300€ starter DAC+AMP or combo unit for HD660s
May 8, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #16 of 22

I would prefer matching products for a stack so i would have to get the a30 as well.
Would you reccomend that stack over the schiit stack or o2+odac ?

The modern day Schiit stack (Modi Multibit + Magni 3) is a step above the ODAC/O2 due to the multibit DAC and better power output of the Magni 3. No idea if either are a good pairing for the HD 660S though, I'd guess they're not as they aren't ideal for 150ohm headphones and I fear they'd be a sonic mismatch as well.

What about the standard modi 2 (non multibit) vs odac ?
And why do you think they arent ideal for 150ohms and even a sonic mismatch ?

If your willing to up your DAC/amp budget (like another 30 Euros).
Audio-GD NFB-11.28 DAC/amp
http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm

Their site is pretty crap though and I would have to add shipping from china (?) to the 330 euros.
I also cant find many decent reviews or comparisons on the product.

The HD660 is profiting from a powerful amp, the magni3 has plenty of Power, I would recommend it over the O2. The Aune X1s has 200mW at 300Ohm, is quiet good. It will probably also be
a good match.

Yes power wise all 3 should be strong enough, its mostly about audio quality.

Actually it seems that there is very little difference between the o2+odac and schiit stack.
In many reviews I have seen/read, they claim that they cannot hear an audible difference.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #18 of 22
I would prefer matching products for a stack so i would have to get the a30 as well.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/topping-a30-headphone-amplifier.840774/

I would put them on the same level of schiit combo, let's say that about performance I think that Topping combo is better, about build quality probably Schiit. I own onl the D30 and I can tell you that's a fantastic DAC, plus being native DSD plays the DSF files in a fantastic way, the sound is very clear . I use it with my headphones: HD600, Meze 99 classic, Hifiman he 560 and AKG K712 pro

May 8, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #19 of 22
Yup, the Topping is great, especially for the Money, you could take the complete Topping combo and there is a Mini-Rack to, it cost's around 30$.

May 8, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #20 of 22

What about the standard modi 2 (non multibit) vs odac ?
And why do you think they arent ideal for 150ohms and even a sonic mismatch ?

Their site is pretty crap though and I would have to add shipping from china (?) to the 330 euros.

Yes power wise all 3 should be strong enough, its mostly about audio quality.

Actually it seems that there is very little difference between the o2+odac and schiit stack.
In many reviews I have seen/read, they claim that they cannot hear an audible difference.

Neither amp outputs much power into high impedance loads like the HD 660S. I'd get a Little Dot MK2 instead if choosing within this price range. Or if you don't mind spending a wee bit more and getting your hands dirty, the Bottlehead Crack 1.1 DIY kit is only $200 right now. It is the ideal topology for higher impedance headphones, and outperforms other OTL tube amps 3x the price. It can be upgraded later on down the road with the Speedball kit, which should make a significant difference to the point where it is usually compared with amps costing well over $1000.

I suspect there is minimal audible difference between the Modi 2 and ODAC, and also between the O2 and Magni 3; the exception being the latter case when paired with a power hungry planar magnetic headphone such as the Fostex T50RP MKIII. The Magni 3's extra power will come in handy there, but this doesn't apply to you.

May 9, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #21 of 22
I looked into the Topping stack now and i actually really like it.
The only thing I'm concerned about is the output impedance which is 30 ohms on the 3.5mm and 10 ohms on the 6.4mm jack.
Since I will also use lower impedance headphones like my m50 and other headphones that I might buy in the future, will this be a problem?

I read that output impedance should be maximum 1/5 of the headphones impedance or it can influence the sound of the headphone.
this would mean that even on the 6.4mm i could not use anything below 50 ohms :/

(The magni 3 and o2 both have output impedances below 1ohms)

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #22 of 22
I
Their site is very basic, but I find it serves well enough (have bought from there three times, no regrets)
And the 330 Euro price includes shipping.
And with the shipper Audio-GD will claim a low value, like 70 Euros, so any import would be very low ,if any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back