$300: New Amp, Cans, or Both?
Dec 31, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #31 of 39
The HE-400 I was suggesting is the original HE-400,which is no longer being made so you'need to buy used.same goes for the HE-500...the 400i and 400S i cannot vouch for,but the S version prolly wont work so well as its mobile friendly.

Dec 31, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #32 of 39
@HaggisMacJedi the HE-400 is one of my favorite headphones but they probably won’t work with what you have. They do not need the Nuclear power of the HE-6 or Abyss but do need some juice . I know some run them on speaker taps from vintage gear but don’t know about straight out of the headphone jack.

HE-400 92.5db
HE-500 89.5db

I have never owned the HE-400,but my receivers all manhandled the HE-500 with aplomb.

Dec 31, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #33 of 39
I think I may have edited my last post while some of you were replying, so I think then I'm trying to decide between the HD6xx and the HE-400 because both of them are within my $300 budget (right now it's cash and so I absolutely can't budge on that right now). Considering I'd be pushing them through my Yamaha CR-800 almost exclusively, which of these two do you think would be better? I listen to a wide variety of music including LOTS of symphonic John Williams/Michael Giacchino/James Horner type movie soundtracks, to 80's hair metal (Stryper, Motley Crue, Metallica), to jazz like Dave Brubeck and Buddy Rich, to 80s pop like Michael Jackson and Huey Lewis and the News, to opera (both of my degrees are in vocal music), to bluegrass (I live in the very heart of bluegrass music) and even video gaming.
This one i know without a doubt...HD6XX suck for gaming.

Dec 31, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #35 of 39
This one i know without a doubt...HD6XX suck for gaming.

+1 clamping is very tight and it has a narrow sound stage which doesnt lend itself to gaming.

If gaming is a priority you can look into the Beyer DT880 600ohm or DT990 600ohm,both of which are quite bright.I wasnt fond of the mids on Beyers but they do offer great detail and super wide staging.

For music Id prolly opt for the HE-500,HD650(HD6xx),HE-400 in that order.

Now youre beginning to understand why many of us own several pairs of headphones.Im currently sitting on 14 pair:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #36 of 39
Gaming is not a priority and I’m fine with what I have for that so that’s a non-factor really.

I have to stay under $300 so some of the cans mentioned are not an option.

I’m leaning toward the HD6xx as they are $199.99 on Massdrop, but man that 3 month wait is almost a deal killer.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #37 of 39
Now youre beginning to understand why many of us own several pairs of headphones.Im currently sitting on 14 pair:ksc75smile:

I'm sitting on less pairs than you yet I barely have enough space for all of mine...

Gaming is not a priority and I’m fine with what I have for that so that’s a non-factor really.

I have to stay under $300 so some of the cans mentioned are not an option.

I’m leaning toward the HD6xx as they are $199.99 on Massdrop, but man that 3 month wait is almost a deal killer.

If the 3 month wait is too long you could try taking a look at the for sale market on Head-Fi, a brand new or barely used HD6XX pops up every once in a while there. A lot of people end up impulse buying the HD6XX it seems.

Jan 1, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #39 of 39

Users who are viewing this thread

Back