$300: New Amp, Cans, or Both?
Dec 31, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #16 of 39
Those are both better than Grados in the equivalent price range?
Saying another headphone is better depends on the person . I haven’t heard those earphones so don’t know about them but your other two are quite different from one another. To some Grado’s are an acquired taste . I don’t mind them so much and just picked up a pair of RS 1’s and starting to like them myself. But what has been said before by others I think getting a pair of HD-6xx’s would be a nice choice as they will run on your vintage gear very nicely. Just don’t think you will get a big benefit going for a amp/dac with the headphones you have as I don’t think it will help out that much. You can also get a Fulla2 and the 6xx’s and be in your budget. Haven’t heard the Fulla2 with the 6xx’s but it is a nice little device for the money. For the money you have I don’t think a amp/dac is going to help much as the cans you have really don’t require too much power (though I like most of my stuff amped) and you would see a bigger increase in sound quality with a better set of headphones. But in the end it is your money and your choice we just give you our advice as what you asked for.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #17 of 39
Saying another headphone is better depends on the person . I haven’t heard those earphones so don’t know about them but your other two are quite different from one another. To some Grado’s are an acquired taste . I don’t mind them so much and just picked up a pair of RS 1’s and starting to like them myself. But what has been said before by others I think getting a pair of HD-6xx’s would be a nice choice as they will run on your vintage gear very nicely. Just don’t think you will get a big benefit going for a amp/dac with the headphones you have as I don’t think it will help out that much. You can also get a Fulla2 and the 6xx’s and be in your budget. Haven’t heard the Fulla2 with the 6xx’s but it is a nice little device for the money. For the money you have I don’t think a amp/dac is going to help much as the cans you have really don’t require too much power (though I like most of my stuff amped) and you would see a bigger increase in sound quality with a better set of headphones. But in the end it is your money and your choice we just give you our advice as what you asked for.
I have the M50s and the HD6XX, the M50s sound BETTER on a $300+ amp, the HD6xx off a YAmaha reciever...I don't think so. The HD6XX, to get the most of them you'll want a nice amp, will they work with a phone..for sure, but you won't get the most out of them, not much really.

Dec 31, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #18 of 39
I have the M50s and the HD6XX, the M50s sound BETTER on a $300+ amp, the HD6xx off a YAmaha reciever...I don't think so. The HD6XX, to get the most of them you'll want a nice amp, will they work with a phone..for sure, but you won't get the most out of them, not much really.

sorry,but youre uninformed and simply wrong.

Dec 31, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #20 of 39
So I've been able to gather that there are basically two ways I could go from the responses so far (and thank you to everyone that is contributing, it really does help):

1) Buy a set of Sennheiser HD6xx and as much headphone amp as I can get with what's left over.
2) Buy as much headphone amp/dac as I can get my hands on for $300 (no headphone purchase).

I know that I don't have incredible cans so far, although my EarTech triple driver custom IEMs are stellar, and I've heard them at EarTech's place through a headphone amp and know it will help them to shine. I have a tiny FiiO E6 amp and all of my earphones sound a little better through it, though it might be a placebo effect- in which case I guess I'm easily fooled. So the thought of a really nice headphone amp intrigues me. But I'm also a guy who loves earphones and the thought of a better set of earphones is exciting as well.

I apologize for not being more specific until now, but I've really just had time to think about all the responses and am next to my gear to give more detail:

The vast majority of the time I'm plugging my headphones into my Yamaha CR-800 receiver, which is what I have ALL my speakers going through right now (a pair of Cerwin-Vega AT-15's and a pair of JBL SLH610's) and I've got my Kenwood KD-2055 playing through the Yamaha. Additionally, I've got my Mac Mini and PS4 connected via HDMI to a Sony PS3 3D monitor and am going out through the headphone out of the screen into an RCA splitter into the Yamaha receiver.

If I listen through my iPhone it's nearly always connected to my car stereo or if I AM out and about it's just with the goofy EarPods because I happened to have them in the truck when I went in to run an errand or via a cheap set of bluetooth earphones for working out with. So I guess the iPhone really isn't an important variable here because when I'm wanting quality sound it's with the Yamaha rig I mentioned above while relaxing in my studio.

Now with all that being said and considering most everything right now is going through the Yamaha CR-800 what do you think?

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #21 of 39
OK,quick vintage receiver 101 lesson...

Vintage receivers like your Yamaha are great for high ohm(250+)headphones.Back in the 70s there were no earbuds,or mobile devices so most headphones were of the 250-4000ohm variety.Receivers back then were designed to drive these beasts.If you look at my signature you will see all the vintage receivers that I own.All drive planars and high ohm headphones very well.

I also own a proper HP tube amp and on some of my headphones(HD250 300ohm)prefer the tubes.Others like my AKG K240 sextetts(600ohms and far less sensitive than the HD6xx)prefer the vintage receivers.

What you want to avoid are headphones like your Grados into the Yamaha...impedance mismatching can cause bass bloat and overall loss of clarity.

If I were you I'd invest in a high ohm headphone like HD6xx,HD600,HD650 or a planar like HE-500,HE-560 or HE-400(really any other than the Abyss or HE-6)All of those will sound great from your Yamaha.

For more info you can join us that love our vintage receivers as headphone amps in this thread

Dec 31, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #22 of 39

Vintage receivers like your Yamaha are great for high ohm(250+)headphones.Back in the 70s there were no earbuds,or mobile devices so most headphones were of the 250-4000ohm variety.Receivers back then were designed to drive these beasts.If you look at my signature you will see all the vintage receivers that I own.All drive planars and high ohm headphones very well.

I also own a proper HP tube amp and on some of my headphones(HD250 300ohm)prefer the tubes.Others like my AKG K240 sextetts(600ohms and far less sensitive than the HD6xx)prefer the vintage receivers.

What you want to avoid are headphones like your Grados into the Yamaha...impedance mismatching can cause bass bloat and overall loss of clarity.

If I were you I'd invest in a high ohm headphone like HD6xx,HD600,HD650 or a planar like HE-500,HE-560 or HE-400(really any other than the Abyss or HE-6)All of those will sound great from your Yamaha.

For more info you can join us that love our vintage receivers as headphone amps in this thread

That is great information! Thanks for helping out an uneducated guy figure it out! Honestly all this Ohms and Impedance stuff is pretty confusing right now, but I guess I'll catch on. So high ohm cans sounds like it might be the best investment then, all things considered.

Dec 31, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #23 of 39
So I've been able to gather that there are basically two ways I could go from the responses so far (and thank you to everyone that is contributing, it really does help):

1) Buy a set of Sennheiser HD6xx and as much headphone amp as I can get with what's left over.
2) Buy as much headphone amp/dac as I can get my hands on for $300 (no headphone purchase).

I know that I don't have incredible cans so far, although my EarTech triple driver custom IEMs are stellar, and I've heard them at EarTech's place through a headphone amp and know it will help them to shine. I have a tiny FiiO E6 amp and all of my earphones sound a little better through it, though it might be a placebo effect- in which case I guess I'm easily fooled. So the thought of a really nice headphone amp intrigues me. But I'm also a guy who loves earphones and the thought of a better set of earphones is exciting as well.

I apologize for not being more specific until now, but I've really just had time to think about all the responses and am next to my gear to give more detail:

The vast majority of the time I'm plugging my headphones into my Yamaha CR-800 receiver, which is what I have ALL my speakers going through right now (a pair of Cerwin-Vega AT-15's and a pair of JBL SLH610's) and I've got my Kenwood KD-2055 playing through the Yamaha. Additionally, I've got my Mac Mini and PS4 connected via HDMI to a Sony PS3 3D monitor and am going out through the headphone out of the screen into an RCA splitter into the Yamaha receiver

This ^
THIS! ^ I stand Corrected..

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #24 of 39
That is great information! Thanks for helping out an uneducated guy figure it out! Honestly all this Ohms and Impedance stuff is pretty confusing right now, but I guess I'll catch on. So high ohm cans sounds like it might be the best investment then, all things considered.

Youre welcome.
Dont dismiss planar headphones.many people prefer them to dynamics,and once youve heard planar bass it can be addicting.The only planars you need to avoid are the HE-6 and Abyss,both of which are way out of your price range and both require a nuclear power plant to drive.

Dec 31, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #25 of 39
I had thought I might go with the Sennheiser HD6xx ($199.99 drop on Massdrop building right now), I know you mentioned the HE 500/560 but they are out of my $300 price range. Would you suggest the HE-400 over the Sennheiser HD6xx for my situation?

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #26 of 39
Well that is your opinion and you’re welcome to it for sure. I myself do not care much for the M50’s as I think the bass is just a tad too bloated for me. Will they sound better with a better amp I’m sure they might but I don’t see them scaling too much more than that but the 6xx’s that I also have will. They sound great on my Kenzie and just superb from my Bottlehead Crack but I doubt the M50’s can stretch that far(most certain not on a OTL ampbut that is expected but still I don’t think much higher).Still think the 6xx’s will do just fine on a 70’s receiver though. As said before these are just my opinions YMMV.

Dec 31, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #27 of 39
Are planars a brand or a variation? I had thought I might go with the Sennheiser HD6xx ($199.99 drop on Massdrop building right now), I know you mentioned the HE 500/560 but is there a specific planar you'd suggest OVER the HD6xx or is it a draw?

Planars are a different type of driver technology.HifiMan&Audeze are the two heavy planar hitters.I have owned in the past the Audeze LCD-2 pre fazor,HE-500 and HE-6.

As to which is 'better',thats subjective...depends on your hearing,but I like both dynamic and planar magnetic equally.

FWIW my brother recently got into headphones and I suggested the HD650 as a good place to start in this hobby for someone who prefers a relaxed,warm-ish sound signature.(pretty much the opposite of your Grado 80e)

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #28 of 39
Well that is your opinion and you’re welcome to it for sure. I myself do not care much for the M50’s as I think the bass is just a tad too bloated for me. Will they sound better with a better amp I’m sure they might but I don’t see them scaling too much more than that but the 6xx’s that I also have will. They sound great on my Kenzie and just superb from my Bottlehead Crack but I doubt the M50’s can stretch that far(most certain not on a OTL ampbut that is expected but still I don’t think much higher).Still think the 6xx’s will do just fine on a 70’s receiver though. As said before these are just my opinions YMMV.
Great info, thanks! Was not aware receivers back then pushed so hard so yes I concur the HD6XX would be a great option then.

Dec 31, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #29 of 39
I think I may have edited my last post while some of you were replying, so I think then I'm trying to decide between the HD6xx and the HE-400 because both of them are within my $300 budget (right now it's cash and so I absolutely can't budge on that right now). Considering I'd be pushing them through my Yamaha CR-800 almost exclusively, which of these two do you think would be better? I listen to a wide variety of music including LOTS of symphonic John Williams/Michael Giacchino/James Horner type movie soundtracks, to 80's hair metal (Stryper, Motley Crue, Metallica), to jazz like Dave Brubeck and Buddy Rich, to 80s pop like Michael Jackson and Huey Lewis and the News, to opera (both of my degrees are in vocal music), to bluegrass (I live in the very heart of bluegrass music) and even video gaming.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #30 of 39
@HaggisMacJedi the HE-400 is one of my favorite headphones but they probably won’t work with what you have. They do not need the Nuclear power of the HE-6 or Abyss but do need some juice . I know some run them on speaker taps from vintage gear but don’t know about straight out of the headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back