< $300 IEM's Help!
Feb 26, 2017 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

kaiyan061815

New Head-Fier
Hello, Head-Fi! Long time lurker, first time poster. Decided to create an account just to post. I've been browsing Head-Fi ever since I started getting into "high-quality" headphones/IEM's. I've owned throughout the years:

- UE SuperFi 5vi (apparently its just a UE600 with in-line mic controls)
- UE600
- ATH-M50
- ATH-IM70 (Current)

...and a bunch of other lower-tier IEM's not worth mentioning. The ones mentioned are not ultra high end, and I don't think I have the ears (or resources) to ever go all out and purchase a set of HD800 or SE846. Anyways, I've been using the IM70's for a little over a year now, and I've gotten pretty tired of its sound. Good soundstage, punchy bass, great mids etc etc *insert common review of IM70*

So, I've set out to do an upgrade. That's the thing about audio equipment, you keep upgrading-- trying to find better ones. Which is my sole purpose here today. My actual budget is around $275-$300, maybe I'll push it to $350 if I'm really considering it. Anywho, I'm looking for a very "lively" sound. Rich, fun, musical, immersive, detailed and with clarity. I don't like IEM's with that 2D, flat type of sound. Perhaps the best way to put it would be... I'd like my music to sound like I'm sitting inside a cinema with FLAC files being blasted through ultra high performance speakers. Isolation is of course important, as I use them to play drums live and during practice sessions. I will use them for work and personal uses as well. I have plenty of music, which spans from Acoustic Alchemy, Philharmonic Orchestras, OST's, The Weeknd, Cigarettes After Sex, Lana Del Rey, MiyaGi, Bruno Mars, Paramore, Post Malone, to Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Nirvana to Amon Amarth, Asking Alexandria, Cannibal Corpse, Of Mice & Men, Texas in July, August Burns Red, and some weirder **** like Wintergatan. So obviously I need a very versatile, solid and very musical IEM. I also hate distortion, since I love listening for very minor details.

Here's what I like. For example, if I were to listen to a piano track, I don't just want to hear the note and key strokes. I want to hear/feel the impact of the hammer against the strings, I want to hear the natural reverb of the instrument in a small room, I want to hear the rich sound of the low-key being struck. If it was a properly-recorded concert, I want to hear the crowd as if I actually were at the concert, I want to hear the little mistakes that the artist makes on stage. I want to hear things like the fingers running against the strings of a guitar, the impact of a stick against a cymbal, the airiness of a flute, a rumble of a trombone. You get the point. I know its a lot to ask for something < $300. If I had a budget of maybe $500 > then perhaps it would be logical.

I've narrowed my search to these several IEM's:

In no particular order of preference, JVC HA-FX1200, MEE Audio Pinnacle P1, RHA T20. Any thoughts on these? I've read plenty of reviews, but I'm still unconvinced. If I have to spend that kind of money, I'd want to be 110% sure, right? Also, any other recommendations that would fit the above criteria?

Lastly, I'm using iPhone 6 Plus + TIDAL + (IEM). Should I purchase an amp? I figured I should, in the event that if I happened to have an IEM with high impedance on hand, it wouldn't matter too much. Also, would it matter if I plugged an IEM that doesn't need amping to an amp? I mean, lets say my iPhone has enough power to drive the T20, but I use an amp with the T20 anyway. Would it make a difference after? I understand that high impedance IEM's need external amplification for 100% performance, but what if my IEM doesn't need an amp and I use one anyway?

Apologize for the lengthy post, I'm very excited to get a new pair of IEM's.
Cheers, Head-Fi! 

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 25
  Hello, Head-Fi! Long time lurker, first time poster. Decided to create an account just to post. I've been browsing Head-Fi ever since I started getting into "high-quality" headphones/IEM's. I've owned throughout the years:

- UE SuperFi 5vi (apparently its just a UE600 with in-line mic controls)
- UE600
- ATH-M50
- ATH-IM70 (Current)

...and a bunch of other lower-tier IEM's not worth mentioning. The ones mentioned are not ultra high end, and I don't think I have the ears (or resources) to ever go all out and purchase a set of HD800 or SE846. Anyways, I've been using the IM70's for a little over a year now, and I've gotten pretty tired of its sound. Good soundstage, punchy bass, great mids etc etc *insert common review of IM70*

So, I've set out to do an upgrade. That's the thing about audio equipment, you keep upgrading-- trying to find better ones. Which is my sole purpose here today. My actual budget is around $275-$300, maybe I'll push it to $350 if I'm really considering it. Anywho, I'm looking for a very "lively" sound. Rich, fun, musical, immersive, detailed and with clarity. I don't like IEM's with that 2D, flat type of sound. Perhaps the best way to put it would be... I'd like my music to sound like I'm sitting inside a cinema with FLAC files being blasted through ultra high performance speakers. Isolation is of course important, as I use them to play drums live and during practice sessions. I will use them for work and personal uses as well. I have plenty of music, which spans from Acoustic Alchemy, Philharmonic Orchestras, OST's, The Weeknd, Cigarettes After Sex, Lana Del Rey, MiyaGi, Bruno Mars, Paramore, Post Malone, to Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Nirvana to Amon Amarth, Asking Alexandria, Cannibal Corpse, Of Mice & Men, Texas in July, August Burns Red, and some weirder **** like Wintergatan. So obviously I need a very versatile, solid and very musical IEM. I also hate distortion, since I love listening for very minor details.

Here's what I like. For example, if I were to listen to a piano track, I don't just want to hear the note and key strokes. I want to hear/feel the impact of the hammer against the strings, I want to hear the natural reverb of the instrument in a small room, I want to hear the rich sound of the low-key being struck. If it was a properly-recorded concert, I want to hear the crowd as if I actually were at the concert, I want to hear the little mistakes that the artist makes on stage. I want to hear things like the fingers running against the strings of a guitar, the impact of a stick against a cymbal, the airiness of a flute, a rumble of a trombone. You get the point. I know its a lot to ask for something < $300. If I had a budget of maybe $500 > then perhaps it would be logical.

I've narrowed my search to these several IEM's:

In no particular order of preference, JVC HA-FX1200, MEE Audio Pinnacle P1, RHA T20. Any thoughts on these? I've read plenty of reviews, but I'm still unconvinced. If I have to spend that kind of money, I'd want to be 110% sure, right? Also, any other recommendations that would fit the above criteria?

Lastly, I'm using iPhone 6 Plus + TIDAL + (IEM). Should I purchase an amp? I figured I should, in the event that if I happened to have an IEM with high impedance on hand, it wouldn't matter too much. Also, would it matter if I plugged an IEM that doesn't need amping to an amp? I mean, lets say my iPhone has enough power to drive the T20, but I use an amp with the T20 anyway. Would it make a difference after? I understand that high impedance IEM's need external amplification for 100% performance, but what if my IEM doesn't need an amp and I use one anyway?

Apologize for the lengthy post, I'm very excited to get a new pair of IEM's.
Cheers, Head-Fi! 

I think you should consider adding the Campfire Audio Orion to your list. It would seem to meet most if not all of your criteria. A bit over budget at $349.00. Worth it. You might check it out.

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 25
+1 for the Orion if possible.

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 25
I've only heard rumors. Haven't heard the AF78 yet (it's $199.99), unfortunately. As is always the case with our hobby, though, only time will sort out if they are good or not.   ---)

Too many brands and models, too little time and not enough money to try them all. I was just told that the GR07 is comparable to the models I listed. Thoughts?

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #7 of 25
Too many brands and models, too little time and not enough money to try them all. I was just told that the GR07 is comparable to the models I listed. Thoughts?

Personally, I would say the T20 pretty clearly bests the very good GR07. To me, at least. I haven't heard the JVC or the Pinnacle, sorry. I will say, the Orion is better than all of those listed thus far, IMHO. YMMV, of course, but it is really, really good.   ---)

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 25
Personally, I would say the T20 pretty clearly bests the very good GR07. To me, at least. I haven't heard the JVC or the Pinnacle, sorry. I will say, the Orion is better than all of those listed thus far, IMHO. YMMV, of course, but it is really, really good.   ---)

I believe you. And I checked their website. The Orion honestly looks like a real beauty. But unfortunately, I'm from that part of the world that smaller brands don't reach. It looks like I'll have to pass on the Orion. :/

UE900? I'm hearing so many mixed reviews that I don't even know if its good or not. Would you know how it fares against RHA T20?

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #10 of 25
I listen to the same kind of music as you and wholeheartedly recommend the LZ A4. You can get it on massdrop currently.

Oh wow, I've never heard of LZ A4. They look very industrial. They are very well within my budget. 

I'm looking deep into it, and this one is going onto my list for consideration. Thank you so much!

Edit: I've looked them up, and the 18 possible tuning options is kinda overwhelming. Are they difficult to use? I also read that some of the filters can fall off. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #11 of 25
I'm looking deep into it, and this one is going onto my I've looked them up, and the 18 possible tuning options is kinda overwhelming. Are they difficult to use? I also read that some of the filters can fall off. 
Not at all. Playing around with different filters can be interesting and fun, but in my experience, the favourite filter combo is found very quickly. My favourite is black/black which highlights the earphones' technical capabilities most properly. From this starting point on, you may check out the A4 thread to see how other combinations sound and try them out. But personally, I haven't felt the need for that yet.
Btw. If you screw the filters on tightly enough, they won't fall off.

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #12 of 25
Not at all. Playing around with different filters can be interesting and fun, but in my experience, the favourite filter combo is found very quickly. My favourite is black/black which highlights the earphones' technical capabilities most properly. From this starting point on, you may check out the A4 thread to see how other combinations sound and try them out. But personally, I haven't felt the need for that yet.
Btw. If you screw the filters on tightly enough, they won't fall off.

Isn't it a waste though? I feel as if most people would've just leave the rest of the filters inside the box once they've found the combination of filters that suits their preference. I already have enough random stuff lying around the room. Also, as much as the LZ A4 looks great and sounds great-- I have to ask: Since they're Chinese made, are there any build-issues? I haven't seen any reviews that talk about it's build in-depth. I ask because I've had a pair of IEM's that had a similar build with similar materials, only for the glued parts to fall off. I've accidentally dropped my IM70's in a cup of water and left them overnight before, and there was absolutely 0 problems, as if it were never even in that cup at all. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #13 of 25
Can't say anything about their quality control, but mine have excellent build quality. The housing is made of metal and very massive. Cable is quite sturdy, too. They are not waterproof due to their concept :wink:

Regarding the waste issue: Well, the material cost for the filters is probably a few cents. But I wouldn't advice to throw them away. Who knows, maybe you get in the mood to experiment some day :wink: The filters come in a nice tin (comparable to an altoids tin) which has also dedicated space for a pair of replacement tips. So that's not an annoying thing to have lying around :)

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #14 of 25
Can't say anything about their quality control, but mine have excellent build quality. The housing is made of metal and very massive. Cable is quite sturdy, too. They are not waterproof due to their concept :wink:

Regarding the waste issue: Well, the material cost for the filters is probably a few cents. But I wouldn't advice to throw them away. Who knows, maybe you get in the mood to experiment some day :wink: The filters come in a nice tin (comparable to an altoids tin) which has also dedicated space for a pair of replacement tips. So that's not an annoying thing to have lying around :)

Wow, man. Speaking to someone who actually owns the IEM is far better than Googling stuff haha!

Besides the LZ A4, is there anything else you can recommend?

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #15 of 25
I believe you. And I checked their website. The Orion honestly looks like a real beauty. But unfortunately, I'm from that part of the world that smaller brands don't reach. It looks like I'll have to pass on the Orion. :/

UE900? I'm hearing so many mixed reviews that I don't even know if its good or not. Would you know how it fares against RHA T20?

I haven't heard the UE900--sorry. The T20 is very good, though. Great bass. Nicely detailed.It definitely sounds good to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back