3 mics ranging from sub-$100 to $2000. Can you hear a difference? (Mention headphones used.)
Jan 13, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #16 of 47
  First, I'd like to say that I heard some audible noise in Mic A. 
After that, I couldn't tell that much of a difference between mics B and C, although (and it could very well be my imagination) it did seem like Mic C was a bit on the brighter side. 
B was my favorite.

Thanks a lot for participating. Once we get 10 responders (7 more to go), I will share the answers here and an interesting discussion should follow.

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #17 of 47
  Thanks a lot for participating. Once we get 10 responders (7 more to go), I will share the answers here and an interesting discussion should follow.

Can't wait.  Should be an interesting topic.  Too bad no one else seems to think so.

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #18 of 47

Can't wait.  Should be an interesting topic.  Too bad no one else seems to think so.

I just sent you a private message identifying the mics. I decided to do the same for everyone participating in this test.

I simply ask that you don't reveal it here. Looking forward to the discussion once we get the next seven people to respond.

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #19 of 47
Haven't read beyond downloading the files from Gdrive. My preference in order, #2, #3, #1. 
1 sounded a bit muddy to me. 2 seemed most neutral, slightly favoring the highs, not terribly exciting. 3 had fatter mids and sounded more open. I'm still questioning my preference of #2 but I guess I went for what I perceived to be the more accurate sound.

Edit for second listen.

Listened again at home with a dac and headphones. Earlier listening was done with IEMs via headphone jack from tablet. I'm sticking to my original order of preference. #1 still sounds bad with crunchy crinkly diaphragm noises. I now clearly hear pedal and hammer noises on all 3 recordings and still prefer #2 overall. Hard to say which is the high $ mic, 2 or 3? I'm sitting in my seat, but I'm only using the edge!

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #20 of 47
This should be fun :D  Especially given the stupid pricing of some microphones which are clearly technically inferior (hello u87)

Anyways, I'm wagering B > C > A, in terms of technicals

"A" sounded relatively dead, something just wasnt all there in terms of presence (sorry, I'm no good at the descriptive lingo)
"C" had some kind of slight bloat to it, though it was definitely more enjoyable and sounded crisper than "A"

Honestly I enjoyed the sound of C more than B, but I'd bet B was the better mic technically... as for which is the more expensive mic, who the hell knows lol

Can't wait until the answer is revealed, I always love these tests

Jan 14, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #21 of 47
I'm using VModa LP2s, and I thought that C sounded the most clear, followed by A and then B. Actually, B sounded the most clearly muddy, especially during the trills, but I only listened a few times so that could just be my imagination.

I suppose it'd be easier to tell them apart if there were more instruments playing, since it should be more difficult to record many different instruments with fidelity than a single one. But it's not like I know anything about "sound science," I was browsing randomly and found this thread.

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #23 of 47
all files sounded equally terrible. Apart from the noise, they all had major distortions. 

regarding differences...

A. sounded like had something missing compared to B

B. similar to A but slightly better quality

C. brighter than the other two, but probably technically inferior

regardless of the slight differences, every mic used is c***.

edit: I used speakers

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #25 of 47
Initial impressions from youtube
A: Ouch
B: Decay sounds more natural
C: Sounds brighter then B
So my ordering is B>C>A
I'll listen to the files when I'm a bit more awake, I assume 1/2/3 are A/B/C?
Headphones: Grado PS500
Edit: Took a listen of the files but my opinions haven't substantially changed from my initial impressions.

Feb 6, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #27 of 47
My opinion is the microphones are too close. The placement would work in a pop track, or for reinforcement. They are all very bright A and C are painfully bright. I don't know what the processing you ran it through did but it seemed to add artifacts and make the decays seem unnatural. A and C both has a distortion near the end. With positioning of the microphones in the recording I would pick B, if the microphones were further away C seem like it would a better choice. 

I listened to them on K240 MKII with a dragonfly.

Feb 7, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #28 of 47
  My opinion is the microphones are too close. The placement would work in a pop track, or for reinforcement. They are all very bright A and C are painfully bright. I don't know what the processing you ran it through did but it seemed to add artifacts and make the decays seem unnatural. A and C both has a distortion near the end. With positioning of the microphones in the recording I would pick B, if the microphones were further away C seem like it would a better choice. 

I listened to them on K240 MKII with a dragonfly.

The mics weren't too close, although, I agree, for a classical solo recording (especially Chopin) they could be placed farther. But they were at a safe distance, regardless. Plenty of classical recordings are made this way.

I didn't do any processing on these except I used Audition's Noise Removal tool on them to make it impossible for people to tell them apart by the characteristically high level of self noise on the cheaper mics.

Thanks for participating. Just sent you the Key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back