$300 RANGE (I am new to Head-Fi as well)
May 17, 2013 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RaheemJamaal

New Head-Fier
I definitely do not consider myself an audiophile yet, but I am starting to develop my ear for it. I am on a serious search for some new cans. I've owned the Audio Technica M50s which I loved, but the wiring frayed in the input jack. So I am planning on getting those completely re-cabled because the coat of the wiring is terrible, but what would you guys say is the most ideal headphone in the $300 range?.. Somewhat portable (sounds good without external amplification), closed back, good seal, comfortable for hours on your head and ears, sparkly highs, well rounded mids, and tight bass?..

Thanks again!

May 17, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 11
AKG K550/K551 <- people complain about lack of bass but it was fine for me and the cups are shallow so comfort could be an issue. the cups have a large diameter so it might make portable use a little harder.

Sony MDR-7520/MDR-Z1000/MDR-1R <- I have only heard of the 7520 but I think all these can fit your needs.

V-moda m100 <- Have no idea about this one but you might want to look into it

Sennheiser momentums <- again I know very little about this pair but worth a look as it is getting a lot of praise.

Shure SRH-940 <- I think that's the model. I've had a bit of experience with Shure IEM but not full size.

Mr. Speaker Maddog <- heard a lot of praise but I haven't heard it myself.

For portable use, I shy away from Beyerdynamic as their headphones are quite large

Just some suggestions to get your research going. Good luck.

May 17, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 11
Any reason why you want a portable headphone as opposed to IEM's?

Usually IEM's do better for the money when talking about portability, especially if you factor in isolation.

May 17, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 11
Hello!

First of all, not everyone likes IEM design...

For $300, you can look into the K550 if you allow some big boys hanging around, if not, the MDR-1R which is my 3/4th favorite closed headphones. Colored mids, solid bass. A pretty good headphone if you ask me. If not, the PSB M4U1! It's the something as PSB M4U2 but without a
Active- noise cancelation. Pretty "accurate" sounding, bass extend down to 20Hz, very nice imaging and fairly detailed! These two headphones are very clear sounding and minimum sibilants. It sound great too out of my iNano 3 and iPhone!

Hope this help!
Billson :D

May 18, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 11
I've always been opposed to active noise canceling since I borrowed my friend's Bose QC15s and then buying the M50s and seeing the difference in the richness of the sound, but I've heard good things about the PSBs. The only reason I don't plan on getting IEMs is because I have terrible like with wires fraying at the input jack. I like IEMs, but I want some longevity and durability not to say IEMs aren't great. Especially for isolation.

May 19, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #9 of 11
I've always been opposed to active noise canceling since I borrowed my friend's Bose QC15s and then buying the M50s and seeing the difference in the richness of the sound, but I've heard good things about the PSBs. The only reason I don't plan on getting IEMs is because I have terrible like with wires fraying at the input jack. I like IEMs, but I want some longevity and durability not to say IEMs aren't great. Especially for isolation.

The PSBs are he best headphones I listened to in the rice range below $600+

And at includes all he ones I have/had and the ones I auditioned. They are unbelievable good. I am going to buy them and without any doubt would recommend them o anyone. Both versions M4U2-1 and -2.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-300ish-headphone/
Good info to be found there.

May 19, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 11
If I had to some up a Top 5 List of Closed/Sealed Headphones in the $300 range, it would be this:

(In No Significant Order)

1. V-Moda Crossfade M-100

2. Audio Technica ATH-A900X

3. AKG K550

4. Sennheiser Momentum

5. Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back