3 new Ultrasone Signature Headphones: Master, Natural and Pulse
Feb 11, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #242 of 458
Haha - yeah I think they are the better option again for casual listening.

And for me, for comfort reasons - I just do not like pads that heat up like that.

Had a rogue night yesterday!

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #244 of 458
Reliving my youth by listening to some old school "car audio bass" music through headphones, just like I used to do in the early 90s. I was listening with the Masters but decided to give the Pros a go and I have to say I think the bass on these is THICC. They're not as technically proficient as the Masters, but I do think they're a more fun listen with stuff like this. I'm very glad I decided to try Ultrasone headphones without any preconceived notions because these things absolutely excel at bass heavy genres but not letting you miss anything.

pro.jpg

Feb 11, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #245 of 458
Well, now confirmed on my Masters and Pulses. The screws holding the driver plate to the cups were loose from the factory. In my case one side was loose. Symptoms of this include:
  • Difficulty in getting your ears in the right spot to get a correct image/sound, or
  • Sharp treble with an airy sound, or
  • Sounds are squished or compressed, or
  • The imaging seems off (one of the sides seems louder or more dominant), or
  • Your sound is overly warm, the bass is blooming, and you've got a flat stage.
Basically if your Signatures don't sound amazing, you've got this issue. This issue can happen with any of the Signatures. My Masters were lean and airy, and my Pulse was overly warm and flat. I reset the screws on the Master, Pulse, and Naturals. In all three cases the imaging and tone were improved.

The fix:
  1. Take the ear pads off of both cups.
  2. Using a small phillips head screwdriver completely loosen all 6 screws (3 on each cup). Once complete you should be able to pull the driver plates away from the cups. Put the driver plates back on the cups to re-seat them. There's a notch at the top of the driver plate and cup where the plates and cups align.
  3. Place one finger in the middle of the driver plate and apply gentle pressure to hold it down. Applying gentle force to the screwdriver, tighten each screw by three full turns. Make sure the screws are turning smoothly. If they seem like they are going in a little off center then unscrew them again and re-seat the driver plates again. The screws should go in smooth. Continue to tighten each screw 3 turns each until all the screws are tight. As soon as the screwdriver starts to slip or feels resistance with gentle pressure, stop tightening the screws. You don't want to overighten them. Generally when you overtighten them the sound will become overly warm and boomy.
  4. Put the pads back on and listen.
This will take a few attempts to get the headphones into the goldilocks zone. If you put the headphones on and say to yourself "is this how they are supposed to sound? They sound good, so maybe this is it?". No, that's not it. Repeat the steps again. One of the times that you do this you will put the headphones on and your jaw will drop. You'll instantly know that you've found how the headphones are supposed to sound, there won't be any question in your mind.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #246 of 458
Haha, yeah and now next day I am back on the Merino. The vegans got too hot for me on my ears, I'm sensitive to that heat buildup.
:) I just switched to merino as well, I prefer stock leather...

I'm back with the Merino's as well. Now that my Master's are fixed the stock leathers are providing a gorgeous sound. The only improvement I can see from going to different pads will be to expand the stage and gain comfort, but expanding the stage will come at the expense of some dynamics. The stock leathers provide a very complete and well rounded sound that is going to be difficult to beat.

Feb 11, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #247 of 458
Sorry for my message, but I still keep thinking that ultrasone hfi 580 and signature dj are the same. Here are my arguments 1) The frequency response graphs are very similar. 2) If you tighten the bolts by 580 and put leather pads like signature dj, you get signature dj. 3) The speakers are identical in my opinion. 4) I now have 580, used to have a signature dj (sold). The sound of the 580x is very much like a DJ.

Feb 11, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #248 of 458
I have a few Brainwavz pads on the way. Eager to try them out on the Pulse. Was looking at ordering the silver velour pads from ultrasone's website as well, but they've upped their shipping costs. What used to be €9 shipping, is now €20.... to France.

Still finding the treble a little too sharp at times, although it has smoothened out tremendously. I don't think I've come across another brand of headphones that change so significantly with burn in.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #249 of 458
I don't know what I was thinking about those other pads yesterday, you're right on about the merino... Gorgeous sound is the right word. It makes them very satisfying. I wouldn't personally bother with pad swapping on this headphone, merino pads are the way to go. Funny what a day can do!
I'm back with the Merino's as well. Now that my Master's are fixed the stock leathers are providing a gorgeous sound. The only improvement I can see from going to different pads will be to expand the stage and gain comfort, but expanding the stage will come at the expense of some dynamics. The stock leathers provide a very complete and well rounded sound that is going to be difficult to beat.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #250 of 458
Sorry for my message, but I still keep thinking that ultrasone hfi 580 and signature dj are the same. Here are my arguments 1) The frequency response graphs are very similar. 2) If you tighten the bolts by 580 and put leather pads like signature dj, you get signature dj. 3) The speakers are identical in my opinion. 4) I now have 580, used to have a signature dj (sold). The sound of the 580x is very much like a DJ.
Really really not my friend

Feb 16, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #252 of 458
Burning in a pair of Pulse... and I wish they'd hurry up, lol.

Feb 17, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #254 of 458
Congrats :) I hope you enjoy them.

Now the EDM wars begin between your headphones.

Feb 17, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #255 of 458
Thanks, folks. I did give them a quick listen the day they came in. I definitely see me using them as one of my "irresponsible listening" (meaning: too loud) headphones, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back