$3 of tube sockets = $16.77
Feb 4, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #16 of 36
I would agree that it would be nice for the online cart to clearly state such things as the small order handling fee, and to give at least a reasonable shipping charge. I know they are a small outfit selling parts with a limited audience. Since I am in the US and they are in Canada, I expect a bit more for shipping. I can sympathize, but you need to read the fine print.

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #17 of 36
IIRC, we get about one of these posts every year... that is exactly why I look to eBay for the small purchases, and always try to negotiate the shipping.

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #18 of 36
Sorry to hear about the experience, but much larger distributors, such as mouser and digi-key all do the same. It's very difficult for them to estimate the cost of shipping of thousands of electronic parts. Image the shipping difference between one resistor, two resistor or 10,000 of them....

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #19 of 36
Basically you're going to pay more in the end if you have an automatic shipping calculation. Think of all the time spent estimating the package size and weight of each individual item and then having custom software calculate the size and weight of your order based on those values, shipping method, and destination.
The work around solution is just over estimate the shipping and charge that.
Either way you'll pay more.
As for handling charges on the $3 item - that is pretty much standard. Also definitely read your invoice before paying.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So basically, you were lazy and now you're upset with someone else?

I'm not mad at anyone, I've admitted 3 times now that I screwed up and was not careful enough. I was just trying to warn others like me, busy and assuming $3 would end up somewhere in the neighbourhood of $3. That's it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
like on the PDF emailed? Plus a reasonable guess for shipping

As a person living in canada have you never shipped a package of roughly the same size and weight as you expected to receive?

I have, many, many times. I've shipped hundreds of items around NA and the world, the package was much larger than I expected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, they clearly state this on their webpage. MANY smaller supply houses operate this way. If you want unusual parts, you unfortunately have to deal with the people selling them. Sorry, amazon dosnt sell anything particularly uncommon, like 7 pin sockets.

Please don't get caught up on that, it was an offhanded comment. I can admit I've never bought from a small supply house. For the fifth time, I made a mistake and did not read clearly enough. I did not have experience dealing with a company such as this. There are likely others in the same boat, I am warning them to be more careful. There is no reason to get mad or confrontational.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as I will surely not be doing so anymore

you admitted to making a mistake, and it was your fault for not reading the website. Okay. So, why hold that against the company in question and refuse to give them any future business? On top of that, you come and make a public announcement stating that you are no longer giving business to said company, who happens to be a Head-Fi Sponsor?!

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you admitted to making a mistake, and it was your fault for not reading the website. Okay. So, why hold that against the company in question and refuse to give them any future business? On top of that, you come and make a public announcement stating that you are no longer giving business to said company, who happens to be a Head-Fi Sponsor?!

Because I don't want to pay $16.77 for $3 worth of parts, whatever the reason. I also don't think they were upfront with the shipping costs, but ultimately that's just related to the fact that I don't like paying 550% of what an item is worth.

Feb 4, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not mad at anyone, I've admitted 3 times now that I screwed up and was not careful enough. I was just trying to warn others like me, busy and assuming $3 would end up somewhere in the neighbourhood of $3. That's it.

<SNIP> I am warning them to be more careful. There is no reason to get mad or confrontational.

Here's my problem, if all you wanted to do was make people aware you could have avoided the overly sarcastic title (<3). As it stands what you did was basically create a thread designed to hurt PCX, despite admitting that the fault was all yours. $5 to ship any package is perfectly reasonable when dealing with a commercial entity and the $5 handling charge is too. Could they have been more transparent about the handling fee, probably, but you didn't live up to your end of the bargain and even review the invoice that they sent you before shipping. I'm guessing that this invoice showed the $5 handling fee, if it didn't they I would say that you have a beef with them on that charge and the mature thing to do about that would have been to contact them and resolve the issue. Instead you made another bad choice.

Feb 4, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my problem, if all you wanted to do was make people aware you could have avoided the overly sarcastic title (<3). As it stands what you did was basically create a thread designed to hurt PCX, despite admitting that the fault was all yours. $5 to ship any package is perfectly reasonable when dealing with a commercial entity and the $5 handling charge is too. Could they have been more transparent about the handling fee, probably, but you didn't live up to your end of the bargain and even review the invoice that they sent you before shipping. I'm guessing that this invoice showed the $5 handling fee, if it didn't they I would say that you have a beef with them on that charge and the mature thing to do about that would have been to contact them and resolve the issue. Instead you made another bad choice.

If you've got such a problem with the thread, than just delete it. I was relating an experience I had, and if I had noticed a thread like this before I ordered with PCX, I would have appreciated it. I had no experience with small parts suppliers, and I'm sure there are many others in the same boat. I expected a certain level of information and customer service, and didn't get it. That was clearly all my mistake, what with the explanation about how I've been socially engineered. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to know exactly how much you're going to pay before you're charged it, but I must be wrong. I changed the title, I was just joking around.

I'm not trying to hurt PCX, I harbour no ill will or animosity towards them. Clearly many people here love them and the way they do things, and are quite willing to get mad at me for relating what happened. $16 is not going to mean I can't eat, and I'm sure this thread will not stop anyone from ordering from PCX. It might give a fellow rushed moron who has been socially engineered a reason to slow down for a second on an unfamiliar site and read some more.

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #25 of 36
Gonna be honest, I agree with this thread. Why does pcx get to charge $16.77 for this order when some guy on ebay would have charged $2.93, probably with free shipping?

Furthermore, they don't tell you what the bill will be until AFTER it's charged to your credit card? How many sites still function like that? It's ridiculous and completely unnecessary.

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #26 of 36
I work for a dropship services firm. I'm in and out of warehouses all the time. And I'm actually been shocked that Newark, Digikey, Mouser et al don't charge me a handling fee. I wish they would! Pick & pack on some of my 10 line, 20 qty, $10 orders must cost more in labor than they make on the sale, and it's not like I'm going to turn any of my "prototypes" into a bold new product. A modest handling fee would keep the DIY market interesting for suppliers who'd rather be fulfilling million dollar orders from Philips or Global Foundary.

Such prices should well posted. But hey, pcX's Order Terms, it's well above the fold. Such prices should be on the order form. But if you're a small company with better ways to spend your money than hire some $100 an hour hacker to customize your off the shelf order management software, I can understand why you'd rely on your customers to be smart enough to read up on your policies.

I know you feel slighted, but there's no crime here other than cheap order management software and an unwary consumer. If what you're trying to say is "Caveat Emptor," well yeah.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #27 of 36
I totally agree with RedLeader about the handling fee, I have no problem that it exists, but it would cost them nothing to have it show on the cart.
I'm actually surprised that something that simple has not been implemented yet, not even a little note saying you'll be charged $5 if your order is under $25.

As for the shipping costs...so far I've had no problem with partsconneXion, I find their shipping prices are fair (at least when shipping to Portugal).
If you don't want to find out how much it is after you've submitted the order, just send them an e-mail asking how much it would cost to ship X, Y and Z products.
I've done that a few times, and that way I know there won't be any surprises.

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #28 of 36
The first time I ordered from PCX, I remember being pissed about the $5 handling charge. I then CAREFULLY read their website and found the information. I chalked it up as a lesson learned. Since then, I have bought several times from PCX and make sure my order is above the $25 limit which is very easy to do considering their selection. I haven't found any other online retailer that has the selection of caps they have. And, their prices are very good.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyMac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Furthermore, they don't tell you what the bill will be until AFTER it's charged to your credit card? How many sites still function like that? It's ridiculous and completely unnecessary.

Let's see.. Mouser, Digikey, Newark, Allied, MCMInOne, B&D, they all do this.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's see.. Mouser, Digikey, Newark, Allied, MCMInOne, B&D, they all do this.

That didn't happen to me on Digikey, the final order value was exactly what was charged on my CC and they clearly stated that VAT would be charged on delivery.

Similar for Farnell (Newark), they clearly stated that the value charged would be the total plus taxes (which vary from country to country).

There were no hidden fees.
With partsconneXion you wouldn't know about the $5 handling until you submitted your order (assuming you didn't read order terms like the OP).

I'm not against the fee itself, just the fact that they could easily show it when you add items to the cart but instead they don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back