$300 to spend...Best for iPod?
Jan 14, 2008 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Derek1984

New Head-Fier
I am willing to spend up to $300 on some new headphones for my iPod mini. It doesn't matter if they're cans, or earbuds. I just want the best possible sound quality I can get for how much I am willing to spend. I like to hear all background instruments and vocals that I may not be able to hear with cheaper headphones. I do not mind if any sound leaks out. They do not have to be portable friendly. I will be listening mostly to R&B and Pop. So what is the best sound quality I can get for my ipod?

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How portable do you want your rig to be?

You may be best served by picking up a portable amp and some decent IEMs/cans.

-Pony

I don't know much about amps but it would have to be really small for me. I don't know how small they make them but I want something that would be portable for me to travel and take places. Something like pocket-sized if they even come that small. With that being said, if amps come that small then I would want the amp and headphones to add to no more that the $300. If amps don't come that small, then I would just want headphones and skip the amp.

Jan 14, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 10
For around $250 you can get the Audio Technica AD900. They will work pretty well with almost any music genre as well as movies and games. You could also get the Alessandro MS-1 for around $100 but it wont work as well for all music genres or for movies and games. The AD900 would be more comfortable and have a larger soundstage. The MS-1 would probably work a little better for R&B and Pop music but I cant say for certain.

Both can also be driven reasonably well by an ipod without an amp but you will still have money left over to buy a cheap portable amp if you want to.

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 10
ms1's would probably be good, but i think u can get MS2's for 300 with free shipping worldwide, if you want to step it up a level.

you could get yuin pk1's and a decent portable amp for under 300, and they sound really amazing for earbuds, its my current go everywhere earphone, paired with a minibox E (totals 250ish)

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 10
wait, you don't care about the headphone size, but you care about the player/amp size?

hd25-1 =)

Jan 14, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 10
Shure E500, Triple_Fi 10pro or Denon AD2000.

Jan 14, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 10
x2 on PK1. I'm running them through a Go-Vibe V5, but have Pico on order. I'm pretty certain you will find something between those two options cost/performance-wise.

Keep in mind that if you get an amp, you will likely want/need a iPod line out. They'll run you about $25-100. The FS area has had lots of used ones. I've used/use the AudioLineOut Bling Bling and Copper Docks. Very nice construction, but are a bit pricey.

Quote:

Originally Posted by limathy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ms1's would probably be good, but i think u can get MS2's for 300 with free shipping worldwide, if you want to step it up a level.

you could get yuin pk1's and a decent portable amp for under 300, and they sound really amazing for earbuds, its my current go everywhere earphone, paired with a minibox E (totals 250ish)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back