3.5mm jack connector/cable for Sennheiser HD595
Mar 9, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #16 of 24
i have tried and own the neutrik tiny plug, and as said in my first post it scratches and grays easily, also i have found trouble with it closing fully.  As such i wouldn't consider it high quality despite the fact that it has a good rubber strain relief.  the rean plug does have a wing-crimp style cable clamp but that doesn't make it bad, and because it has no strain relief i recommended using shrink tube as a spacer/strain relief.  Lastly i don't like right angle plugs, but that's kinda personal i guess.

you want high quality go with viablue labs.  That's high quality
http://www.viablue.de/com/phono_plugs_3_5_t6s.shtml

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #17 of 24

Quote:
i have tried and own the neutrik tiny plug, and as said in my first post it scratches and grays easily, also i have found trouble with it closing fully.  As such i wouldn't consider it high quality despite the fact that it has a good rubber strain relief.  the rean plug does have a wing-crimp style cable clamp but that doesn't make it bad, and because it has no strain relief i recommended using shrink tube as a spacer/strain relief.  Lastly i don't like right angle plugs, but that's kinda personal i guess.

you want high quality go with viablue labs.  That's high quality
http://www.viablue.de/com/phono_plugs_3_5_t6s.shtml

OK - I understand.

Actually, closing fully is not a problem at all and is not really expected.  As you screw the end on it compresses the clamp - if you have a thick cable it will be fully clamped and tight before it hits the end-stop.  But this is normal with all connectors of this type - large XLR connectors, speaker connectors, standard jacks, etc., it's just normal.

Not sure what you mean by "grays" - do you mean changing colour to grey?  I have never found this.

I have never had a scratching problem - at least no more than any other connector.

Rt.angle is personal - but I prefer them for headphones because if you pull on the cable it just tends to rotate the plug in the socket rather than bending or damaging the plug, the socket, or the equipment.

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #18 of 24
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg714/scaled.php?server=714&filename=img2612cc.jpg&res=medium
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg339/scaled.php?server=339&filename=img2611si.jpg&res=medium

here's what i mean.  I don't have the nickle version, only the black.  But the nickle version might show wear less.

my rean plug closes completely because it doesn't have a chuck style clamp.

if the neutrik black plug didn't show wear, closed completely, and was straight rather than right angled then i'd probably love it.

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #19 of 24

Quote:
i have to diagree that the neutrik tiny plug is of "very high quality",  the rean plug is even better than it at 1/4 the cost

Ummmmm neutrik is rean and rean is neutrik.

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #21 of 24
Thank you all for your replies.

I'm not thrilled about the idea of a plug which accommodates large cables and uses crimp fastening. It is my feeling that the plug will feel loose. So the Neutrik NTP3RC-B seems like the best option now.

Does anyone know any other 3.5mm jack connectors with this chuck type strain relief? I have been searching for other plugs my self, but most of the sites selling this kind of electronics are not search friendly and look pretty old. So I guess you need to know someone who know some nice plugs :p

Mar 17, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #22 of 24
Neutrik owns Rean, the company today exists for budget minded equipment, it is considered second rate to Neutrik at a lower price point.

THe 3.5mm angle plug is the only connector I have seen to have decent strain relief. ViaBlue offers a decent plug with a screw clamp, it's overpriced but a decent plug.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #23 of 24

Quote:

Could I persuade you to name / link to the jack connectors you chose?

Best regards
Wuhtzu

Sorry for the long delay on this post.  But the plug I bought is 3.5mm REAN neutrik.  Bought 4 on Ebay.  Wont even begin to say how great it is.  It worked is all.  It does not have the strain relief many would want but I could not find a better alternative.  The most important aspect is the soldering.  The cable does not use rubber insulation.  It is painted.  So proper clearing of the insulation and soldering is key.  I used a lighter to burn away the insulation, trimmed the wire and then soldered.

The net is I am very happy with this solution.  But I am never pull the pug by anything other then the plug itself.  So I have had no issues with reliability once I learned the proper way to clean and tin the wire before soldering.

Bob Silver 

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #24 of 24
You mean painted enamel insulation?  lol
Something like that!

If the strain relief is lacking, use adhesive-lined heatshrink next time to create the strain relief that you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back