$300 to spend on audio. Should I get a new amplifier or go vinyl?
Oct 4, 2010 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

revolink24

Headphoneus Supremus
So here I am and once again I find myself with a little extra money to put into my audio setup. At this point, I have two basic options: I can get a new headphone amplifier (Probably a Schiit or similar) or I can get an entry-level ish vinyl setup.

First, a little background.

I've sold off all headphones I own except HF2s, though I'll probably pick up HD600s sometime in the future.
I currently am down again to two amps. The SSMH and the Little Dot I+. Neither is superb, but they get the job done.

Concerns.

$300 won't get me a decent vinyl setup. (I could stretch to $400 if necessary.)
I don't have any vinyl.
I'm not really a believer in "vinyl sounds better" except for releases that are better mastered on vinyl (which is, admittedly, a lot.)

Pros to vinyl:

Lots of cheap used vinyl.
Better mastered recordings.
It's cool.

Pros to Headphone Amplifier:

I already have a large CD/FLAC collection. 
Could be used on Vinyl later.

So I guess I'm asking which would be more worthwhile to me at this point and in this price range.
If anyone has any suggestions for used or new vinyl rigs in that price range, I would love to hear them.

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 21
I was looking at that but the built in A/D converter makes me question the value proposition. What do people think of the MMF 2.2? I might be able to find one used someplace... Also, the Pro-Ject Debut III? Stereophile (yes, I know) had a very positive review of it. Besides it comes in gloss blue (which is awesome.)
http://www.stereophile.com/turntables/pro-ject_debut_iii_record_player/index1.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/PRO-JECT-DEBUT-III-UP-GRADE-SHURE-M111E-MM-CARTRIDGE-/160488721637?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255ddf8ce5#ht_2664wt_1139

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 21
Do you have a phono stage or receiver that can Handel a MM cartridge???  I'd look for a rega P1 or a used P-3, because of the RB 300 arm...You could even buy an entry level Project...That's what I bought for my 15yr old for his system......I also got him a Shure EM91 cart.  He loves his vinyl for room listening and uses an Ipod for on the go music as most kids do... Back to your Question.... Good vinyl sound takes some time, The Hunt for LPs, the cleaning of your LPs...and of course the money for (upgrade i-tist)..........Maybe ask yourself, Do I listen more on the go or in my "main systems" room......Good luck........I love and prefer LPs over any other Medea, but that's just MHO.....

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 21
If I was you, I would look into saving up for this thing. The Furutech GT40 USB DAC with Phono Stage has it all: mm/mc phono stage, adc/dac, and a headphone amp. It came out earlier this year and has a good brand name, but I have no idea how it sounds and reviews here are scant. However, its unique feature set may be perfect for your needs. Cryoparts has them for $480. You can even use it as a preamp if you don't have a turntable.

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 21
Once again, if I don't need all the silly additions (headphone out, DAC/ADC, Line-level input, whatever) wouldn't it be better value to get a dedicated phono preamp?

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
Once again, if I don't need all the silly additions (headphone out, DAC/ADC, Line-level input, whatever) wouldn't it be better value to get a dedicated phono preamp?

Didn't you say you were considering a headphone amp and like to play music files from your computer? If you are also planning on a turntable this would kill at least three birds with one stone, four if you ever want to digitize your vinyl.

Oct 5, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #8 of 21
Oct 5, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #9 of 21

Quote:

Quote:

Didn't you say you were considering a headphone amp and like to play music files from your computer? If you are also planning on a turntable this would kill at least three birds with one stone, four if you ever want to digitize your vinyl.

I should have mentioned I already have a DAC for my desktop, so the only shared components between the vinyl and the computer rigs would be the amplifiers (most likely just my custom ridiculously not starving student build of the SSMH). Because I already have a decent DAC the only logical next step would be an input switcher for the amp.

Oct 5, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #10 of 21
Unfortunately they're a bit pricier here in the US, but there's always eBay and Audiogon.

Oct 5, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #11 of 21
tricky to say....

If you have some Vinyl, or a very good source
smily_headphones1.gif
otherwise its kind of scary.

Dont forget to budget for a record cleaner, at least consider it as a down-the-line expense. This is particularly true if you buy lots of used garrage sale vinyl, as I do.

If you do go for the analog disc system, I am quite fond of the Technics 1200 as a budget deck. It makes lots of more expensive TT's feel sad. Perhaps you can find one on CL, although they are getting close to your budget. 

After that, its a matter of getting a phono stage. Do you have (or need) an "all in 1" integrated amp? the older ones usually had very nice phono stages, and can be found at thrift-stores and craigslist all day long for cheap.

I would get a new cartridge no mater what TT you get from who. At the very least a new stylus. If you need a new cart, the Grado Black is a great go-to.

Ooh, and if you play your cards right, and shop around a bit you should still have a bit of your $300 left for vinyl
smily_headphones1.gif
maybe $25 for records if you are a good craigslist negotiator.

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #12 of 21
The Ortofon cartridge that comes with the Pro-Ject (and the Rega P1, and I think perhaps the Music Hall 2.2) has some incredibly good reviews for a $55 cartridge. I'll consider that a down the line thing rather than something that needs to be done immediately. At the moment I'm running out of a DACMagic/E-MU 0404 (dependent on my mood and motivation at any given moment) to my SSMH, so while vinyl might not be a tremendous source upgrade I really like the amazing deals on used vinyl at local record stores. That said, my amp is certainly the "weakest link" at the moment. I can really only do one thing at once though. I'm a college student and I'm on a seriously limited budget with my other hobbies (expensive ones: photography, pens, watches, knives, you get the idea.) That Cambridge phono preamp looks really nice as well, I'll keep my eye out on ebay and audiogon.

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #13 of 21
I'd go with vinyl. It will give you access to lots more music, which is worth it right there.

$400 will get you in, but keep in mind that you'll end up spending more over time.
smily_headphones1.gif
The SL1200 is a good way in and I also loved the Rega Planar 3 I had. The Regas have a great arm and an endless array of modifications.

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #14 of 21
G C Audio has the Pro-ject Debut III with integrated phono and usb output for $399 + ship:  http://www.gcaudio.com/cgi-bin/store/showProduct.cgi?id=485

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #15 of 21
I'm lazy so I like automatic operation and I like to have a dustcover, so when I picked up a second tt for my surround receiver I got the Denon DP-300F/Ortofon 2M Red closeout combo from Needle Doctor. You can get them cheaper separately, but they mount the cart on the headshell at the right angle for you and have good support. The cartridge is great, and the DP300F has a nice heavy plinth and a built-in phono stage that is actually quite competent considering the price, so I think its a great value proposition.

It's actually a very good looking turntable as well:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Turntable-Sale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back