$300: New Amp, Cans, or Both?
Dec 31, 2017 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

HaggisMacJedi

New Head-Fier
I have $300 to spend and want to improve my sound and would like advice on how to best spend it.

I play my music through:
Mac Mini
iPhone 7
Kenwood Turntable/Yamaha Receiver from the mid 70’s

I listen through:
Eartech Triples custom IEM
ATH-M50’s
Grado SR-80e

Should I get a new set of cans or a headphone amp/DAC and can you make specific recommendations based on what I already have?

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 39
I have $300 to spend and want to improve my sound and would like advice on how to best spend it.

I play my music through:
Mac Mini
iPhone 7

I listen through:
ATH-M50’s
Grado SR-80e

Should I get a new set of cans or a headphone amp/DAC and can you make specific recommendations based on what I already have?
Look my dear, for headphones like these I would not spend more than $100 on a desk amp/dac, so I recommend buying the Schiit Fulla 2 and who knows the Sennheiser HD 598, with that amount to buy the two and there is still money left over.

Dec 31, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #8 of 39
You have a bit of a dilemma.Your mobile devices need low ohm/high sensitivity HPs,meanwhile your TT+receiver combo needs the exact opposite,which it looks like you currently do not own.

It depends on what set-up you use most frequently.

Dec 31, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 39
6XX with Fulla 2 ? bad choice, it has no power to drive 300 ohm.

But with $300 you could buy the 6XX and the Magni 3, and in the future a dac, maybe the Modi Multibit.

The 6xx would work real well straight from your Yamaha receiver,but you will need an amp for your other set-ups.

Those are both better than Grados in the equivalent price range?

What are your musical preferences?

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #10 of 39
6XX with Fulla 2 ? bad choice, it has no power to drive 300 ohm.

HD650: 1.68mW to reach 100 dB/SPL
Schiit Fulla 2: Maximum Power at 300 ohms, 40mW RMS per channel

Sure, Fulla 2 has not enough power. You can believe what you want, I'm here to try to help to OP. He can make his own decisions based on what information is given to him.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #11 of 39
On Massdrop 200 for 6xx and 190 for Darkvoice336se.
It need 390, 90 is over but if 2nd unit I think its sure possible with 300 or less for TOTAL set.
Upgrade path later for 336 is very easy, and not cost much of money to bring sound like hdvd800.
I use my 336 more than my hdvd800

Dec 31, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #12 of 39

I play my music through:
Mac Mini
iPhone 7

I listen through:
ATH-M50’s
Grado SR-80e

for the money a $300 amp will make them cans sound new and improved! Get the most amp you can get. ----> My recommendation. iFi AUDIO micro-iCAN SE

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #15 of 39
Is this the one that’s featured right now on the main Head-Fi page?
no that is the mini black edition, the one I mentioned is a stand alone dac/amp that you have to plug in. If you want something mobile then the iFi AUDIO nano iCAN is the one you want. They sound clean and powerful. I use to have the prior and it ROCKS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back