GSurge

500+ Head-Fier
Edit: Summary of requirements
-Small enough to fit on college dorm desk
-Work in small spaces (nearfield?)
-Powered/active
-1/4" inputs
-$300-400

So I'm looking to transition from headphones to speakers. My setup area will be a small dorm room. I'm going to run the speakers from 1/4" jacks on my EMU 0404 USB. Right now I'm leaning towards the KRK Rokit 5. I don't want to spend more than $400 on two speakers, $300 for the KRKs is about right.

Are there any other speakers I should be strongly considering in the $300-400 range? I only want to go up to $400 if there is a consensus that the speakers will be noticeably improved from the $300 KRKs. Keep in mind I live in the middle of nowhere so there is no used market nearby (no craigslist). I am hoping to go to a guitar center store in the next couple of days to demo some speakers though.

My friend has some Yahama HS50's so I am going to listen to them soon. Anyone know how they compare to the Rokit 5?

Jun 7, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #2 of 11
Jun 7, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 11
Hi there. Saw your post but those are passive and I require powered speakers right now... they look nice but don't meet my requirements unfortunately.

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 11
Ah! Sorry, I just was feeling YES if you know the song.

Anyway, in that price range, powered, small, might be an improvement? My guess

Nuforce, Inc

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 11
I was going to recommend the PSB Alpha B1, but they're also passive.

Would you consider picking up a receiver of some type to power speakers? You can find them cheap or free. A receiver would really open up your speaker options. I've never been keen on self-powered speakers. There's usually a considerable compromise somewhere inside.

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was going to recommend the PSB Alpha B1, but they're also passive.

Would you consider picking up a receiver of some type to power speakers? You can find them cheap or free. A receiver would really open up your speaker options. I've never been keen on self-powered speakers. There's usually a considerable compromise somewhere inside.

Psb is always a good choice too. So is powering them. Parasound makes a Zamp which is tiny. Like 8x6"? or so. Outstanding amp btw.

The speakers which you have do not suck by any means btw. Simply tweaking them with some http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MoPAD and a decent small nearfield sub http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rubicon10s/ and a pad to keep your neighbors happy http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubDudeHD/ for instance. Just another direction.

Jun 7, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 11
Already the speakers + sub (if any) are going to be taking up 30% of my work area, so I can't sacrifice any more space for an amp. The rooms are just too cramped.

I listened to my friend's Yahama HS50M speakers... and WOW. Even my old v3 darth beyers didn't compare to those. It was very pleasurable. He recommended the Rokits so I think that's where I'm heading.

Jun 8, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 11
For about $20 extra, you can buy nice passive speakers and get one of those small tripath amps (look on ebay for lepei I beleive) and try that. I have not hear one, but am considering it. Just something to think about. I do not know, but you could even put it on a shelf somewhre totally random, and just have the speakerwire going to the speakers.

-Nkk

Jun 11, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #10 of 11
I just wanted to let you guys know I went to Guitar Center and listened to their speakers. I heard KRK Rokit 5, Rokit 6, Yamaha HS50M, and Mackie MR5. The Yamaha would be my favorite with a sub because of how clean and forward the presentation is, but they have NO bass without a sub and I don't want to bring one to school. The KRKs kind of clumped the sound together, presenting the soundstage as like a ball of sound. No separation to my ears. Bass was strong but almost seemed muddy. Overall I was not impressed with the KRKs.

The Mackies were almost like a compromise between the two: clear mids and highs but some punchy bass. I bought the Mackie MR5. If I was ever going to upgrade I'd get the Yamaha HS80M, but that's a ways off.

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back