that was amazing enough.
smile_phones.gif

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #101 of 124

Quote:

So full of win.
rolleyes.gif

You could say that, but for a portable amp, I assumed that ability. The pinging wasn't a very nice sound "addition" even though mine was of the latter models where some dampening material was added to mitigate it.  It was a high-gain amp, not really suitable for my lone pair of JH16 Pros at the time.

Oct 2, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #102 of 124
one thing im going to do to at least TRY to improve portability with my ipod touch/jh3a rig is get a long LOD.. so that i can put the jh3a in one pocket, and the ipod in another.. or something along those lines..
this makes much more sense to me than trying to tie them all together and lug a big brick around

Oct 2, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #105 of 124

The case on top of the prototype digital development mule box is your JH-3A casing plugged into my iPad via a Whiplash LOD. The casing supposed to be identical to the production version unless plans have changed since Can Jam back in June, which is a possibility.  It is certainly portable and you should be able to carry it in a way you could a HM-801.  It's a matter of preference of how much weight you're willing to carry around.  I see it more of a desktop system plugged into an M2Tech HiFace Coax Digital out of a MacBook Pro for the best portable source, but I'm sure it will sound very good from the analog input as well.  The prototype certainly did and that was using JH16 demo units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back