~300$ headphones
May 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

vscratch

New Head-Fier
Been looking into getting some decent sound with the rig that I'm currently building but am not sure what makes a good headset or what specs to look for. I am looking specifically for Mid/high-ranged full circumaural headphones that don't need/rely too heavily on an amp(although not necessarily), are pretty bass-heavy and have good soundstage. My budget maxes out at ~300$ but I am easily convinced (hehe).

I generally listen to every type of music leaning more towards electronic, sometimes very bassy music and rock/metal.

On the other hand I am also a gamer and while I have no interest in 985563568403.1 surround or endorsements by Fatal1ty or 44z L1ck3r, or whatever "gamer-oriented"..... I do appreciate a game with a good ambient soundtrack and noise. So if the headphones could improve my gaming experience in the sound department, that would be ace! An in-built mic (headset) would be handy too but that gets the LEAST priority.

On a side note, I'd like to get some opinions on a good soundcard to go with the headphones. As of now I'm holding on to Creative's soundblaster x-fi titanium hd.

THANKS!

May 6, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 10
The D2000 are outstanding headphones that deliver good bass/sub bass.  However, their sound stage is not that great and I don't think they would be that great for gaming.

Perhaps the Beyer DT 990 (open) or DT 770 (closed) or the Ultrasone Pro 780 (closed) or HiFi 2400 (open) will work better for you.

May 6, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 10
Well, the Beyers are good depending on what you're looking for. Those are both rather bassy for gaming, especially competitive gaming. 

Try:

Seinheiser hd598

May 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
The D2000 are outstanding headphones that deliver good bass/sub bass.  However, their sound stage is not that great and I don't think they would be that great for gaming.

Perhaps the Beyer DT 990 (open) or DT 770 (closed) or the Ultrasone Pro 780 (closed) or HiFi 2400 (open) will work better for you.

I understand that I may have asked for too many 'pros' and disregarded the fact that different headphones have their ups and downs. I do want good positional audio for gaming but the quality of the sound is more important to me... Would you suggest I get 2 different headphones?

May 6, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

They are. That's why I've suggested them. Most gamers don't like boomy bass. hd598 plus dolby headphone makes for a nice gaming experience.

Oh, my bad. I read it wrong. The more feedback I get the more I think I should get 2 different headphones...But that means my budget has to be split in 2. I'm sure the 598 is excellent for gaming but it costs 250$ from amazon. I'm a fan of bass in music.

May 6, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

I understand that I may have asked for too many 'pros' and disregarded the fact that different headphones have their ups and downs. I do want good positional audio for gaming but the quality of the sound is more important to me... Would you suggest I get 2 different headphones?

If you can afford it, you might want a different can for gaming and another for music.  In any case, this thread should be of interest to you:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-4-12-2012-akg-q701-added

Users who are viewing this thread

Back