$300.00 to spend on EITHER IEMs or Closed Can over the ear. What do you suggest?
Oct 13, 2014 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

pastortommy

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I'm really bummed today as it seems my Sennheiser Momentums were stolen.  I LOVED them in just about every possible way.  I liked that they were only 18ohm impedance which meant they were easy to drive and could easily be enjoyed via my iPhone, mac, etc.  I loved the sound signature.  They were just fantastic in every way.  One thing i DIDN'T like - they were VERY uncomfortable for sustained listening.  My ears must be too big.  

Here's my dilemma.  I want to get a new set of quality over-the-ear closed back headphones OR IEMS to replace my Momentums.  I listen at night in bed, in coffee shops when i'm writing/reading, when i'm chilling on my day off discovering music, checking out new albums, or just listening to one of my favs for the 1000000th time.  As you can tell, mobile listening is high priority for me...i prefer not to carry around a portable headphone amp...so something that can be driven by my iPhone 6, macbook pro, and nexus 7.  Though in the future, I may invest in a headphone amp.  Also - comfort is very important.  This is the main reason I won't go back to the Sennheiser Momentums, though I've enjoyed them and owned them since the first week they were available.

I want to get the best sounding pair i can for 300.00 or under.  I have seen some outstanding lists of over the ear headphones and IEMs on here, but i need your advice.  What would you get?  IEMs or a set of over the ear closed cans if you could only afford one of them. The only other pair I have is a pair of Sennheiser OCX 685i which i use soley for running and working out.  Honestly, I'm not a fan of the sound at all...but they are pretty durable and do the trick...

Most of the time, I listen to Americana/Folk/Bluegrass, Alternative Rock, Classical, Blues, and Jazz.  I know - lost of variety, but that's just me...so i need something versatile.  I'm not a bass head, I like accuracy but also loved how FUN the momentum's sounded.  

So far I've been comparing the following cans: PSB M4U 1, Mad dogs, B&W P5s and the following IEMs: V-Sonic G07, Rock It Sounds R50, B&W C5, a couple of the etymotic research options, and the Hifi-Man RE-400s.  

Any advice? 

Oct 13, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 21
Just thought about something.  What if I were to buy something cheaper than the price of the momentums and buy both a pair of headphones and IEMS?  Maybe the V-Moda M80 vocal (109 on amazon) AND the V-Sonic Gr07s (99.99 on amazon)?  That puts me at 200.00 and I'd have 2 quality headphones.  Would you suggest different ones than these if I were to go this route?

I'm a little confused though.  What is "vocal?"  -- is this the same M80s I read wonderful reviews about?  And for the Gr07s, what is this "classic" model?  Is this the same one I read wonderful reviews about? 

Oct 13, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 21
This is what I have - and am completely happy.

1. Vsonic GR07 IEM - $99
2. V-Moda XS - $199

Cost $300 and you have VERY nice IEM that will blow you away, and a nice pair of closed cans, but on ear. For sound isolation use the GR07 with foam. That way you got both covered with quality gear!

Edit - I read pastortommy's reply after I posted mine, but I'll let it stand. Love my XS for and GR07 for my eclectic musical taste which spans from electronic to new classical and folk.

Oct 13, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 21
  This is what I have - and am completely happy.

1. Vsonic GR07 IEM - $99
2. V-Moda XS - $199

Cost $300 and you have VERY nice IEM that will blow you away, and a nice pair of closed cans, but on ear. For sound isolation use the GR07 with foam. That way you got both covered with quality gear!

Edit - I read pastortommy's reply after I posted mine, but I'll let it stand. Love my XS for and GR07 for my eclectic musical taste which spans from electronic to new classical and folk.

Which Gr07 do you have?  I waded through a post that seems to suggest that the drivers are not the same in the classics that are currently available which makes me slow to purchase them.  

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 21

Which Gr07 do you have?  I waded through a post that seems to suggest that the drivers are not the same in the classics that are currently available which makes me slow to purchase them.  

I have the GR07 Classic - available in maroon, silver and blue. But good luck getting the maroon. The drivers are the same. The theory that they sound differently has been dispelled. The only downside of the Classic over the Mk II is fewer ear tips. At least that's the only difference that I know of. But the Classic is also $60 less. 

If you get the V-Moda from the company site they have a 100% money back guarantee. I really love the sound of the XS - the highs, mids an not too much bass.

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 21
So the XS are basically an updated version of the M80s…do you think they're 100.00 better than the M80s?

It's difficult to say. So much of the content here (and elsewhere) is hype and/or pretty much subjective. I believe that the physical  design of the XS is vastly improved. The XS folds and the weight is distributed on the headband. They are more comfortable to wear, and if you can't wear them, the sound doesn't matter. I haven't tried both but I buy V-Moda's pitch that they tuned the sound in the XS. At least that's what I want to believe. I do know that the high end is crisp and the bass not too much. 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/v-moda-xs

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 21
I have both the M-80 and XS and the XS sounds marginally better and both are easily driven without an amp. I have reviews of both in my signature if you want to dig further.

Also there's a Sennheiser Momentum in ear now. I don't know how they sound but they might be worth a look.

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #13 of 21
Just purchased the gr07s and will pick up the v moda XS tomorrow at best buy. EXCITED! Thanks for your responses and for the great youtube review of the xs.

I think you can't go wrong with that combination. As stated the only issue you might have is with the included tips on the GR07. Chances are one of them will be fine, but if not check out the GR07 tips thread. Good luck and keep us posted! 

I never noticed any change on burn in, but I bet others will swear there's a significant difference. More profound with the GR07 than XS.

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #15 of 21
I worry about using something that isolates when it is dangerous to do so, so as when crossing traffic intersections. Even in a gym though, using something that isolates could be very dangerous, such as when someone nearby yells watch it as they lose control of the massively heavy free weights they are lifting.

As for the traditional headphone vs IEM question, assuming isolation is needed and is safe to use, many complain about ears overheating when using headphones that isolate well. This includes myself as well. Typically though I believe on average headphones tend to last at least twice as long as IEMs with comparable sound quality, while IEMs tend to on average be less than half the price of an isolating headphone with comparable sound quality. Aside from the factors already mentioned, IEMs and a tiny player such as the Sandisk Clip+ can fit in a shirt pocket, while when someone uses a closed headphone that isolates well, the issue of where to put the headphone when it is not being used, and you are away from your home or office is also an issue. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back